Author Topic: Mountain Lion Killed in Oklahoma  (Read 3536 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Mountain Lion Killed in Oklahoma
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Mountain Lion Killed in Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »
Should have shot it in the leg.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »
Didn't have to shoot it.  It'd never been in trouble before and was turning it's life around.  Besides, a rifle against an unarmed kitty cat?  Not a fair fight.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »
I guess that means they are in Oklahoma. When I was a young pup of about 16 I was hunting dove with a single shot 12g by Lake Ellsworth in SW OK when I stepped around a tree and came face to face with a cougar. I backed away slowly and he/she/it went the other way. I reported it to Fish and Game and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. In no uncertain terms they told me OK did not have cougars and I must have seen something else.

A lot of states used to do that, I could never figure out why.

Here in WA I always have a cougar tag with me when I go into the woods.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »
I am also ready to deal with cougars: I carry a bottle of Chardonnay and a Journey album with me at all times.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
I am also ready to deal with cougars: I carry a bottle of Chardonnay and a Journey album with me at all times.

At your age, a cougar would be what? 75?   :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »

Sad!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »
I almost hit one down here several years ago. Made me do a double take as it squeaked past the front bumper.

They said gthe same thing here that we didn't have any around here but after a couple got hit by cars and many big cats and bears caught on camera they finally admitted they do exist.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 02:15:20 PM »
Puma Lives Matter!

Paws up!  Don't shoot!
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
"There's pumas in the crevasses!"
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »
I like when people in the city realize that coyotes and foxes are living among us.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
Couple years ago I had an alley neighbor go into full emotional melt-down because she saw a rattlesnake. I heard her and her hubby arguing about it later in their garage. High volume. Lots of arm waving. She was convinced the whole area was about to be overrun with hordes of killer mutant ninja reptiles dropping from the skies and tunneling up through the floors.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »
Did you happen to point out that snake or others had probably been around her house longer than she has lived there?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 03:47:44 PM »

So in the event you encounter a cougar with Alzheimer's you can tag it as a reminder? Is it written in reverse so the cougar can read it in a mirror?

That sheep farmer has a pretty big sheep pen if it abuts Texas, New Mexico AND Colorado.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
I guess that means they are in Oklahoma. When I was a young pup of about 16 I was hunting dove with a single shot 12g by Lake Ellsworth in SW OK when I stepped around a tree and came face to face with a cougar. I backed away slowly and he/she/it went the other way. I reported it to Fish and Game and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. In no uncertain terms they told me OK did not have cougars and I must have seen something else.

A lot of states used to do that, I could never figure out why.

bob

ODWC acknowledged the presence of mountain lions in the state several years ago. I've never actually seen one, but I have found tracks and other sign.  About 8-9 years ago my dad saw one on the back of my place. I was down mowing and he walked back to get me and walked one up that he claimed was watching me mow.
My suspicion about a number of local sightings is that they were released/escaped "pets". In the last 20 years I've know 2 people that illegally kept one as a "pet".

So in the event you encounter a cougar with Alzheimer's you can tag it as a reminder? Is it written in reverse so the cougar can read it in a mirror?

That sheep farmer has a pretty big sheep pen if it abuts Texas, New Mexico AND Colorado.

Meh, the OK panhandle is only about 35 miles or so North to South, it would only have to be a middling size sheep pen out there to manage it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
35 yards from house?  That's close.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »
Texas has cougars - I've spoken to some generally reliable people who've seen them not far from Austin.

What I find interesting are the occasional reports of jaguars along the Mexican border, usually in remote parts of Arizona.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
Mountain lions as well as wolverines have been spotted/documented/trailcam pics in our Michigan lower peninsula.  The MDNR always denies the existence of same.  We have a plethora of black bears.  We've had them in Grand Rapids city neighborhoods and walking down main streets close to downtown.  Critters have a way of adapting.  Back in the 60's when I was in LE, I got some great pics of a huge bull elk waltzing down a main street in a west side neighborhood around 4AM.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 08:28:20 PM »
Back in the 60's when I was in LE, I got some great pics of a huge bull elk waltzing down a main street in a west side neighborhood around 4AM.

You're certain it was a waltz, and not a foxtrot?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 08:40:55 PM »

At that age, she's no longer a cougar. That's a Turkey Vulture. All the same appetites, without the ability to hunt...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 10:44:22 PM »
You're certain it was a waltz, and not a foxtrot?

Clog dancing actually.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 11:48:00 PM »
Mountain lions as well as wolverines have been spotted/documented/trailcam pics in our Michigan lower peninsula.  The MDNR always denies the existence of same.  We have a plethora of black bears.  We've had them in Grand Rapids city neighborhoods and walking down main streets close to downtown.  Critters have a way of adapting.  Back in the 60's when I was in LE, I got some great pics of a huge bull elk waltzing down a main street in a west side neighborhood around 4AM.

Wolverine vs Caribou:  https://youtu.be/3SOjmJG73UI
Formerly sumpnz