Author Topic: Levis and Guns  (Read 5321 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Levis and Guns
« on: December 01, 2016, 11:32:21 AM »
Levis CEO asks customers to leave guns outside store when shopping for jeans:

http://fortune.com/2016/11/30/levis-guns/

So, I don't normally do boycotts, but Levis is the one brand that I have boycotted since their big anti-gun stance announcement I don't know, maybe 15-20 years ago now?

However, I have to step back and ponder this recent announcement. I'm inclined to take the CEO at his word that this is not anti 2nd Amendment, but rather safety concerns for his customers. This is one place where I can see knuckleheads with zero retention awareness nor training (or awareness of the 4 rules for that matter) potentially causing safety concerns. Not just in Levi stores of course, but anywhere with dressing rooms. It falls back to the responsible people being hampered by the lowest common denominators among us.

Kind of like when I used to go on group bird hunts, there were certain people I didn't want behind me with a gun in their hands.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Levis and Guns
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 11:53:36 AM »
Since they are asking nicely and aren't being dicks about it, in addition to the fact that this comment follows an actual episode where an ND occurred, and isn't just emotional hand wringing, I would be *inclined* to comply with the request.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »
Levis CEO asks customers to leave guns outside store when shopping for jeans:

Whatever pants I get need to accomodate both pocket carry of a snubby, and IWB.  Bee nice to test that.

http://fortune.com/2016/11/30/levis-guns/

So, I don't normally do boycotts, but Levis is the one brand that I have boycotted since their big anti-gun stance announcement I don't know, maybe 15-20 years ago now?

However, I have to step back and ponder this recent announcement. I'm inclined to take the CEO at his word that this is not anti 2nd Amendment, but rather safety concerns for his customers. This is one place where I can see knuckleheads with zero retention awareness nor training (or awareness of the 4 rules for that matter) potentially causing safety concerns. Not just in Levi stores of course, but anywhere with dressing rooms. It falls back to the responsible people being hampered by the lowest common denominators among us.

Kind of like when I used to go on group bird hunts, there were certain people I didn't want behind me with a gun in their hands.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 12:03:37 PM »

Whatever pants I get need to accomodate both pocket carry of a snubby, and IWB.  Bee nice to test that.

Testing for both of those requires an unloaded weapon, no?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 12:19:11 PM »
Did the alleged accidental shooting actually happen? I can't find anything on the internet about it other than in the CEO's statement....

Not going to boycott Levis- I would actually have to wear and own Levis in order to boycott them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 12:27:10 PM »
“You don’t need a gun to try on a pair of jeans,” CEO says.

Why yes, yes I do.

That.

Plus leaving my gun outside would require me to secure it in my car or on my bike. I may as well leave it at home and join the countless thousands of others who rely on the local Po-Po for protection. If I am out shopping, even for jeans, I doubt that will be my only stop of the day. I have always considered the most secure place for my gun outside of being locked in a safe is in my possession not in an unattended vehicle.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 12:31:22 PM »
Since they are asking nicely and aren't being dicks about it, in addition to the fact that this comment follows an actual episode where an ND occurred, and isn't just emotional hand wringing, I would be *inclined* to comply with the request.

Since he is asking nicely and not being a Richard Craniuum about it, I'd be inclined to ignore him. Shootings happen in malls. Levis stores are mostly located in malls and outlet centers (strip malls). If I want protection when shopping at a mall (an unlikely circumstance at best), what am I supposed to do with my gun? Do they provide a gun check service at the entrance to their store?

In reality, Levis are so grossly over-priced these days there's virtually no chance I would be in one of their stores anyway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 02:42:09 PM »
I used to wear Levi's all the time.  I never bought any at a Levi's store.  Yes, they are overpriced compared to Wranglers and others. 

I got some new jeans last weekend as Tractor Supply had 20% off.  They had Levis, but I declined to buy them.  I haven't worn in several years.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »
“You don’t need a gun to try on a pair of jeans,” CEO says.

That's not how any of this works.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 03:23:01 PM »
That's not how any of this works.

To be clear, I'm not supporting the guy. I'm just trying to take step back and view it as a genuine non-political decision, whether misguided or not. If I'm not part of the gun culture and I have someone come into my place of business and have an ND, I might be inclined to make a "safety decision" with no political overtones (not that they don't end up creeping in).

I'm actually quite surprised that we don't hear about more NDs in dressing rooms, public restrooms, etc. where people are dropping trou.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 04:08:33 PM »
I'm actually quite surprised that we don't hear about more NDs in dressing rooms, public restrooms, etc. where people are dropping trou.

Maybe that doesn't happen very often.  Maybe people who try on jeans accidentally cut themselves much more often.  Or forget about their child in the dressing room.  Or leave a used syringe in a pile of clothes.  Or etc.

In other words, it aint the gun, it is the stupid.  Good luck keeping stupid people from doing stupid stuff.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 05:00:15 PM »
I gave up on Levi's when they moved production of an "American Icon" to china.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »
I used to wear Levi's all the time.  I never bought any at a Levi's store.  Yes, they are overpriced compared to Wranglers and others.

I only buy them at outlet stores or occasionally Goodwill.  Don't think I've paid more than $25 for a pair.  (New 514 stretch at the outlet.  Goodwill, I only buy the like-new ones.  I have plenty of should-have-already-tossed-them jeans for painting and such.)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 05:34:25 PM »
We know that the presence of firearms in our stores creates an unsettling environment for many of our employees and customers.

This line here makes it "Political" for me.

Plus I am curious as to him be a vegan has anything to do with this?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 05:48:47 PM »
I don't believe him for a minute.  His statement is political (see the line quoted in wmenorr67's post above).  The ND story is likely just that, a story, and he's using it for cover.
But it is no skin off my nose.  I don't buy Levis as they are overpriced for what you get.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »

We know that the presence of firearms in our stores creates an unsettling environment for many of our employees and customers.

LOL, no. No, it does not. If people were really worried about folks carrying guns, we'd see a LOT more no-gun signs at stores. A lot more.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
Did the alleged accidental shooting actually happen? I can't find anything on the internet about it other than in the CEO's statement....
If the alleged negligent discharge was by an LEO . . . it would probably be deemed NOT newsworthy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 07:40:29 PM »
I gave up on Levi's when they moved production of an "American Icon" to china.

I gave up on Levi's when the first antigun crap happened years ago. That said, what brand to buy? I only buy US made merino socks, but good luck finding jeans. When I was a kid Wrangler had a plant in my town. Mexico now. Silk mill was one town over, also defunct.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »
I gave up on Levi's when the first antigun crap happened years ago. That said, what brand to buy? I only buy US made merino socks, but good luck finding jeans. When I was a kid Wrangler had a plant in my town. Mexico now. Silk mill was one town over, also defunct.

I knew this would eventually turn into a "what jeans to buy?" thread.  :laugh:

I switched to Cabelas jeans for a while when I gave up on Levis, but then started buying Costco jeans which were a great bang for the buck and fit like they were bespoke. Then last year Costco switched from a Mexican plant to a Chinese plant, and the new jeans are just awful.

I'm now buying Wrangler and Faded Glory (sold at Walmart) jeans. I really like the Faded Glory for doing work / kicking around. Can't be beat at around ten bucks a pop, and the relaxed fit jeans fit me very well. I still buy the Cabelas indigo jeans as "dress jeans" to go with a sport coat.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »
I'm now buying Wrangler...

Same here. My Wal-Mart Wranglers are holding up pretty well. (I'll not rehash again the baleful story of the Carhartt fall-apart jeans.)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 07:42:29 AM »

Same here. My Wal-Mart Wranglers are holding up pretty well. (I'll not rehash again the baleful story of the Carhartt fall-apart jeans.)

Got any stories about Carhartt coats?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 10:00:03 AM »

Not as durable as they used to be. I wouldn't buy a new one.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 01:22:29 PM »

Wal-Mart also sells another brand (Rustler) that seems to be a store brand, and also sells for around $10 a pair. They fit me much better than Wranglers or Faded Glory,and they last me as long as I vaguely remember Levis lasting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »

Only one.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »
Wal-Mart also sells another brand (Rustler) that seems to be a store brand, and also sells for around $10 a pair. They fit me much better than Wranglers or Faded Glory,and they last me as long as I vaguely remember Levis lasting.

Rustler can be found at a number of outlets besides WallyWorld.  I've been buying them for years. Inexpensive and they hold up pretty well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.