Author Topic: Making Fun of Accents is Funny!  (Read 3303 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Making Fun of Accents is Funny!
« on: November 21, 2016, 09:35:57 AM »
Maybe not if it's a Mexican accent, but if it's Slovenian, apparently it's hilarious. What's funny is that the reality TV airhead is making fun of the ability to speak of someone who speaks five languages.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/11/21/gigi-hadid-slammed-for-melania-trump-impression-at-amas.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: Making Fun of Accents is Funny!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 09:45:19 AM »
Not only was it not funny, it wasn't even a good impression.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:55:38 PM by SteveS »
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:21:57 AM »
I could really care less about it, or even laugh about it, if it weren't a one way street. The whole "offended buttercup" thing makes what they did quite irritating to me.

If anyone has ever seen Youtube clips of Don Rickles during the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts, you'll see him say something "offensive" about Ronald Reagan, and they'll show everyone, including Ronald Reagan, laughing hysterically. Then 30 seconds later, they'll show him saying something "offensive" about Nipsey Russell, and everyone, including Nipsey Russell, is laughing hysterically.

That would never happen today, and that's why I have a problem with what the airhead did regarding Melania.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 02:16:33 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »

I have been enjoying that theme of Melania memes.  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
If wver i got moose huntjng i will also try to bag a squirrel.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »
I remember my dad telling me in the late '60's that the hippies and the radicals of that day were working at stopping us from making fun of ourselves.  He said if they manage to do that, America will become a rather angry place.  I miss his wisdom.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »
I remember my dad telling me in the late '60's that the hippies and the radicals of that day were working at stopping us from making fun of ourselves.  He said if they manage to do that, America will become a rather angry place.  I miss his wisdom.

How many feminists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

That's not funny!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »
just as I don't care when libtards get buttblasted when someone makes fun of them or their ilk, I don't particularly care when conservatives get buttblasted about someone making fun of the new FLOTUS.

People need to stop being so goddamned weak about things
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 06:26:56 PM »

As a Trump supporter, I find that pretty darned funny.  And the side benefit of another pic of a pretty lady littering the intertubes.  Win-win.

just as I don't care when libtards get buttblasted when someone makes fun of them or their ilk, I don't particularly care when conservatives get buttblasted about someone making fun of the new FLOTUS.

People need to stop being so goddamned weak about things

IMO, I think the right needs to amp up the outrage.  Not because I/we are outraged, but because that is what gets noticed and that it is part & parcel of making the Left live up to its own standards.  I did not make the rules, but I enjoy seeing those who did get them shoved down their throats.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
IMO, I think the right needs to amp up the outrage.  Not because I/we are outraged, but because that is what gets noticed and that it is part & parcel of making the Left live up to its own standards.  I did not make the rules, but I enjoy seeing those who did get them shoved down their throats.

Exactly. Any mocking of the current First Lady would bring cries of racism. I certainly wasn't offended by the routine in the OP, but will say it was a lousy impression and wasn't even particularly funny. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »
As a Trump supporter, I find that pretty darned funny.  And the side benefit of another pic of a pretty lady littering the intertubes.  Win-win.

This is where I'm coming from, if it wasn't clear in the OP.  Everyone should be able to take a little (or a lot) of jabbing. It thickens the skin and helps you in real life. I'm just sick of the buttercups saying that it's okay for one group, but racist/mysoginst/whatevergist for other groups.

The Don Rickles treatment for everyone!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 09:52:07 PM »
The Don Rickles treatment for everyone!

Shut up, you hockey puck!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 06:01:37 PM »
Maybe not if it's a Mexican accent, but if it's Slovenian, apparently it's hilarious. What's funny is that the reality TV airhead is making fun of the ability to speak of someone who speaks five languages.

^^^ This.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »
Now people on the Twitter are criticizing her for staying at Trump Tower until her kid finishes the school year.  :laugh:  Morons. Can you imagine how the press would react to the same news from the Obamas? They'd be getting all moony about the trials of a long-distance relationship.  :lol:

Oh, and this happened:

“I think Melania is a very beautiful woman and I think any designer should be proud to dress her,” Hilfiger said. “Ivanka is equally as beautiful and smart, although she wears her own clothes. I don’t think people should become political about it. Everyone was very happy to dress Michelle [Obama] as well. I think they look great in the clothes. You’re not gonna get much more beautiful than Ivanka or Melania.”

http://www.latimes.com/fashion/la-ig-wwd-tommy-hilfiger-dress-melania-trump-20161122-story.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 06:33:15 PM »
Now people on the Twitter are criticizing her for staying at Trump Tower until her kid finishes the school year.  :laugh:  Morons. Can you imagine how the press would react to the same news from the Obamas? They'd be getting all moony about the trials of a long-distance relationship.  :lol:

If their kids were younger and Michelle Obama did that in year one, everyone would be talking about what great parents they were.

The big complaint seems to be on expenses and how it doesn't matter that Trump is foregoing the salary, because it will cost millions to house the wife and kid for six months. I also just saw where Obama's travel expenses were >$70 million, so Trump seems to have a long ways to go, especially if he sticks to minimizing vacations and not taking the luxury vacations like Michelle Obama constantly did.

He could probably go a long way to further annoying the left were he to pitch in a half million dollars or so to the travel costs for the period.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 08:39:19 PM »
The big complaint seems to be on expenses and how it doesn't matter that Trump is foregoing the salary, because it will cost millions to house the wife and kid for six months. I also just saw where Obama's travel expenses were >$70 million, so Trump seems to have a long ways to go, especially if he sticks to minimizing vacations and not taking the luxury vacations like Michelle Obama constantly did.

The only added expense to the taxpayers for Melania and Barron to stay in NYC for six months is the cost of a Secret Service detail that would probably be guarding the Trump's penthouse anyway. I'm sure just Michele's trip to Spain with the girls cost orders of magnitude more than what Melania's parenting is going to cost.