Author Topic: That's gotta be a record (speeding)  (Read 1493 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
That's gotta be a record (speeding)
« on: November 16, 2016, 04:19:38 PM »
Clocked at 208mph on an Oklahoma highway.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/11/16/oklahoma-speeder-caught-at-208-mph.html

That takes guts or a whole bunch of stupidity.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: That's gotta be a record (speeding)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »
and he tried to elude the chase vehicle by turning off his headlights and brake lights.

I am going with stupid. Could have easily been in the running for a Darwin Award, not too sure that is a bad thing. ;)

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 04:36:11 PM »
I am going with stupid. Could have easily been in the running for a Darwin Award, not too sure that is a bad thing. ;)

bob

If I had a car that could go that fast, f yea I'd do it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »
If I had a car that could go that fast, f yea I'd do it.

I probably would also, at least once, but not on the roads in Oklahoma!

bob

castle key

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »
Had a car hit my Radar at 167 once. Didn't bother to leave the hole. He also managed to avoid the many deer on this stretch of road.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 04:43:54 PM »
Had a car hit my Radar at 167 once.

Two questions:
  Have you ever worked for TXDPS?
  What's the statute of limitations on speeding ~3x the posted limit in TX?

ETA: Make that three questions: Was it a blue car?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »
I don't know about the law in OK, but the story says the original officer lost contact with the offender, and then, later, SOME OTHER officer made the stop, apparently without any further attempt to flee. In SOME jurisdictions, a good case could be made that "some other" vehicle was the offender, unless there's good dashcam footage showing the plates.

Still, I really don't want someone driving 208 MPH on any road that I may be driving on at the time.

Had a car hit my Radar at 167 once. Didn't bother to leave the hole. He also managed to avoid the many deer on this stretch of road.
Sounds like it could have been a former colleague who was thinking about buying a friend's custom Studebaker Golden Hawk several decades ago. As a passenger, they drove from Hudson, WI to St. Paul, MN at "well above" 150 MPH. (At least some of the route is downhill.)

He bought the car, and a few days later was parked in a Hudson diner's lot when a cop came in, circled the lot, and came into the diner demanding to know whose car it was. Colleague admitted it was his and he'd JUST bought it. Cop demanded to see the papers, and once he was satisfied as to the date of purchase, he said "DO YOU KNOW HOW THIS CAR WAS BEING DRIVEN THREE DAYS BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT?!?!"

Colleague acted surprised and assured the cop he would never, ever, even THINK about doing such a thing.  :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

castle key

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 06:03:30 PM »
Two questions:
  Have you ever worked for TXDPS?
  What's the statute of limitations on speeding ~3x the posted limit in TX?

ETA: Make that three questions: Was it a blue car?

No

Don't know

At that speed, could the color have shifted?
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 06:24:01 PM »
Hell, doing the speed limit on some of our roads is dangerous enough.
I gotta wonder if it was his car. Takes a bit of money and know how to get even a Mustang capable of those kind of sustained speeds.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 06:41:05 PM »
I gotta wonder if it was his car. Takes a bit of money and know how to get even a Mustang capable of those kind of sustained speeds.

My thoughts, too.  Maybe he bought it that way with daddy's money.

I wonder about the precision of the radar gun.  How accurate are they at different speeds?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 06:48:49 PM »
At that speed, could the color have shifted?

I dunno, but the trooper's lights were still red and blue when he passed me like I was standing still going after the guy who was winning.

I took the next exit and found the most circuitous back road route possible with the remaining gas to get far away from there.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 08:58:42 PM »
I probably would also, at least once, but not on the roads in Oklahoma!

Or pretty much any road, anywhere.

The fastest I've driven was 150 MPH (okay, 148 MPH). It was awhile ago, but it was a race-prepped pony car, and I don't think the new Mustang's aerodynamics are THAT much better than what I had. Once you get over 100 or maybe 120, the whole car gets light so the tires have a lot less traction on the pavement. Stopping, slowing down, or turning becomes more difficult (or at least takes longer/farther).

Not to mention -- 208 MPH AT NIGHT?!? WITHOUT HEADLIGHTS!?!  :facepalm:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »

A 2013 GT500 does 204mph stock. A pulley swap and a tune can add an extra 150hp, which should be good for an extra few mph on top. I'm trying to find confirmation on the reported 242mph ticket issued in Texas to someone driving a Koenigsegg in the 2003 Gumball Rally. Its been reported in a few places.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 10:35:06 PM »
Or pretty much any road, anywhere.

The fastest I've driven was 150 MPH (okay, 148 MPH). It was awhile ago, but it was a race-prepped pony car, and I don't think the new Mustang's aerodynamics are THAT much better than what I had. Once you get over 100 or maybe 120, the whole car gets light so the tires have a lot less traction on the pavement. Stopping, slowing down, or turning becomes more difficult (or at least takes longer/farther).

Not to mention -- 208 MPH AT NIGHT?!? WITHOUT HEADLIGHTS!?!  :facepalm:

I'm a lightweight when it comes to that stuff. Fastest I've ever done was 110 on my '02 Road King. It still had a little left but it was getting a bit light in the fornt end and the road was starting to run out.
Another time I was turnpiking it to OKC and was dealing with a road full of OU football tards heading to "the game". Got sick of it and rolled it on. I was just bumping 100mph and slowly passing the herd when I had lights and siren behind me. *expletive deleted*ck!. I got over to the right lane and figured I was had. He kept right on going.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 12:02:38 AM »
I had a 1988 Honda Hurricane 1000 (still do actually) that was supposed to do 160 off the floor. It wouldn't do it, with me on it the best I could get was 155 indicated which was probably 145 or so actual. A nice wide stretch of interstate in the middle of the night near Escondido CA and I was all alone. My Grand Cherokee will only do 112 before the governor kicks in, it came with S rated tires (112).

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 01:10:40 AM »
I was on the way to make a night deposit in the middle lane of I-25 when this car passed me like a shot in the left lane.  I was doing around 60, and I estimated the car passed me at 60 mph relative, so well over 100 altogether.

I thought the stupid son of a female dog was going to kill someone.  Sure enough:

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-05-12/local/me-3295_1_denver-hit-and-run-kills

I had turned off at my exit before the crash site, but all the factors, location, time, etc. agreed with my experience when the news came out.

Stoopid SOB.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 01:17:01 AM »
I thought the stupid son of a female dog was going to kill someone.  Sure enough:

And that's the problem I have with speeders and reckless drivers in general. It wouldn't break my heart if they kill themselves, but they have no right to endanger other people through their idiocy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 01:39:24 AM »
I can tell 1st hand that 115 in a Turbocharged Pinto Pony MPG Automatic Daily driver yet pretty well tweaked by yours truly is scary as hell! Talk about squirrelly!

My 69 Chevy Caprice Classic with the 350 4 bolt Main, Hooker Headers, big crane cam, aluminum intake and a 650 Holley topped off with an Accell ignition including their huge super coil! It did an honest 140 on the causeway back when you could make a U-turn and go back the other way.

I once did 140 IN TOWN as a passenger in a car I just aligned. It was on I-20 between 2 on ramps so it wasn't a long distance at all. This car was QUICK. I think the driver thought he was going to scare me. I never made a peep while he drove. When we stopped, I asked why he was double-clutching it though. {Info left out to protect the guilty}
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 05:54:01 AM »

I'm not sure what's more shocking...

The fact that you were actually running radar, or that you apparently had a ticket pad with you... :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 06:01:28 AM »
I was on the way to make a night deposit in the middle lane of I-25 when this car passed me like a shot in the left lane.  I was doing around 60, and I estimated the car passed me at 60 mph relative, so well over 100 altogether.

I thought the stupid son of a female dog was going to kill someone.  Sure enough:

I had turned off at my exit before the crash site, but all the factors, location, time, etc. agreed with my experience when the news came out.

Stoopid SOB.

Terry

Just for grins and giggles I googled Spicer Breeden...

What a POS...

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/18/us/a-web-of-money-drugs-and-death.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.