Author Topic: I just finished my online refresher course to be an election judge  (Read 901 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
It took 3 hours.  The in-class version is only 2 hours, but all the classes were full.

There was an error in the training.  They said the number of ballots cast at the end of the day has to match the numbers of signatures in the roster.  They forgot about abandoned ballots that are found in a booth, which go in the spoiled ballots folder but are marked differently (covered earlier in the course.)  Somehow I don't think I should provide feedback about that; if it happens in the precinct I'm at (I'm working the closing shift) I'll just remind the head judge to check the spoiled ballots folder.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
Re: I just finished my online refresher course to be an election judge
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »
How many work closing? Is there an R and D judge?

Not that I someone would stuff the box at the end of the day but people on both sides have done some strange crap this year.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 10:49:25 AM »
Everybody working 2nd shift or all-day stays for closing and signs the tally.  Also the polling place is open to the public after the polls close until we are done.  There are some tasks during the day that require 2 judges of different parties (presumably an R and a D.)
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:43:33 AM »
Yep, Just about everything we do requires that all judges review or at least one D and R judge observe the procedure and sign off.

However, I'm in Dupage county and we do things the Legal, Moral and Ethical way (at least in my polling place.)

And what is this "second shift" of which you speak.  We are there from 0515 (polls open at 0600 and close at 1900) until we are done processing.  My goal is to be first to turn and home in my bed by 2100.  I and a D judge have to take all the ballots and related stuff to the Election Commission, other I could be like the other judges and be home by 2030ish or earlier.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 09:36:53 AM »
Yep, Just about everything we do requires that all judges review or at least one D and R judge observe the procedure and sign off.

However, I'm in Dupage county and we do things the Legal, Moral and Ethical way (at least in my polling place.)

And what is this "second shift" of which you speak.  We are there from 0515 (polls open at 0600 and close at 1900) until we are done processing.  My goal is to be first to turn and home in my bed by 2100.  I and a D judge have to take all the ballots and related stuff to the Election Commission, other I could be like the other judges and be home by 2030ish or earlier.   

Some of us (not the head judge) only work a half a day.  5:30-2:00, or 2:00-close.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 12:05:49 AM »
Not here.  0515-the polls close and the stuff is either put away and the ballots (etc) turned in to the election commission.  or roughly 2100 (or later....)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.