Author Topic: RANT: Some people should just know better.  (Read 631 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
RANT: Some people should just know better.
« on: December 19, 2006, 06:19:07 PM »
Allow me to vent for a bit if you would....

Last Wed I get a call from my sibling, she's sick and not gonna be able to make it to work.  Why she called me with this news I'm still unclear on, but anyways....

Friday last I get a call from her while I'm at work.  She's calling me to talk before our mother does.  Sibling is on her way to the ER room near where I live, a hour + drive in good conditions.  Why not closer?  Insurance is sending her there rather than a closer ER.  She's been sick all week (fever, puking, the works) and has a constant pain in her right abdomen.  So she bundles up my nephew (four y/o) and drives down the mountains to the ER.  I ask her to give me a call when she knows whats up.

No calls.  Nobody home at our mother's place either.  Hmmmm

Just on a whim, I check messages at home about 45 min prior to end of my shift.  I have one message:

"Sindawe, you sister is freaking out and you need to come to the hospital right away. *CLICK*"

Hmmm...she's freaking out.  I wonder which hospital it could be, good thing my freaking sister told me which one earlier in the day.  I bail early, leaving email for the boss (he knew ahead of time, no call since I'm leaving only 25 min early) and head to the hospital.  Sister is in the ER, somewhat zoned from the the morphine drip she's on but able to converse about whats occuring.  Surgery is scheduled for the next day, since the CAT scan showed an inflamed gall bladder and the appendix is sorta fuzzy as well.  She's concerned about the effects of general anesthesia, being kept alive when the brain is dead and all the normal fears.  She freaked when she was told she had to have surgery and 'prolly flashed on our father, who had an emergency quad bypass just before Christmas 1990 and never really recovered.

Surgery goes without a hitch but good thing it was caught when it was.  A few more days and the surgeon said it would have perforated. Sister is discharged later that afternoon with script for vicidans for pain. Sunday rolls around and now she's freaking about her dog, which has been inside in its crate since early Friday afternoon with only a daily visit by the babysitter for my nephew. I advise her to NOT drive on the stuff.  So she, our mother and my neice & nephew head up to the hills Sunday afternoon.  I volunteer to check on my mother's cat while they are gone since it will be several days.

Here is where some people should just know better.  My sister is an LPN with 10+ years experience.  She'd been feeling sick off and on since July, with pain on the right abdomen and left chest, occasional left shoulder pain.  She thought it might be cardiac relates (family history) but just ignored it.

Just.  Ignored.  It.

ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Family history of cardiac issues, she's in a high risk group since she does NOT take regular exercise aside from work, eats the standard American diet high in fats and salts, she's boderline morbidly obese, and she just ignores it. 

: banghead : : banghead : : banghead :

*SIGH*  No real point to the post other than to vent.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: RANT: Some people should just know better.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 06:36:45 PM »
Sindawe, I don't know what to say. I see the same thing in my family: people who know there's something seriously wrong, but just ignore it.

Just don't put it on yourself. Don't do it.

SomeKid

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 10:01:02 PM »
In Nursing school last semester, the instructors actually told stories/joked about people who had the training and ignored these things. It is one of those weird things.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 06:02:34 AM »
Shoemaker's kids have a tendancy to go barefoot.
Formerly sumpnz