Author Topic: Ebay weirdos  (Read 727 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Ebay weirdos
« on: December 22, 2006, 01:07:20 PM »
My BIL won a Sony PlayStation PSP in a drawing at work. He doesn't want it, and asked if I'd put it on Ebay for him.

Yesterday I put the ad on the site.

I was immediately bombarded with emails. "How much will you sell it for today?" "I'm the manager at XYZ Game Store in NJ. I'll give you $100 for it right now."

I even got a couple of emails from people who said they wanted it shipped to Africa, and offered me $500 for the game. (It costs about $160 at any discount store).

I put the starting price at $10. Today I got notices that bids had been retracted. Now there's no bids at all.

Who the heck are these people?

Vodka7

• friend
Re: Ebay weirdos
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 01:13:49 PM »
Last minute shoppers figuring out that no one delivers on Sunday would be my guess Smiley

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 03:45:51 PM »
Yes, the clientele is has definitely gone downhill over at EBAY. I got dogged hard by a guy who bid up this thing I had and then didn't come through. All they did was deactivate him and make me redo the auction because I ran it private or something and they wouldn't release the info on the next highest bidder. I lost a bundle on it. That pretty much sealed it for me. I lost interest after that one. That was a few years ago now too.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Strings

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 09:27:45 AM »
Dick: the offers from Africa are a form of scam. The "I'll pay you X for it right now you can ignore (and, according to EvilBay, are supposed to ignore). The rest... who knows?

I've seen guitars on there go for more than MSRP... nothing rare, standard production run instruments. Right now, I'm keeping my eyes open for Tiberius Tac8 paintball pistols: MSRP is in the $250 range, and that's pretty much how much they're being offered for at auction: doesn't make much sense to me. I've also seen some stuff that SHOULD go higher go for next to nothing (my $500 + Shuberth helmet for around $100, Spoon's for around $50)...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 01:24:20 PM »
Bill, I assumed that they were. Still, I was polite in my replies, and just said I had no interest in getting involved in international shipping.

Auctions are weird. I was looking at prices of Colt Pythons on Gunbroker. I saw 6" nickel Pythons not sell for $850, and others in similar condition sell for $1300.

At least somebody bid the Play Station up to my reserve of $100.

Why am I doing all this for my BIL? I don't know!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 04:16:21 PM »
I have some books and records I was hoping to auction, but I don't think I want to deal with ebay anymore if I can help it.