Author Topic: City Renames Holidays  (Read 1873 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
City Renames Holidays
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:35:23 AM »
For diversity.

Bloomington, Indiana says Columbus Day and Good Friday are hurtful and have renamed them to Fall Holiday and Spring Holiday.

Question: If Good Friday is so evil, why are you taking it off as a paid holiday at taxpayer expense (and then complaining about it)? If you really thought it was hurtful, you wouldn't recognize it, nor profit from it. "I hate Christianity (but still want a paid day off)!"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/20/city-renames-2-holidays-deemed-culturally-insensitive.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: City Renames Holidays
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:50:35 AM »
Oh, do they mean the cross-quarter Sabbats?   :rofl:

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 12:55:25 PM »
So a holiday that exists specifically to honor a specific person, and is named after that person, is divisive and culturally insensitive ... to whom, exactly? And if having a holiday that was created to honor that person is such a bad thing, wouldn't the "right" thing be to eliminate the holiday rather than to pretend that in ONE small city Columbus Day (which will still be what everyone sees on their calendars) isn't a holiday created to honor Christoforo Columbo?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »
1)  It's a university town.  (Indiana University) so the lefties that can't get a job in the real world stick around and end up working at the University, the city, or any one of number of granola-crunching places that service the granola-crunchers.

2)  I just happened to be there this past weekend for my cousin's kid's wedding.  And no, it was not a traditional church wedding.  It was held in the clubhouse of their apartment complex.  Call it "New Age, Meets Goth, Meets Hippies".  In fact, they wrote their own service, and at one point the officiant* instructed the audience that they correct response to his next few statements was not "Amen" , but "Hell Yea!". ;/ ;/

3)  After the ceremony once the "reception" was over (i.e. the clubhouse closed), the party went to the Atlas Bar (an old VFW hall) were it continued and the freak show got freakier.  On the door was a sign that read "If you are a racist, homophobic, or misogynist, then you are not allowed in here."  I did get a chance to ask the owner why they discriminated against people who held different views from them, but she didn't get it, and I didn't push it, as all I wanted was a drink and to continue to watch the show.

*-  My sister the lawyer was not happy that a "real" chaplain or the like didn't do the service.  So when said officiant made the mistake of sitting at our table, he failed to realize that he had sat across from an attack lawyer.  She immediately started to give him the third degree (the only thing missing was the bare bulb and a waterboard) about his "qualifications"  Apparently, paying $26 to the Universal Life Church tm for a Certificate (which he had in his possession, my sister glared at me when I referred to it as "Exhibit 'A' "), gets you ordained into the church and allows you to perform weddings.  (Handbook provided).  He had gone and checked with Monroe county in advance of the wedding and asked them if he was now able to perform a wedding as was given a "Hell Yea".   All of this my sister was having none of.  Again, my comments of "I think you did a good job."  and "Hey, if he's not legal, then they won't need lawyers and judge to undo it." and finally, about half way through the interrogation.  "Oh, by the way, Welcome to Gitmo."  Did not make my sister pleased with me.  "I just want to make sure everything was done correctly."  she said.  "Does it really matter if it wasn't?"

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:40:21 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 04:51:52 PM »
*-  My sister the lawyer was not happy that a "real" Chaplin or the like didn't do the service. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 10:11:41 AM »
At a recent meeting, there was a discussion of changing the name of many government days off.  Staff will still get the day off, but instead of Christmas, it's holiday recognition day or some other crap.  Why?  Apparently, there's some lib group running around, finding a local taxpayer to serve as plaintiff, and raising hell with small governments for "discrimination," "1st Amendment violations," etc.  It's all crap, but changing the names of the days is a risk management response.  Apparently, they are trying to find someone in the county I work in to act as plaintiff because of the large Ten Commandments monument on the courthouse square, to no avail.  Actually, the county wants to remove the monument, but the county doesn't own the property (just the building) and it appears that the small corner of the square may have been deeded over to a church or an individual...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »
Did not make my sister pleased with me.  "I just want to make sure everything was done correctly."  she said.  "Does it really matter if it wasn't?"

Can't speak for Indiana but, curiously enough, in my state it actually doesn't matter. While it is against the law for someone who is not a properly ordained cleric to perform a marriage (unless it's a judge or a justice of the peace in a civil ceremony), the state law specifically provides that if the married couple were not party to the fraud, the marriage remains valid. (That's not an exact quote, but that's the sense of it.)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
Actually, the county wants to remove the monument, but the county doesn't own the property (just the building) and it appears that the small corner of the square may have been deeded over to a church or an individual...

Interesting concept. Many publicly-financed sports venues now sell (or rent) naming rights to private enterprises. Suppose a state or county courthouse has something on the pediment (or whatever that decorative band is across the upper facade) with something "offensive" like the Ten Commandments. Before the lib-tards can swoop in for the kill, why can't the government entity rent the "naming rights" for that frieze to a local church or philanthropist for a hundred years (or in perpetuity) for $1, thereby relinquishing control of it? When the lawsuit comes down, the .gov's response would be, "We don't control that. The Reverend Samuel Micah Throckberry IV bought the naming rights to the courthouse, so we can't make him remove that. Violation of HIS First Amendment rights."