Author Topic: Obama: The electoral college is a "vestige"  (Read 3772 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Obama: The electoral college is a "vestige"
« on: December 20, 2016, 11:42:43 AM »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/12/17/obama_it_is_now_the_electors_job_to_determine_my_successor.html

"Long-term with a respect to the Electoral College -- the Electoral College is a vestige, it’s a carryover from an earlier vision of how our federal government was going to work that put a lot of premium on states, and it used to be that the Senate was not elected directly, it was through state legislatures. And it’s the same type of thinking that gives Wyoming two senators with about half a million people, and California with 33 million get the same two," President Obama said Friday.

No, dummy, it's not a "vestige." It's the plan, the plan to ensure that the inner city mobs can't run roughshod over the entire country.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Obama: The electoral college is a "vestige"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »
Interesting that it wasn't a "vestige" when it twice worked for him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »
Interesting choice of terms for a supposed Constitutional scholar.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 12:13:56 PM »
Idiotic, but typical leftism. Anything the Left disagrees with is thereby out-moded, and their backward notions are "progress." You don't want to be on "the wrong side of history (or herstory)," do you?

Without that context, it's funny that he would claim it's no longer appropriate to allow less-populous states a counterweight to being overpowered by more populous ones. What, exactly, makes the interests of smaller states less important now than in 1787?

And it’s the same type of thinking that gives Wyoming two senators with about half a million people, and California with 33 million get the same two," President Obama said Friday.

It seems obvious that the kind of thinking that presents a problem for Obama and Co. is, well, thinking.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »
"What, exactly, makes the interests of smaller states less important now than in 1787?"

Silly boy, they know exactly what's best for EVERYONE, so the concept of individual states, and state's rights, are vestiges!

Disappointed that you don't know that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 02:06:13 PM »

And it’s the same type of thinking that gives Wyoming two senators with about half a million people, and California with 33 million get the same two," President Obama said Friday.

Or why California has 53 representative in the house while Wyoming only has one.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 02:54:39 PM »
Or why California has 53 representative in the house while Wyoming only has one.

Easy solution; divide the population by 50 and redraw the state lines to make them all have equal numbers.

Or just move the people around.  I'm sure a bunch of inner city types dumped in Montana will do just fine.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 04:08:46 PM »

The men who wrote the Constitution were geniuses. Obama doesn't even deserve to lick out their navel lint.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 04:17:36 PM »
Easy solution; divide the population by 50 and redraw the state lines to make them all have equal numbers.

Or just move the people around.  I'm sure a bunch of inner city types dumped in Montana will do just fine.

We'll put them in District 12.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 04:21:47 PM »
Nine would be more like home.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 05:43:12 PM »
No.

A vestige would be having to shoot that bastards every now and again everytime we wanted to install a new government.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 05:43:59 PM »
I personally think we need to keep the Electoral College method. I would change it so all states do like Maine and Nebraska to make it more fair at least in my opinion.

That said. These people are pretty short sighted to assume if the election was a direct popular vote that Hillary would have won. They would both have run their campaigns differently and many voters may have voted differently or voted when they stayed home or the other way around. Wasn't not one Republican except Trump on the ballot in large areas of CA? How many Californian's didn't bother voting since they really didn't have anyone to vote for knowing Hillary would win CA? How about the same in NY or MA?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 06:05:55 PM »
What do Maine and Nebraska do?

I agree that the campaigns would have been different and voters would make different decisions. 

And most of all, this sort of comment from what the media has called our Constitutional scholar.  Just underscores my thoughts that this is guy who is supposed to be smart is actually pretty dim. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 06:12:31 PM »

That said. These people are pretty short sighted to assume if the election was a direct popular vote that Hillary would have won. They would both have run their campaigns differently and many voters may have voted differently or voted when they stayed home or the other way around. Wasn't not one Republican except Trump on the ballot in large areas of CA? How many Californian's didn't bother voting since they really didn't have anyone to vote for knowing Hillary would win CA? How about the same in NY or MA?

Exactly right. In CA, we only had two dems to choose from for senator - no write-ins allowed. On the presidential ticket, I know a lot of R-oriented people probably did write-ins as a political statement, or just didn't bother going to the polls, since as this year's ballot bore out, things went overwhelmingly for Clinton, and every commie proposition passed by a landslide. Even if every conservative in CA had voted, Hillary would have won (by less) and the props still would have passed.

That said, had Trump needed to campaign in CA for any logical reason, I have no doubt he would have gotten himself an extra million or so on the popular vote. He did campaign in the Central Valley over the Summer, and there were Trump signs everywhere afterwards.  I didn't see a single Hillary sign the entire campaign season here. When I visited the coast on the other hand, it was just the opposite.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 06:13:59 PM »
What do Maine and Nebraska do?

I agree that the campaigns would have been different and voters would make different decisions. 

And most of all, this sort of comment from what the media has called our Constitutional scholar.  Just underscores my thoughts that this is guy who is supposed to be smart is actually pretty dim. 

Maine and Nebraska split up their electoral votes. If I recall correctly the overall winner gets two votes probably representing the two Electoral votes for the Senators, but split up the congressional districts. It always drove me nuts when all the PA votes went to the State winner even those the majority of the districts voted for someone else. Even CA wouldn't be all Blue or Red if things were done that way.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
The men who wrote the Constitution were geniuses. Obama doesn't even deserve to lick out their navel lint.

Well that created a very graphic and disturbing image.  [barf]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 07:11:39 PM »
Just underscores my thoughts that this is guy who is supposed to be smart is actually pretty dim. 

I don't know how much this really tells us about his intelligence. He feels it's in his (or his party's) best interest to stir up resentment against the Electoral College, so he's saying stuff that will persuade the ill-informed. Simple as that.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »

Mega dittos, Dick.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 07:49:46 PM »

I don't know how much this really tells us about his intelligence. He feels it's in his (or his party's) best interest to stir up resentment against the Electoral College, so he's saying stuff that will persuade the ill-informed. Simple as that.
If that is the best he can come up with, then I stand by my statement.  I haven't seen anything from him in the last 8 years that makes me think otherwise.  I think he has the liberal arrogant attitude that he knows he is smart and knows he is right and looks down on everyone else.

If he made straight A's in college, he would have been handing out his transcripts to his friendly media people to brag about, not hiding them.  (not that it is a sole indicator either)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 09:13:45 PM »
I haven't seen anything from him in the last 8 years that makes me think otherwise.  I think he has the liberal arrogant attitude that he knows he is smart and knows he is right and looks down on everyone else.

If he made straight A's in college, he would have been handing out his transcripts to his friendly media people to brag about, not hiding them.  (not that it is a sole indicator either)

I agree.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 09:30:10 PM »
There are times I've wished for an Electoral College system by counties for the gubernatorial elections in CO.  Checks and balances against the tyranny of the cities.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:43:28 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 09:38:19 PM »
What, exactly, makes the interests of smaller states less important now than in 1787?

Those pesky, smaller states don't go blue. Until the leftists can institute the reeducation camps, gulags, and mass graves they desire minimizing the influence of said smaller states will have to do.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »
There times I've wished for an Electoral College system by counties for the gubernatorial elections in CO.  Checks and balances against the tyranny of the cities.

True dat.  Washington state-wide politics are largely a function of Seattle/King County due to the population and votes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »

Agreed on all points.

BHO's IQ is 115, max.  FTR, 115 is one standard deviation (15pts) above the mean white IQ (100pts) and not stupid.  Thing is, BHO has always gotten bonus points (perceived) due to being a non-scary black man folk want to like (for various reasons).  He also has above-average verbal ability and is adept at reading social cues.  The later two traits are somewhat remarkable in a man with mannerisms that scream "introvert."  BHO can learn when he sees advantage to it.  Accomplishing what he has accomplished he could have as low as a 100 IQ, given learned affability, social savvy, and affirmative action (formal and otherwise) helping him along the way.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 10:25:10 PM »
Agreed on all points.

BHO's IQ is 115, max.  FTR, 115 is one standard deviation (15pts) above the mean white IQ (100pts) and not stupid.  Thing is, BHO has always gotten bonus points (perceived) due to being a non-scary black man folk want to like (for various reasons).  He also has above-average verbal ability and is adept at reading social cues.  The later two traits are somewhat remarkable in a man with mannerisms that scream "introvert."  BHO can learn when he sees advantage to it.  Accomplishing what he has accomplished he could have as low as a 100 IQ, given learned affability, social savvy, and affirmative action (formal and otherwise) helping him along the way.

I have a hard time keeping up with the current jargon du jour... is that rant racist, bigoted, misogynistic or homophobic? Understanding that none of those are mutually exclusive on any of the rest. =D

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams