Author Topic: Man Sets Christmas Tree, American Flag, Self on Fire  (Read 1829 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Man Sets Christmas Tree, American Flag, Self on Fire
« on: December 23, 2006, 05:05:15 PM »
Considering he did this in Bakersfield (quite conservative for CA for those not familiar with it), I'm actually surprised the cops used fire extinguishers instead of dousing him with more fuel...  shocked cheesy

------------------------------
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,238505,00.html

California Man Sets Himself, American Flag, Christmas Tree on Fire to Protest Religious Names

Saturday , December 23, 2006

BAKERSFIELD, Calif.  A man used flammable liquid to light himself on fire, apparently to protest a San Joaquin Valley school district's decision to change the names of winter and spring breaks to Christmas and Easter vacation.

The man, who was not immediately identified, on Friday also set fire to a Christmas tree, an American flag and a revolutionary flag replica, said Fire Captain Garth Milam.

Seeing the flames, Sheriff's Deputy Lance Ferguson grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran to the man.

Flames were devouring a Christmas tree next to the Liberty Bell, where public events and demonstrations are common.

Beside the tree the man stood with an American flag draped around his shoulders and a red gas can over his head.

Seeing the deputy, the man poured the liquid over his head. He quickly burst into flames when the fumes from the gas met the flames from the tree.

The deputy ordered the man to drop to the ground as he and a parole agent sprayed him with fire extinguishers.

"The man stood there like this," the deputy said with his arms across his chest and his head bent down, "Saying no, no, no."

The man suffered first degree burns on his shoulders and arms, Milam said.

Kern County Sheriff's Deputy John Leyendecker said the man had a sign that read: "(expletive) the religious establishment and KHSD."

On Thursday, the Kern High School Board of Trustees voted to use the names Christmas and Easter instead of winter and spring breaks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Re: Man Sets Christmas Tree, American Flag, Self on Fire
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 05:23:40 PM »
All that over 'Christmas' and 'Easter'?

Idiot.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 05:24:24 PM »
And they say "Christians" are the problem?  

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 05:28:02 PM »
My hat's off to the man. One of the rare instances where a liberal puts their money where their mouth is. Good one on him, I hope other lefties take a cue.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 07:54:16 PM »
And they say "Christians" are the problem?

Fanatics of any sort are the problem.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 08:26:03 PM »
My hat's off to the man. One of the rare instances where a liberal puts their money where their mouth is. Good one on him, I hope other lefties take a cue.

I agree. I even agree with the shoe on the other foot (mind you I'm a conservative). An angry (enough to do murder or serious bodily harm to an innocent) conservative, upset with changing holiday names from "Easter" and "Christmas" to "spring" and "winter" holidays should also be encouraged to set themselves afire rather than doing harm to innocents.  While I'm fond of Christmas trees, and I respect the flag, neither is as important to me as another person or even a sentient animal. For anyone who is likely to do harm to another (innocent)  person, I'll personally pay for, and deconsecrate a Christmas tree and a flag for them to set alight while they fire themselves up rather than killing neighbors, co-workers or strangers at a Luby's. 
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »
Now, if we can only convince the anti-gun folks to shoot themselves in the head in protest  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 06:50:13 PM »
Now, if we can only convince the anti-gun folks to shoot themselves in the head in protest  grin

NO!!!

Head shooting is a less reliable method of suicide that often leaves surviving emotional reminders to inspire/motivate the "guns are ba'aaaad, blame the method rather than the motive" blissninnies (see Sarah Brady). While becoming pro-gun and non-murderous should be our goal for anti-gummers, I'd say if we have to pick a method for them to kill themselves, jumping off of tall buildings should be the goal.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 07:16:26 PM »
From what I understand, either way is way too messy.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »

NO!!!

Head shooting is a less reliable method of suicide that often leaves surviving emotional reminders to inspire/motivate the "guns are ba'aaaad, blame the method rather than the motive" blissninnies (see Sarah Brady). While becoming pro-gun and non-murderous should be our goal for anti-gummers, I'd say if we have to pick a method for them to kill themselves, jumping off of tall buildings should be the goal.
Is it really true that shooting oneself in the head is an unreliable way to suicide?  That seems hard to believe...

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 12:59:16 AM »
now...lets not thread drift to much....

I think I'll pray for the guy....... grin grin grin angel angel angel

I hope they re introduce school prayer so the kids can pray for him too!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 04:43:32 AM »

NO!!!

Is it really true that shooting oneself in the head is an unreliable way to suicide?  That seems hard to believe...

"Unreliable" is a judgement call I guess. Probably it's more reliable than pills or wrist cutting. People tend to forget the "flinch factor" from what I've heard. A friend of mine who worked in the emergency room told of a guy they saw for attempted suicide three times, the first two with a handgun.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 06:04:05 AM »
A friend of mine who worked in the emergency room told of a guy they saw for attempted suicide three times, the first two with a handgun.

My BIL responded to welfare call when an elderly couple's house was quiet after Y2k. They must have thought the end of the world was near and a murder-suicide occurred in their basement. The old man blew his wife's head off with a shotgun then shot himself in the face with it. My BIL said it was a pump shotgun and unbelievably managed to shoot himself in the head twice before he checked out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 06:55:03 AM »
Stupid is as stupid does!

There are better ways to getting your point across than torching your own ass.  I'm passionate about alot of things but hurting myself in the process of making a statement is stupid.