Author Topic: Burglar Survey  (Read 1953 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Burglar Survey
« on: November 12, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »
A bunch of burglars were surveyed regarding their burgling methods. There may be some bias both because, criminals, plus the survey was done by a Portland, OR TV station, so maybe some liberal bias regarding deterrence. Still some interesting answers though.

http://www.kgw.com/news/investigations/we-asked-86-burglars-how-they-broke-into-homes/344213396

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nightfall

• friend
Re: Burglar Survey
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »
“NRA sticker on car bumper = Lots of guns to steal,” wrote one burglar.

I continually bounce back and forth between wanting to contribute to visible support for RKBA, and wanting to maintain anonymity to avoid the crazies and thieves.

For better or worse, anonymity consistently wins.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 01:47:52 PM »
I have consistently heard that about the NRA, etc. stickers over the years.  I don't have any stickers on my vehicles or my home.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »
On the stickers, I kind of look at them as most everything else in my life nowadays as related to society and the government. I generally try to lay low and fly under the radar.

"...Which is what happens when you call the feds."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 06:44:02 PM »
I continually bounce back and forth between wanting to contribute to visible support for RKBA, and wanting to maintain anonymity to avoid the crazies and thieves.

For better or worse, anonymity consistently wins.

Agreed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 11:12:51 PM »
12. If you heard a radio or TV on inside the home, would you still break in?

Most burglars feared someone might be home if they heard a radio or TV. They wouldn’t break in.

“Absolutely not,” wrote a burglar.
I have been leaving the radio on for years.  Small effort on my part.  It might help.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 11:19:28 PM »
17.  What is the one thing homeowners can do to avoid being burglarized?

Burglars suggest homeowners make their property visible with good lighting and trimmed bushes and trees.  You should get to know your neighbors and alert police if you see anything suspicious.

“In my opinion, I think homeowners should always leave a TV or radio on,” said one inmate.

“Get a camera and make it visible!” wrote another.

“Put bars on your windows and doors, get an alarm, keep an extra car in the driveway, keep lights, TVs and radios on when you leave your home,” read one questionnaire.

“Home alarm, know your neighbor so they can report suspicious people around the neighborhood,” said a burglar.

Many of those inmates who responded were remorseful. They don’t want homeowners to be victimized.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 12:13:04 AM »
I have consistently heard that about the NRA, etc. stickers over the years.  I don't have any stickers on my vehicles or my home.

There are also stickers that communicate with the in crowd, without tipping off others. One of those AR bolt face stickers, or Molon Labe.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 12:15:56 AM »

There are also stickers that communicate with the in crowd, without tipping off others. One of those AR bolt face stickers, or Molon Labe.

I have thought about this one:

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 02:19:48 AM »
When I was a delivery guy the number of times I walked up a driveway and could look into an open garage where I saw boxes for all manner of expensive electronics and other items ran into the 1000s.

Not to mention the expensive tools on display.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 12:20:40 PM »

I have only 2 decals on the car.  Rear windshield, lower left corner is an American flag.  Lower right corner is this:

There is also a tasteful chrome cross on the trunk lid.  Same size and general appearance as the manufacturer's logo, model name, and trim info.

God, guns, country and coffee.  Keeps most of the aholes back.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 01:28:52 PM »
Better than I thought.  Some good remarks
One thing skews it a lil. They only got guys that were bad at it. Good ones are NOT in jail

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I