Author Topic: Talk about kicking a guy when he's down  (Read 509 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Talk about kicking a guy when he's down
« on: December 12, 2016, 05:19:51 PM »
The Superior Court of Justice in Brazil has decided to fine the surviving players from the team whose plane crashed en route to their championship match.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/chapecoense-plane-crash-survivors-fined-for-not-playing-final-match-160655232.html

The court is also fining the opposing team ... because the two teams didn't play the match. This is what it's like to live in a banana republic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Talk about kicking a guy when he's down
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 06:01:07 PM »
I have read where south american soccer fans have stormed the field and torn the referee apart.  I wonder if they could be bothered to visit a certain judge I read about....
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 07:37:09 PM »
Weren't all soccer games in the area officially cancelled that day?

Also, there weren't enough players left to hold a game, much less uninjured.  One is so hurt that they haven't even told him that most of his coworkers are dead yet.

I'm guessing the supreme court will weigh in, they'll find some 'ultimate pre-emption' clause or that some rule in the contract wasn't followed correctly by the superior court judge in determining that a fine was due.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 09:15:43 PM »
I thought I originally read that the other team (the one not involved in the crash) had conceded the game to the team that crashed. Then I read something I didn't fully understand, but it seemed to imply that the league awarded the win (for the game that wasn't played) to BOTH teams. Not a tie -- they were each credited with a win.

Not sure how that works. But then the court got involved. I don't even know how that happened, because I'm pretty sure neither team sued the other.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
I thought I originally read that the other team (the one not involved in the crash) had conceded the game to the team that crashed. Then I read something I didn't fully understand, but it seemed to imply that the league awarded the win (for the game that wasn't played) to BOTH teams. Not a tie -- they were each credited with a win.

Not sure how that works. But then the court got involved. I don't even know how that happened, because I'm pretty sure neither team sued the other.

Someone with political connections lost a bet and got all butthurt about it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams