Author Topic: So, why did Trump win the election?  (Read 22807 times)

grampster

• friend
Re: So, why did Trump win the election?
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
The EC is about defeating factionalism as much as it is about giving low population states a reason to actually vote.

The Founders were extremely worried about factionalism.  The fact that the Democrat party has, as a matter of policy, created many factions (race, income, gender, national origin, sexual proclivities etc) and then swept them under their wing verifies the fear of the Founders.  The tyranny of the majority can be made up of unifying various factions of so called "minorities".  As a result we need the EC more now than in any time in the past.  This election points that out very well.  If the Democrat party had merely remained the party of the working middle class instead of the conglomeration of the factions they saw they needed to do to remain in power, they probably would never be able to elect another D president, ever.  Now, without the EC there would never be another R president.  The two most dangerous people to run for office, Gore and HRC were kept from power because of the genius of the Founders and the EC. Obama was an aberration, but got elected because of the factions of the D party and the "white guilt" of quite a few Rs.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2016, 07:00:29 PM »
The EC is about defeating factionalism as much as it is about giving low population states a reason to actually vote.

The Founders were extremely worried about factionalism.  The fact that the Democrat party has, as a matter of policy, created many factions (race, income, gender, national origin, sexual proclivities etc) and then swept them under their wing verifies the fear of the Founders.  The tyranny of the majority can be made up of unifying various factions of so called "minorities".  As a result we need the EC more now than in any time in the past.  This election points that out very well.  If the Democrat party had merely remained the party of the working middle class instead of the conglomeration of the factions they saw they needed to do to remain in power, they probably would never be able to elect another D president, ever.  Now, without the EC there would never be another R president.  The two most dangerous people to run for office, Gore and HRC were kept from power because of the genius of the Founders and the EC. Obama was an aberration, but got elected because of the factions of the D party and the "white guilt" of quite a few Rs.

I question your analysis. See Federalist No. 10.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »
every time it's contradicted the popular vote, it has kept Democrats out of office. It kept Al Gore, et al, out of office. Those are all the positive effects you could possibly need.
While I'm sure that "LOL it's bad for the libs!!1!" is enough reason for some people, I'm more interested in the non partisan principles that justify it.

Now, without the EC there would never be another R president. 
Trump lost the popular vote by less than 1%. That doesn't seem insurmountable at all. Having a president that received fewer votes than their opponent reduces their legitimacy. I can't believe everyone seems to think that conservative ideas can't win the majority of the nations support.

Out of curiosity - are there ANY other elected positions that work like president with the electoral college? We directly elect senators and congressmen and judges and mayors via popular vote right? Why not have electors for those positions too? Slice and dice and allocate electors to counties and townships - people can't be trusted to vote directly because they'll vote for the wrong thing!
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2016, 08:13:02 PM »
Not all Asians - one of my best friends is a natural born American of Cantonese ancestry, and he's every bit as conservative as I am.

What I really find puzzling is the number of Jews who support civilian disarmament, JPFO notwithstanding.
That's what confuses me. Most of my Asians friends and family are conservative. And yet some are dems.
And the only connection I see for Jewish folks being dems is that folks in academia and those who associate tend to be dems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2016, 08:13:22 PM »
While I'm sure that "LOL it's bad for the libs!!1!" is enough reason for some people...

There is absolutely nothing funny about keeping America's oldest, largest, most effective hate group away from the presidency. We're talking about the party of Southern segregation, and of the Klan, and that proudly wears the blood of tens of million of innocent children on its hands. The party that never stops dividing Americans by race, religion, and gender, and that works tirelessly to keep less affluent Americans dependent on government, partly by convincing them that half the country hates them. This Democratic party continually invents new ways to stifle the attempts of working and middle-class Americans to better themselves and their communities. That the electoral college has occasionally denied them the executive branch is perhaps not the founders' intent, but it is a rather obvious benefit.

Out of curiosity - are there ANY other elected positions that work like president with the electoral college? We directly elect senators and congressmen and judges and mayors via popular vote right? Why not have electors for those positions too? Slice and dice and allocate electors to counties and townships - people can't be trusted to vote directly because they'll vote for the wrong thing!

Are you unaware that the Constitutional originally called for senators to be elected by the state governments, rather than by the people, themselves; and that the founders had a reason for this, as well? Are you also unaware that the presidency/vice-presidency are the only positions for which all American voters may cast a ballot? These may help you consider the matter.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2016, 08:23:08 PM »

We elect senators by direct popular vote now, but that's not the way the Founders set it up. Originally, the House was elected directly by the people but the Senate was elected by the legislatures of the respective states. In effect, the House was supposed to represent the people and the Senate was supposed to represent the states.

{Edit} DRAT! Fistful beat me to it!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2016, 08:27:35 PM »
Are you unaware that the Constitutional originally called for senators to be elected by the state governments, rather than by the people, themselves; and that the founders had a reason for this, as well? Are you also unaware that the presidency/vice-presidency are the only positions for which all American voters may cast a ballot? These may help you consider the matter.

I was aware of both of those but can't say either have lead me to support the electoral college. With governors being the state level equivalent of the president - wouldn't it make sense to have gubernatorial elections decided via county level electors instead of the statewide popular vote? Why not do the same for senators or even with mayor and city districts?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2016, 09:12:28 PM »
I was aware of both of those but can't say either have lead me to support the electoral college. With governors being the state level equivalent of the president - wouldn't it make sense to have gubernatorial elections decided via county level electors instead of the statewide popular vote? Why not do the same for senators or even with mayor and city districts?

Each state and municipality is free to decide how their elected leadership is chosen. There is nothing in the US Constitution that dictates such.

However, the US Constitution DOES spell out that the STATES elect the President. Again, each state is free to choose how their state decides it own process.

If we were to make the grievous mistake of doing away with the Electoral College and going with a straight popular vote for president then the East and West coast will forever more decide who is elected president with us poor ignorant rural hicks out here in flyover country having no say in the matter.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2016, 09:48:29 PM »

us poor ignorant rural hicks out here in flyover country having no say in the matter.
Same problem exists at the state level, the electoral college doesn't do anything for the republicans in CA! If it was popular vote at least a CA republican could make a difference.

Right now it's relatively close in popular vote. Like I said, Trump was within 1% on the popular vote so I don't understand why everyone thinks that would mean permanent democrat control. But at some point, if urban areas keep growing doesn't it become a problem to declare a winner that received significantly fewer votes then their opponent? Heck, lets throw in some superdelegates while we're at it. Make sure people get what's best for them instead of what they vote for.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2016, 11:05:29 PM »
What part of the US Constitution dictates how a state conducts  it's own internal political process? (Outside of Equal Opportunity Types stuff)
Commifornia is free to conduct elections, within certain strictures, any way the electorate sees fit to tolerate.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2016, 11:38:15 PM »
What part of the US Constitution dictates how a state conducts  it's own internal political process? (Outside of Equal Opportunity Types stuff)
Commifornia is free to conduct elections, within certain strictures, any way the electorate sees fit to tolerate.

The states can change how they do things and I'm saying it should be changed. I don't think it will be, the powers that be have little interest in doing so, but there are other options and in my opinion they're better.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2016, 12:03:10 AM »

Up until Illinois (Go us !!!!) caused the creation of the 17th Amendment, Senators were chosen by their state's legislatures.  Making them a sort of Electoral College.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2016, 12:37:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhUXSX3ZnpE

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html?_r=0

Trump won 53% of white chicks voting, and got 7% more of the black vote than Romney did in 2012. Compared to Romney, he got 8 times more black support,* 8% more Latinos (white Hispanics strike again!), 11% more Asian support, and 5% more of those under 30. He got 16% higher support from those making less than $30k/year, and 6% more from those making between $30k and $50k. Romney did 4% better with Republicans, but Trump got 5% more Democrat votes. Compared to Romney, he did better across all categories of religion or non-religion, except for the Jewish vote.

*Running against Obama, Romney got but 1% of black votes.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2016, 01:22:33 AM »

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6s7jB6-GoU

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2016, 06:18:54 AM »
Interesting read. Mike Rowe weighs in
http://tribunist.com/news/mike-rowe-finally-weighs-in-on-trumps-victory-hillarys-supporters-wont-like-this/

Decent analysis, IMHO.

Quote from: Mike Rowe
I think a majority of people who voted in this election did so in spite of their many misgivings about the character of both candidates. That’s why it’s very dangerous to argue that Clinton supporters condone lying under oath and obstructing justice. Just as it’s equally dangerous to suggest a Trump supporter condones gross generalizations about foreigners and women.

I disagree. Clinton supporters DID condone her lying under oath and obstructing justice, by the simple act of voting for her. Lying under oath and obstructing justice are illegal. Hillary's lying under oath and obstruction of justice pertained to direct threats to national security. Trump supporters DID condone his verbal gaffes. Verbalizing generalities about "other kinds" of people isn't illegal, and doesn't pose a direct threat to national security.

Quote from: Mike Rowe
These two candidates were the choices we gave ourselves, and each came with a heaping helping of vulgarity and impropriety. Yeah, it was dirty job for sure, but the winner was NOT decided by a racist and craven nation – it was decided by millions of disgusted Americans desperate for real change. The people did not want a politician. The people wanted to be seen. Donald Trump convinced those people that he could see them. Hillary Clinton did not.

That's it, in a nutshell.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »
If you want the electoral college to be more representative then you should support a movement that splits the electors votes in your state based on geography and/or population density.

Of course that is not what the Dems want. That would have pealed off some votes in Illinois for example as Chicago pretty much guarantees all IL elector votes go to the Dem candidate. If it was more representative the rest of the state would end up with some elector votes.

If we stop importing millions of third world Democrat voters we may actually get to the point where a popular vote would always go our way.     
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »
If you want the electoral college to be more representative then you should support a movement that splits the electors votes in your state based on geography and/or population density.

Of course that is not what the Dems want. That would have pealed off some votes in Illinois for example as Chicago pretty much guarantees all IL elector votes go to the Dem candidate. If it was more representative the rest of the state would end up with some elector votes.

If we stop importing millions of third world Democrat voters we may actually get to the point where a popular vote would always go our way.     

Right on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »
See: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=53170.0

^ That's the "Hail Mary" thread.

We ought to start our own counter-petition based on this:

The Founders were extremely worried about factionalism.  The fact that the Democrat party has, as a matter of policy, created many factions (race, income, gender, national origin, sexual proclivities etc) and then swept them under their wing verifies the fear of the Founders.  The tyranny of the majority can be made up of unifying various factions of so called "minorities".  As a result we need the EC more now than in any time in the past.  This election points that out very well.  If the Democrat party had merely remained the party of the working middle class instead of the conglomeration of the factions they saw they needed to do to remain in power, they probably would never be able to elect another D president, ever.  Now, without the EC there would never be another R president.  The two most dangerous people to run for office, Gore and HRC were kept from power because of the genius of the Founders and the EC. Obama was an aberration, but got elected because of the factions of the D party and the "white guilt" of quite a few Rs.

...and some of the other comments on that thread.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2016, 10:11:49 AM »

Same problem exists at the state level, the electoral college doesn't do anything for the republicans in CA! If it was popular vote at least a CA republican could make a difference.

Right now it's relatively close in popular vote. Like I said, Trump was within 1% on the popular vote so I don't understand why everyone thinks that would mean permanent democrat control. But at some point, if urban areas keep growing doesn't it become a problem to declare a winner that received significantly fewer votes then their opponent? Heck, lets throw in some superdelegates while we're at it. Make sure people get what's best for them instead of what they vote for.

The thing on the popular vote...if you remove LA, The Bay Area and NYC (which all were skewed extremely heavily toward HRC) , the popular vote went overwhelmingly for Trump, like a ~4 million vote margin. 

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2016, 10:26:36 AM »
Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6s7jB6-GoU

Already watched it after someone posted it on the last page.

Trump is even with me on this!

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2016, 10:33:45 AM »

I think that would be a step in the right direction for sure.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2016, 11:01:14 AM »
I think that would be a step in the right direction for sure.

Causing even more Gerrymandered congressional districts, to make "more" safe and non-competitive districts.   The Electoral College is a nice balance of the people being heard, and the individual states being heard.   We need more Federalism.  Not less.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »
Causing even more Gerrymandered congressional districts, to make "more" safe and non-competitive districts.

Remove geography altogether; pick a series in the SS# and assign electors to ranges of numbers.  Do the same for Senators.  That ought to make campaigns entertaining.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2016, 01:11:30 PM »
My memory is fuzzy and I don't have time to look it up.  But the House of Representatives was not always fixed at the current number either.  I have heard occasional arguments that there should be a lot more Representatives representing fewer total people. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge