Author Topic: First Time Homebuyer's Credit?  (Read 713 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
First Time Homebuyer's Credit?
« on: December 20, 2016, 09:52:35 AM »
In recent memory, every time I use Turbotax (free for .mil) it asks me if I bought a home that year.  Well, this year I actually did.  But after some intense Googling, with the risk of blindness, it seems to only apply to a 2008 credit that had to be repaid anyway.  So why is Turbotax still asking this question?  I reviewed the full 1040 and I can only see a reference to the 2008 scheme.

Is this still a thing, or am I as screwed as usual on 4/15?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: First Time Homebuyer's Credit?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 11:25:15 AM »
Some costs associated with purchase of a house are tax deductible if it is greater than you standard deduction.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:46:09 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »
In recent memory, every time I use Turbotax (free for .mil) it asks me if I bought a home that year.  Well, this year I actually did.  But after some intense Googling, with the risk of blindness, it seems to only apply to a 2008 credit that had to be repaid anyway.  So why is Turbotax still asking this question?  I reviewed the full 1040 and I can only see a reference to the 2008 scheme.

Is this still a thing, or am I as screwed as usual on 4/15?

Yes, simply because the IRS wants that money back, and many people still owe it. 

You are screwed as usual.  However, you can deduct whatever Mortgage Interest, Pre-paid Points and Real Estate Taxes YOU paid (Most Real Estate Taxes are paid in arrears, meaning that taxes paid in 2016 are for 2015 and usually paid by the seller.)

You *might* be eligible for moving expenses, but read through the rules as there are 50 miles requirements, which I don't think you'll meet.

Also check into the Energy Saving Credits.  IIRC, you replaced a skylight, which may or may not qualify. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »
Gotcha, thanks.  It looks like my removed skylight could qualify for 10% the cost or a $300 deduction.  Back in 2012, the itemized deduction I calculated when I was an independent contractor for 9 months barely got me a third of my standard deduction, so I doubt this year will be any different.  Good to know if I ever do more than $60k in energy saving upgrades.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 05:56:42 PM »
Are there any credits for replacing an A/C system?  I just had to replace mine last week.

It has been a few years since I last moved, but I recall getting tax statements from the bank.  There were one or two specific forms separate from the mortgage interest that I plugged into Turbotax. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 10:38:12 PM »
Air Conditioning:

A central air conditioner that achieves the highest efficiency
tier that has been established by the CEE as in effect on January
1, 2009.

Max Credit $300

Moving Expenses:
If you moved due to a change in your job or business location, or because you started a new job or business, you may be able to deduct your reasonable moving expenses but not any expenses for meals. You can deduct your moving expenses if you meet all three of the following requirements:

Your move closely relates to the start of work
    You meet the distance test
    You meet the time test

Move Related to Start of Work - Your move must closely relate both in time and in place to the start of work at your new location. You can consider moving expenses incurred within one year from the date you first reported to work at the new location as closely related in time to the start of work. A move generally relates closely in place if the distance from your new home to the new job location is not more than the distance from your former home to the new job location. For exceptions to these requirements, see Publication 521, Moving Expenses.

The distance test - Your new workplace must be at least 50 miles farther from your old home than your old job location was from your old home. If you had no previous workplace, your new job location must be at least 50 miles from your old home.

The time test - If you are an employee, you must work full-time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months immediately following your arrival in the general area of your new job location. If you are self-employed, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months and for a total of at least 78 weeks during the first 24 months immediately following your arrival in the general area of your new work location. There are exceptions to the time test in case of death, disability, and involuntary separation, among other things. See Publication 521 for these exceptions.
Members of the Armed Forces

If you are a member of the Armed Forces and your move was due to a military order and permanent change of station, you do not have to satisfy the distance or time tests.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.