Author Topic: Stupid router question  (Read 1023 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Stupid router question
« on: December 21, 2016, 04:00:15 AM »
Computer, not wood.

So, here's the short short version.   I've got Comcast/xfinity, and just "upgraded" to a new cable modem (Cisco, comcast calls it the XB3) with built in wifi.  Had the tech dump the modem into bridge mode, so now the routing and wifi is still being run through my Asus RT-N66U.  Router is running on the standard "192.168.1.1" IP address.

Having said that, in order to access the management console for the modem, I have to go to 10.0.0.1.  Which of course doesn't go across from the 192.168.1.x address my computer is on with the router.   I suppose that I could change my router to be in a 10.0.0.x range but that would require then changing static IP's on a couple of other devices on my network which *don't* like having their IP address changed (particularly a cantankerous HP 8600 printer - hence the static IP on my LAN).

So to sum up, I want to figure out a way to access 10.0.0.1 modem from my 192.168.1.1 Asus router without physically disconnecting the router from the modem and plugging an ethernet cable from my computer to my modem.  Maybe a static route? or ???

Help me APS brain trust. You're my only hope.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Stupid router question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:20:11 AM »
I can help, gimme a bit to look at my setup, OK?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:26:14 AM »
OK, here's what I have and do, My Comcrap/Xfinity Cable modem/Wifi/Router is used only as a router, no WiFi as I turned that all off. I hardwired my IP phone service to their router and MY router an that's it. Their box is 10.0.0.1, My router/WiFi is 192.168.1.1 Ok? I can get to 10.0.0.1 from anywhere on 192.168.1.* through 192.168.1.1 without issue. Following are screen caps of my Setup pages from my Xfinity Cable modem and Wifi Router to help ya out.

Just to show how we got here

Leave the IPv6 settings along, don't mess with them...

If ya are like me, yer gonna use yer own WiFi and this will be disabled so this page doesn't matter anyway

MoCA, Meh, whatever, I don't mess with it.

Summary page. I hid my WAN IP Address as I didn't want anyone mukin about in me back door!

This is my WiFi Router's settings, Note the internet stuff is all being pulled/routed through the Comcrap/Xfinity box at 10.0.0.1.

THIS is where ya declare yer "home" of 192.168.1.1 and disperse yer "children" of 192.168.1.* from. I didn't show the WiFi stuff as there's no magic there, just standard setup. Holler if I can help.

Oh, I killed the router's firewall because I handle that stuff at the computer level. Do what ya want but BE CAREFUL! It can be a HUGE PITA!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:02:22 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:50:52 AM »
So, here's the short short version.   I've got Comcast/xfinity, and just "upgraded" to a new cable modem (Cisco, comcast calls it the XB3) with built in wifi.  Had the tech dump the modem into bridge mode, so now the routing and wifi is still being run through my Asus RT-N66U.  Router is running on the standard "192.168.1.1" IP address.

If you can get to a config web page for the modem, is it truely in bridge mode?

And, interesting.   My internal network is in 192.168.1.0/24, and I can get right through to the modem's config page, which I have on 192.168.2.1.  So, router issue on your end?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 12:57:40 PM »
AmbulanceDriver, Gimme a holler if ya want and I can walk ya through gettin in and configuring everything. I'm messaging ya my digits now.
MOLON LABE!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 07:28:15 PM »
Thanks HeroHog.  I think I may see what I need to at least look at on my router....

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 07:32:29 PM »
If you can get to a config web page for the modem, is it truely in bridge mode?

And, interesting.   My internal network is in 192.168.1.0/24, and I can get right through to the modem's config page, which I have on 192.168.2.1.  So, router issue on your end?

I had the similar ability to access my old modem's config page on 192.168.100.1 from my 192.168.1.1 network.  But I think when you go to the 10.0.0.1 range something gaps out

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 07:40:55 PM »
Fixed.  Just had to put in the 10.0.0.1 as the default gateway in my DHCP LAN settings.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 07:50:47 PM »
Which of course promptly broke the wired connection to the TV....  (WTF???)

So I pulled the 10.0.0.1 out of the default gateway settings for DHCP.

And I'm still able to access 10.0.0.1 from my network now....  (Double WTF?)

Whatever.  It's working like I want it to work right now.  I'm gonna quit arguing with it.