Author Topic: Slager trial  (Read 14122 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Slager trial
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2016, 10:44:16 AM »
We know that now, but the officer clearly didn't know it at the time of the incident. At some point while he was getting punched and tased he must have been wondering, "All this for a taillight? What's up with this guy?"

I read somewhere that he was flagged as a violent offender or something similar in the DB when stopped. I'll see if I can come up with a source.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Re: Slager trial
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2016, 11:16:20 AM »
I've stated up thread, that once Scott broke contact as is unarmed and not a threat to anyone, deadly force IS NO LONGER an option.  That's where Motorola comes in.  Ask the question of any (good) CCW instructor if you can shoot someone, who is unarmed, running away from you, even after going hands-on, mano-a-mano with said person.  Go ahead, I'll wait.

And I've posted this real life example a while back:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=47901.msg975998#msg975998

I think if you talking to police instructors, I doubt they would recommend shooting a fleeing suspect either.  The reason everyone instructs people not to do it is because you are risking prosecution and liability because the obvious justification goes away.  There have been numerous cases of police and non-LEO's shooting people in the back who were not convicted.  Now, that doesn't mean shooting him was right or correct in this case, it just bears more thinking than "he turned to run so it is murder".  

In this case, from what CS&D posted, the officer pulled his gun to shoot when the guy was still right next to him after a physical fight where he got tasered.  I question whether the line between justified and prison is that tight.  
--
I feel the need to add that I don't necessarily think the guy is innocent.  I am not sure and I haven't seen all the details.  I just don't think it is or should be as cut and dried as some would have it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2016, 02:54:56 PM »
Found this gem in one of C&SD's links:

If I were on the jury, the prosecution would have lost me right there. Sorry, but "premeditation" is a word, and words have meanings. And the "pre" part of that word means "before, in advance." Officer Slager did NOT wake up that morning and put on his uniform planning to go out on the mean streets and kill someone. There's a "yuuuge" difference between "intentional" and "premeditated."

I hate grandstanding, and I especially hate prosecutorial grandstanding.
The more so since the expert doing the video analysis said they were 27 inches apart when slager started his draw. And one second later was first shot. 17 feet.
They other observations about who held taser are also interesting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
Re:
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2016, 03:25:59 PM »
More and more interesting.  Jury's thought mirror some here
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-slager-trial-jury-note-reveals-new-split/

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
"Slager has testified he was in fear for his life, but prosecutors told the jury they should focus on the video of Scott fleeing as the shots were fired and convict the former officer."

If I'm the defense I would take a powerful objection to this and tell the jury that they should NOT pay ANY attention to the video as it is a distortion at worst and only a partial video that does not describe the entirety of the situation at best.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with the officers state of mind due to the fact what happened prior to the video is not been captured by video.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

• friends
Re:
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »
Since the judge did not, to the best of my knowledge, mention self defense in his instructions, the fact that the jury's questions indicate it occurred to them I am hopeful. It didn't take them.lomg to drop the big charge.  Hours

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re:
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2016, 05:04:47 PM »
Since the judge did not, to the best of my knowledge, mention self defense in his instructions, the fact that the jury's questions indicate it occurred to them I am hopeful. It didn't take them.lomg to drop the big charge.  Hours

Where have you seen that the jury dropped consideration of the murder charge?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
He'll be tried again.  This happens sometimes - single holdout juries are a pretty good indicator of what's coming next.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friends
Re: Re:
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
The jury's questions were about elements of a manslaughter charge. Typically they consider greater charge first then if that's dead they consider lesser charges. I don't know what procedure for next trial is. Are they locked into same charges? Or can they amend. Either way he spends xmas home with his kid.

• friends
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2016, 05:36:54 PM »
He'll be tried again.  This happens sometimes - single holdout juries are a pretty good indicator of what's coming next.
Single holdout?

• friends
Re:
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »
I wonder if a shakeup at doj will affect his federal case

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
Re:
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2016, 05:45:39 PM »

We deduced it from the questions the jury asked from the judge to clarify the law.

De Selby

• friend
Re:
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2016, 07:12:05 PM »
We deduced it from the questions the jury asked from the judge to clarify the law.

To convince the holdout?

Yeah, he's going to jail eventually. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »
To convince the holdout?

Yeah, he's going to jail eventually. 
It all depends on how convinced the others were of guilt and what exactly triggered one person to vote not guilty.  Might be more of them on the next jury. 

Can the jurists comment on the trial after being let go? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re:
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2016, 08:36:41 PM »

Jurors.

The judge is the jurist. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jurist

• friends
Re:
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2016, 09:38:38 PM »
Apparently deselby missed the article Monday where the foreman indicated not just one hold out

De Selby

• friend
Re:
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »
It all depends on how convinced the others were of guilt and what exactly triggered one person to vote not guilty.  Might be more of them on the next jury. 

You're dreaming if you think that video is going to produce more holdouts.

What will happen is the prosecution will pare down what confused them.  Have a look at retrial statistics sometime.

dogmush

• friend
Re:
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2016, 10:11:53 PM »
You're dreaming if you think that video is going to produce more holdouts.

What will happen is the prosecution will pare down what confused them.  Have a look at retrial statistics sometime.

Like your track record of predicting the outcome of contentious shooting trials?

• friends
Re:
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2016, 02:46:32 AM »

De Selby

• friend
Re:
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2016, 03:58:49 AM »
Like your track record of predicting the outcome of contentious shooting trials?

Actually, yes.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2016, 01:39:49 PM »
Interesting video analysis.  Money is after 6:30 in but it's all worth it
https://youtu.be/GZSb00oSzuY

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »
Video shows the taser wire still attached to Scott as he starts to run. Nobody even mentioned that, or has an explanation for it. Looks more like Slager tased Scott, but I don't think even Slager has said that.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2016, 09:22:45 PM »
Video shows the taser wire still attached to Scott as he starts to run. Nobody even mentioned that, or has an explanation for it. Looks more like Slager tased Scott, but I don't think even Slager has said that.
Alternatively,  the wire was still attached to Slager after getting tagged by his own taser and the wires were tangled around Scott.

Not advocating one way or the other,  as I can't tell, but that's another possibility.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
Re:
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
The kids opinion and tude are interesting too