Author Topic: Uber?  (Read 1243 times)

zahc

• friend
Uber?
« on: November 21, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »
When I need to get somewhere business travel, I usually have a rental car. Where that doesn't make sense, I use hotel shuttles or regular old fashioned taxi cabs, which are easy to catch at the airport but not always everywhere else. In the case of work, I don't care about the cost, but for personal trips...

All the cool kids use Uber like it's a universal fact-of-life resource. I even know a guy who is using Uber as his primary transportation until next spring when his Tesla is delivered.  It's running him a couple hundred a month, but compared to a license, taxes, insurance, gas, he claims it's his best option compared to trying to buy a clunker to get him through a couple months.

I must be just old-fashioned, but meeting random people from the internet still seems sketchy to me.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Uber?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:02:51 PM »
https://www.uber.com/legal/other/firearms-prohibition-policy/
Uber Firearms Prohibition Policy

Our goal is to ensure that everyone has a safe and reliable ride. That's why Uber prohibits riders and drivers from carrying firearms of any kind in a vehicle while using our app.*

Anyone who violates this policy may lose access to Uber.
If they did not have this policy I would use Uber because I think it is a really cool idea.  As it is, I'll find other options even if I'm not carrying.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 01:18:21 PM »
Is there a more pro-gun alternative? I don't really know taxicab policies.

In this case, my trip is airport->hotel->university->airport. Although I could theoretically fly with a gun, I assume they are illegal on Ohio college campuses anyway.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 01:23:12 PM »
Hopefully, this whole anti-firearms hysteria will be turning around in the next couple of years and guns will become just guns again instead of "GUH-UHNS." :eek:
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »
Is there a more pro-gun alternative? I don't really know taxicab policies.
Lyft (Uber's main competitor) has a similar anti-weapon policy.  Taxi policies probably vary from company to company and if a cab had a no guns sign I'd see if there was another option.  Sometimes your options are limited by circumstance, though.

In this case, my trip is airport->hotel->university->airport. Although I could theoretically fly with a gun, I assume they are illegal on Ohio college campuses anyway.
Sure, and even if you did carry it isn't like they search passengers.  That said, I don't like to do business with companies which do things like prohibit carry of firearms.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 01:34:25 PM »
I've used it successfully a couple of times.  So far it's been both cheaper and more convenient than a taxi would have been.

If I'm paying someone else to drive me, it's usually because I'm anticipating enough alcohol being consumed that firearms are contraindicated anyway.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 01:43:33 PM »
I've never used it, but it pretty much took off after I became unemployed. If it were available during all my DC trips, I likely would have taken it. Back then, I would always wait for the shady Middle Eastern character at Dulles to ask me if  I needed a ride, and took those "car services" downtown versus waiting in the mandatory taxi line. Even if it was a Taliban trap, it was better than the DC cabs, and the cars were much nicer as well. :)

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »
I have used Uber about a dozen times when I'm traveling and have been satisfied.  It is sometimes, but not always, cheaper than a cab.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 01:56:45 PM »

I must be just old-fashioned, but meeting random people from the internet still seems sketchy to me.

Unlike those highly vetted taxi drivers that are often from far-away countries that don't have background checks?

I've used Uber about 10 times now.  Every time, the car was newer, cleaner, and better smelling than every taxi I have been in.  All of my drivers spoke English well (it seemed that English was their first language) and only one or two had BO, which seems to be the exact opposite of all the cab drivers.

As a bonus, your first ride is free with Uber.  I think Lyft is offering a similar promotion.

As for the guns, don't ask don't tell.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 02:23:38 PM »
Unlike those highly vetted taxi drivers that are often from far-away countries that don't have background checks?

I dunno...it was the American one that seemed to think 183 was the speed limit rather than the highway number.  Got there in record time, though.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »

As for the guns, don't ask don't tell.
Unless it is illegal, that is my normal policy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 06:13:28 PM »
I was with some friends and we used Uber once. Was pretty convenient. You just bring up the app and you can even see where they are at. Also really cheap. Having been to a few different other countries I've been in one or two shady cabs.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 06:44:45 PM »
Used both Lyft and a couple flavors of Uber.  Works just fine and more convenient than a cab.

Asked one of the driers about the firearm policy and he indicated--without saying directly--"Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 10:20:09 PM »
Used über a bunch of times. No complaints. Most guys were using nice cars as well.
Was in Boston 2 years ago used uber about 6 times, tried a cab once and the idiot did not know where Faneuil Hall was.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods