Author Topic: Christmas Yesterday at Camp Leatherneck  (Read 968 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Christmas Yesterday at Camp Leatherneck
« on: December 24, 2006, 03:07:08 AM »
Because our extended family is the product of several long-ago divorces and deaths, our progeny have multiple "obligations" to visit family on The Great Day. Leatherness being the accomodating Saint she is, we wound up having two daughters with husbands and all four grandsons here at the Camp yesterday. Replete with beef and ham feast mid-day, and an afternoon of glorious weather and boys and dogs and BB guns and sawdust in the shop, we settled in for the Great Paper Tear late in the day.

We all gave and received some nice and thoughtful gifts, and the youngest boys had an adrenalin rush of the sort that provokes screaming in both boys and grownups.

The bestest moment of the day came when SIL #2--the Army pilot--opened his gift from me. The card read "Good tools are a joy for life." And the box-in-a-box was the generic plastic case that, say, a socket set might repose in. Instead, it was my Milspec 1911A1 which was built and accurized for me by a Marine Warrant Officer from Weapons Training Battalion at Quantico a decade ago and has been my preferred carry piece for all that time. I had decided Mark needed a better weapon than the POS from NORINCO or some such he's been using. I mean, the Lad is directly responsible for caring for half of the most important people in my life, and what good is it for a quality .45 to be on my hip if he and his tribe get in a situation.

The look on his face when he realized it wasn't something by Craftsman made the sacrifice worth it. Normally taciturn, he smiled broadly at first; then when he hefted the weapon, the expression turned into what only has one description, and it involves fecal matter.

'Course, now I'm temporarily out of the 1911 business, so I'll be looking around for a MILSURP 1911 that can benefit from some TLC.

I hope your holiday is as rewarding as mine.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Christmas Yesterday at Camp Leatherneck
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 03:49:03 AM »
1.  Got any more daughters?

2.  Do you know a good divorce lawyer?

3.  You're not prejudiced against Army grunts are ya?  I'd be willing to lie and say the Marines are as good as we are.  Oh heck, I'll even say they're slightly better. 

Looking forward to a very Merry Christmas next year,
fistful
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 03:58:36 AM »
1. Got a butterfly girl in Chicago who sees no point in encumbering herself with a permanent man.
2. "good," "divorce," and "lawyer" should never appear in the same sentence.
3. Army and Marine Grunts are my heroes; everything else we military folks do is in support of what they do: blow things up and kill people.

Merry (real) Christmas to all who celebrate such.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 04:49:36 AM »
Gitcherself a Norinco, and then build it up...

Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 04:56:14 PM »
Ditto on the Norinco.  I've got a few of 'em, one has the late Armand Swenson's stamp of approval and got me some nice standings in the IPSC limited class game before it got relegated to CCW status.  Colt and Springer would still be running at their 1990's abysmal level of fit and finish if it wasn't for the sturdy little Norincos edging them out in their own game.  grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 01:20:27 AM »
Nope. Going for an actual MILSURP, 1943 vintage. But thanks for the scoop on NORINCO--didn't realize they'd improved.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 04:10:38 AM »
"good," "divorce," and "lawyer" should never appear in the same sentence.
You can pick any two options here but only two...

Greg

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 04:30:39 AM »
A good man!

My (technically ex, but I still call him 'dad') father-in-law is a great guy too. He's in good health, so I don't expect this to happen for many years, but he asked me just the other day to oversee sale of his collection if something happens to him before my mother-in-law if she needs to sell it for funds (also not going to happen as he's set them up very well, and she'd always have us to fall back on in tough times) so she doesn't get taken on the values of his guns. That gives you a good feeling to know a guy trusts you to help look out for his wife after his passing.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"