Author Topic: Trump Cabinet Picks  (Read 14222 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Trump Cabinet Picks
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2016, 10:40:13 PM »
And thanks to harry reid trump only needs a simple majority.  If mcconnell hasnt misplaced his testicles or left them with denny hastert.

Killing the filibuster looked great on paper to the democrats. 

Just say it, "justice cruz."  His name is a killing word
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
Well, I guess Tillerson's conflicts of interest might help distract from Trump's conflicts of interest. =|
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2016, 11:45:01 AM »
Well, I guess Tillerson's conflicts of interest might help distract from Trump's conflicts of interest. =|

Care to expound on that instead of just drop a semi-throwaway post in?  I'd be curious to hear what his actual conflicts of interest might be as opposed to just a quip?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2016, 01:51:45 PM »
Rick Perry - Sec of Energy.

Say, wasn't that one he proposed to eliminate ??

Why yes, yes it was.... =D =D

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/12/13/trump-nominate-rick-perry-secretary-energy-reports-say/95363672/

And as an extra bonus, to reaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy push the leftists into their safe spaces curled up in a fetal ball and crying into their blankies...

Perry’s nomination comes despite his ties to the Dakota Access pipeline battle. He sits on the corporate board for Energy Transfer Partners, the parent company of Dakota Access LLC, which is pushing to build the pipeline.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2016, 02:51:26 PM »
Perry’s nomination comes despite his ties to the Dakota Access pipeline battle. He sits on the corporate board for Energy Transfer Partners, the parent company of Dakota Access LLC, which is pushing to build the pipeline.

Of course USAToday can't be trusted. I'm fairly certain they were already in the process of BUILDING the pipeline after having gotten significant regulatory approval. Not "pushing to build it."

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »
I'd be curious to hear what his actual conflicts of interest might be as opposed to just a quip?
Tillerson's are pretty simple: ~$300 million in Exxon Mobil stock equity and vesting options. As Trump himself put it "He’s in charge of, I guess, the largest company in the world" and he's spent his entire career there. It's certainly not impossible, but it's going to take some work to separate himself from that and go to work for us without any special consideration for his former employer.

John Kerry ran into conflict of interest accusations with energy companies, the CEO of Exxon Mobil isn't going to have it any easier.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2016, 09:57:01 PM »
President Elect Honey Badger don't give a *expletive deleted*it.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
Yes, but having really, really smart guys like Tillerson dealing with Senate Democrats is going to be great fun to watch...

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2016, 02:43:48 PM »
I hope Tillerson gets past the evangelical fury and angst

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »
Tillerson's are pretty simple: ~$300 million in Exxon Mobil stock equity and vesting options. As Trump himself put it "He’s in charge of, I guess, the largest company in the world" and he's spent his entire career there. It's certainly not impossible, but it's going to take some work to separate himself from that and go to work for us without any special consideration for his former employer.

Frankly, anybody without any conflicts of interest is almost certainly unqualified for any Cabinet post.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »
Frankly, anybody without any conflicts of interest is almost certainly unqualified for any Cabinet post.

Unqualified is a pretty loose term these days. Nobody wants experts anymore so it seems like that opens up a lot of options, certainly some with less significant conflicts of interest if not none. Not to say Tillerson's are insurmountable or disqualifying, he has some options. He will probably have an easier time divesting & distancing himself than Trump will from his business interests.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2016, 07:16:38 PM »
Unqualified is a pretty loose term these days. Nobody wants experts anymore so it seems like that opens up a lot of options, certainly some with less significant conflicts of interest if not none. Not to say Tillerson's are insurmountable or disqualifying, he has some options. He will probably have an easier time divesting & distancing himself than Trump will from his business interests.
No one wants "experts" because the people given that label are usually expert in govt regulation and red tap (creating more, not cutting it).   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2016, 08:15:27 PM »
So somehow it's a conflict of interest for a millionaire or billionaire to serve his fellow Americans in the government, and it's not for sleazy politicians like Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi  and hundreds of others who became millionaires while "serving" their fellow Americans in the government?

As for Trump.  Why does he have to disassociate himself from his companies?  Where in the Constitution does it say a President has to dissolve all his businesses interests in order to be President; that it's a "conflict of interest" for him to maintain his livelihood?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »
So somehow it's a conflict of interest for a millionaire or billionaire to serve his fellow Americans in the government, and it's not for sleazy politicians like Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi  and hundreds of others who became millionaires while "serving" their fellow Americans in the government?
Who said that? ??? This thread is about Trump cabinet picks. Tillerson is one of those and he has a potentially huge conflict of interest with his Exxon Mobil stock and the job he has to do as Secretary of State.

As for Trump.  Why does he have to disassociate himself from his companies?  Where in the Constitution does it say a President has to dissolve all his businesses interests in order to be President; that it's a "conflict of interest" for him to maintain his livelihood?
Trump himself has said he will do this, not because the constitution requires but because it's the ethical thing to do. Whether he is able to, or even puts in any real effort is yet to be seen.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2016, 11:29:38 PM »
This thread is about Trump cabinet picks. Tillerson is one of those and he has a potentially huge conflict of interest with his Exxon Mobil stock and the job he has to do as Secretary of State.

Two words: "Blind trust."

End of conflict of interest.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2016, 06:24:00 AM »
Two words: "Blind trust."

End of conflict of interest.
I think the response to that is blind trust wink wink. If guy from Exxon goes into it with a huge amount of investment in Exxon, he still knows its there. Similar for someone like Trump, blind trust or no he knows most of his assets are still with the Trump organization.

Not that I care, mind you. I'd rather have the administration packed to the gills with people who have actually done things with their lives other than impress voters and have actually had to deal with the BS Washington creates.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
Blind trust is the obvious solution with plenty of precedent but, as the Fortune article I linked lays out, there are some roadblocks because of how Tillerson's compensation package is structured. Trump will have an even harder time since his investments are much more diverse and not as easily liquidated.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2016, 08:21:54 AM »
So basically, Trump and hat is shaping up to be his cabinet tend to be people that actually "have a dog in the fight".
Without taking things to extremes, what is good for the overall and financial health of the country is good for business.
Commerce makes the world go 'round. More people in a better financial state results in more people spending money. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
Without taking things to extremes, what is good for the overall and financial health of the country is good for business.
Absolutely. If Tillerson had billions of dollars in index funds (which would likely be a significant part of the previously mentioned blind trust), that would be fine and dandy. He has all his eggs in one basket though.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2016, 10:56:09 AM »
Absolutely. If Tillerson had billions of dollars in index funds (which would likely be a significant part of the previously mentioned blind trust), that would be fine and dandy. He has all his eggs in one basket though.

Does he? I would not be surprised to find a majority of his "eggs" in the Exxon basket, but all seems highly unlikely for any savvy investor. 

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2016, 11:26:23 AM »
Does he? I would not be surprised to find a majority of his "eggs" in the Exxon basket, but all seems highly unlikely for any savvy investor. 

100%? Probably not. I mean, I'm sure the guy has some assets besides Exxon Mobil stock. Like a house or two, some nice cars, maybe he bets on penny stocks in his free time - who knows? It's not like I have access to his tax returns. Most places list his overall net worth at $150+ million so I'm pretty sure the vast majority of his wealth is currently tied up with Exxon Mobil.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »
100%? Probably not. I mean, I'm sure the guy has some assets besides Exxon Mobil stock. Like a house or two, some nice cars, maybe he bets on penny stocks in his free time - who knows? It's not like I have access to his tax returns. Most places list his overall net worth at $150+ million so I'm pretty sure the vast majority of his wealth is currently tied up with Exxon Mobil.

I doubt it is a majority at the moment.  He's no fool and not-fools diversify.  Sure, he has a large chunk--much more than any randomly-selected investor--in Exxon.  But I also have a relatively large chunk in my own company's stock, as they match my 401k with company stock (really, a company stock index fund).

OTOH, he has options that mature in the future.  THESE may very well, when they come to fruition, then compose the majority of his accumulated wealth.

It is something to think about, but I would not let the existence of such option or investments keep me from supporting him, were I to support him.  Folk who are successful at that level of business accumulate wealth of some sort.

And Trump is even less a worry, since his assets are more real (real estate) and diversified.  Trump truly would benefit from general and overall growth in America's economy.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »

I'd think their net worth estimates are off, given that his Exxon holdings are currently $235Million. It's more likely that he's worth several hundred million more than it is that his Exxon stock makes up 90+% of his wealth.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2016, 12:28:58 PM »
Can't find a way to see previous years on this site, but last year 75% of his compensation was stock
http://www1.salary.com/R-W-Tillerson-Salary-Bonus-Stock-Options-for-EXXON-MOBIL-CORP.html

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »
Just imagine if we had elected Ross Perot back in the day.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!