Author Topic: Donut Eating Death  (Read 920 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Donut Eating Death
« on: April 04, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »
First off, my condolences to the family. A tragic accident.

On the other hand, I was thinking that if the last thing I did before I died would be to eat a giant donut, I'd be happy and laughing about it in Heaven (or the other place).  :laugh:

I was kind of shocked to read all the negative comments and the "there oughta be a law" stuff. It was a half pound donut. Barring accidentally taking to big a bite or swallowing wrong as apparently happened here, I could knock that down easy. But then I'm an expert donut eater. :)

It was also interesting that the place was apparently packed, but not a single person knew the Heimlich maneuver.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/04/04/denver-man-dies-while-attempting-doughnut-eating-challenge.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Donut Eating Death
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:15:37 AM »
I kind of wondered when this would happen.  I watched part of a hot-dog eating contest and considered that survival of all the contestants was a minor miracle.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »
The risk manager is now wondering if the commercial general liability insurance carriers for food service establishments are going to either exclude or limit coverage for eating contests, and do the restaurants have the contestants sign a waiver, and would that waiver hold up in court?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 10:56:27 AM »
The risk manager is now wondering if the commercial general liability insurance carriers for food service establishments are going to either exclude or limit coverage for eating contests, and do the restaurants have the contestants sign a waiver, and would that waiver hold up in court?

The story doesn't make it completely clear, but I'm not sure this was a contest in the sense that a bunch of people showed up to compete at once. It appears to be one of those "If you can eat this 10lb steak, your dinner is free!" things. So it would be something occurring throughout the year whenever an individual wants to give it a go, vs a once a year publicity thing or whatever. 

I don't know if that would make a difference insurance-wise. I did see that Voodoo (great donuts btw) has mandatory training in CPR/first aid for their employees in the west coast states, but not in the Colorado location. Don't know if that's a state thing or company thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."