Author Topic: That Trump effect.  (Read 981 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
That Trump effect.
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
Where I work, we have a lot of business-owners and managers coming in to buy lighting stuff. One guy came in today, to buy some lamps for his convenience store, and remarked about the stock market being up. "That's all Trump," he said. About an hour later, a guy who has a Dairy Queen was talking about how business had been good lately, and he said, "You know that's all Trump."

It reminds me of the period, early last year, when customers kept saying, "if we can get Trump in there..."

I don't know how much credit should go to Trump (maybe all of it or none of it, for all I know), but I do find it interesting that people are saying these things. I also wonder to what extent any upturn in business is due merely to the general impression (aside from actual policies or proposals) that the president is pro-business, and has promised to slash regulations and taxes.

In other news, I'm hearing that Gander Mountain is slated to declare bankruptcy. I bet they could really use some Obama, right now. :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: That Trump effect.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:37:12 PM »
It's just the animal spirits that drive consumer confidence.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »
that the president is pro-business, and has promised to slash regulations and taxes.

Funny, I was going to post in a similar vein. I've been handling a real estate sale for my dad, and so far every single person, when we were complaining about all the freaking paperwork these days, said something along the lines of, "Man, I hope Trump fixes this!".

For being in CA, it's funny how everyone has been really pro-Trump. The realtor even told me she went to the inauguration. Of course that's what happens when you get away from the coast. There were tons of Trump signs around here during the election. I didn't see a single Clinton sign or bumper sticker. First bumper sticker for her that I saw was a couple of days ago, and it looked like an out of town car.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 05:25:51 PM »
any upturn in business is due merely to the general impression (aside from actual policies or proposals) that the president is pro-business, and has promised to slash regulations and taxes.

I think Trump certainly deserves credit for a positive impression people have of being able to do business easier in the future. How much of that will come to pass is obviously hard to say but that's more than enough to move the stock market. All it takes is a tweet from him these days and you can see the repercussions in stocks.

I would assume that those tech businesses that heavily rely on H-1B visas and those in agriculture & construction that rely on cheap immigrant labor are not as optimistic.

when we were complaining about all the freaking paperwork these days, said something along the lines of, "Man, I hope Trump fixes this!".

Is there really that much paperwork in real estate transactions that is the result of federal regulations? It's been awhile since I did any but I recall the vast majority being CYA legal stuff from the bank itself and a few state/local notices about flood plains and radon gas. Maybe the lead paint warning is federal?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 05:38:35 PM »
Talking heads on Fox business said today's records for the Dow and Nasdaq are due to Trump's tax cut talk.

In other news, I'm hearing that Gander Mountain is slated to declare bankruptcy. I bet they could really use some Obama, right now.

Trump is killing my little business. Sales dove a week or so after the election, and are continuing down. I'd love to be able to buy some suppressors right now to sell later, but no Class III license.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »

Is there really that much paperwork in real estate transactions that is the result of federal regulations? It's been awhile since I did any but I recall the vast majority being CYA legal stuff from the bank itself and a few state/local notices about flood plains and radon gas. Maybe the lead paint warning is federal?

Do you remember, "Obama gonna put gas in my car"?. Obama effect, Trump effect. Whether he can fix it or not, whether it fall under his pervue or not, people will expect and/or attribute reduction in all government, regulations, etc. to Trump.

As for the amount of paperwork for real estate, when I bought my first rental in the 80's, there were maybe 10 pages. In CA, it's more like 150 now for rental property. With around 50 that need filling out by the seller or signatures or initials. When I sold a rental condo in 2015 to someone who was going to live in it, there were probably an additional 30 or so pages, plus a few hundred extra ducats out of my pocket for inspections because she was taking a fed.gov loan, so yes, the federal gov does contribute to the paperwork load on occasion.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 07:15:41 PM »
Gander mountain should fail. New store in town, it sucks harder than the little bubba gun shop around the corner. It sucks harder than Field and Stream across town. The pretentious townies get their outdoor apparel at Orcus or Blue Ridge mountain sports, also in town. The real hikers have a real hiking shop a short drive away. Oh, and duck hill guns? Two 1903A3 in not as nice shape as mine for $3400 and $3500 respectively.  Says they were some presentation gift from some general to some schmuck. The amount of documentation to make a Springfield worth that much is mind boggling. Oh, and the parking lot is always near empty.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 08:11:14 PM »
Gander mountain should fail. New store in town...

Same here. They built two, within the space of a few years time. If they could come close to Cabelas or Wal-Mart on ammo prices, I'd have some reason to go. If...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife