Author Topic: Dear patient, who I will not be surprised to hear that you are dead  (Read 4316 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
So I was writing a letter to a patient who has not been coming back in for followup.  In the past year, she has been admitted to our local hospital three times for sepsis, blood clots, syphilis and endocarditis, all as a consequence of heroin use.  She signs herself out of the hospital AMA and uses the indwelling catheter to inject more heroin.  She is currently on several antibiotics and anti-coagulants to try and clear up the endocarditis and not have a fatal blood clot. She is not coming back in for followup and to have the followup tests to measure her anticoagulant status. I am sending her a letter to make sure she knows there is a good chance she will fall over dead without followup treatment.

She is in her early 20's, is from a typical suburban middle-class family, has been to inpatient and outpatient rehab several times, her medical bills are well up into the six figures since she became an adult and all paid by the taxpayers since she is on welfare now, and only the miracles of modern medicine are the reason she is not dead right now.  I will not be surprised to get a call from the medical examiner saying that she has been found dead.  The only question in my mind will be if it is an overdose, infection or blood clot that kills her.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Dear patient, who I will not be surprised to hear that you are dead
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 11:09:44 AM »
Are you required to write that letter?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 03:42:57 PM »
And therein is a huge contributor to the out of control cost of healthcare in the US.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 04:21:24 PM »
The only question in my mind will be if it is an overdose, infection or blood clot that kills her.

Are you laying odds ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »
Office pool?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
1)Pulmonary embolism

or

2)Internal bleeding due to being on anticoagulants and drug dealer coming by to collect a due bill.

Depending on whether or not she is still taking her anticoagulant medication.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
Option 4...muder/rape - murder victim.  I imagine she is spending a ton of time in high risk areas if she's an active user.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
There's a lot I enjoy about that movie.

Yeah. Your line reminded me of the movie line which reminded me I need to watch it again. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 11:53:44 PM »
I was more thinking of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigZ1fmwD-Q
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 07:58:04 AM »
To be perfectly brutal about it, it sounds as if this one is a foregone conclusion, so might as well get it overwith and stop prolonging the pain for those who still care about her.

"She is not coming back in for followup and to have the followup tests to measure her anticoagulant status."

So, without the P-time, she's running out of time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 11:23:37 AM »
Does it have to be a letter?

I'm thinking a small video display and jus enough memory to play this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVrEwCa8nSA

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 10:52:42 PM »
I have a friend that joined his local FD about a year ago. (he took off for a few years when he moved)
He is about ready to quit. 9 out of 10 calls are for a OD. Seeing the same people multiple times.
He's firmly into the *expletive deleted*ck it and let them die mode.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 10:55:44 PM »
I have a friend that joined his local FD about a year ago. (he took off for a few years when he moved)
He is about ready to quit. 9 out of 10 calls are for a OD. Seeing the same people multiple times.
He's firmly into the *expletive deleted*ck it and let them die mode.

The most commonly used drug on our ambulatory crash carts now is Narcan.  For people/patients who come in off the street and accidentally OD in our restrooms and elsewhere on the property. We are probably doing this five times a month now.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 11:14:54 PM »
So I was writing a letter to a patient who has not been coming back in for followup.  In the past year, she has been admitted to our local hospital three times for sepsis, blood clots, syphilis and endocarditis, all as a consequence of heroin use.  She signs herself out of the hospital AMA and uses the indwelling catheter to inject more heroin.  She is currently on several antibiotics and anti-coagulants to try and clear up the endocarditis and not have a fatal blood clot. She is not coming back in for followup and to have the followup tests to measure her anticoagulant status. I am sending her a letter to make sure she knows there is a good chance she will fall over dead without followup treatment.

She is in her early 20's, is from a typical suburban middle-class family, has been to inpatient and outpatient rehab several times, her medical bills are well up into the six figures since she became an adult and all paid by the taxpayers since she is on welfare now, and only the miracles of modern medicine are the reason she is not dead right now.  I will not be surprised to get a call from the medical examiner saying that she has been found dead.  The only question in my mind will be if it is an overdose, infection or blood clot that kills her.

are you in the California bay area by any chance?

If so, tell my sister I said hello and please make her appointments.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 10:49:01 PM »
Trying to save addicts from themselves is an exercise in futility. BTDT, not worth it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 04:06:07 AM »
And therein is a huge contributor to the out of control cost of healthcare in the US.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
The most commonly used drug on our ambulatory crash carts now is Narcan.  For people/patients who come in off the street and accidentally OD in our restrooms and elsewhere on the property. We are probably doing this five times a month now.

Portland is giving narcan buddy kits to addicts....   Basically, if your buddy OD's, give them this and call 911...   Of course, most of them don't know that narcan wears off more quickly than the heroin they od'd on....   So they don't call 911... So a few hours later, they have to call 911 when their buddy suddenly quits breathing again.

We're running on 5+ OD calls a day in Portland anymore...    Not nearly as many deaths, thanks in part to the narcan kits, but we're also I think seeing more OD's because the addicts are taking more risks with their dosages.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »
We are now sometimes giving multiple doses of Narcan due to the local heroin being cut with either Fentanyl or carfentanil. 

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »
I'm tellin' ya; might as well go to Narcan dart pistols.  Just have big open racks of them in front of all public buildings for folks to stock up.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 05:56:40 PM »
Addicts are strange, they almost die, their buddy brings them back but instead of being grateful they get PO'd that their high was ruined so they shoot up some more. Then the Narcan wears off because the half life of it is shorter than the stuff they originally used so now they get a double whammy.....and die. Such is the life and death of a opioid narcotic addict.

bob

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 06:16:47 PM »
Addicts are strange, they almost die, their buddy brings them back but instead of being grateful they get PO'd that their high was ruined so they shoot up some more. Then the Narcan wears off because the half life of it is shorter than the stuff they originally used so now they get a double whammy.....and die. Such is the life and death of a opioid narcotic addict.

So we need some ultra-concentrated Narcan.  In big darts.  Maybe just a heavy gauge needle attached to a funnel and a bucket.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »
I'm tellin' ya; might as well go to Narcan dart pistols.  Just have big open racks of them in front of all public buildings for folks to stock up.

Effective and fun.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 06:33:41 PM »
So we need some ultra-concentrated Narcan.  In big darts.  Maybe just a heavy gauge needle attached to a funnel and a bucket.

Or.... let Jesus take the wheel.