Author Topic: Oregon Fines Man for Being an Engineeer  (Read 1686 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Oregon Fines Man for Being an Engineeer
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »
Not The Onion.

Man writes Oregon state engineering board with a letter of concern regarding traffic lights. He mentions that he's an engineer to back up his points. The result?

"ORS 672.020(1) prohibits the practice of engineering in Oregon without registration … at a minimum, your use of the title 'electronics engineer' and the statement 'I'm an engineer' … create violations."

In January of this year, Järlström was officially fined $500 by the state for the crime of "practicing engineering without being registered."

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/man-fined-dollar500-for-crime-of-writing-i-am-an-engineer-in-an-email-to-the-government
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Oregon Fines Man for Being an Engineeer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »
Officious bureaucrats, tar, feathers, rail. Some assembly required.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »
Engineers are very protective of their title and many locales require anyone calling themselves an "engineer" to be licensed of hold a professional engineering certification.

This is not necessarily the state overreaching, but engineers themselves putting this framework in place to protect their "value".

ETA: often, "professional engineers" take offense at people like me, Revdisk, and others calling ourselves network engineers or security engineers because we don't have a professional accreditation as "engineers". 

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »
The story is from 2014. Still illustrates why people hate bureaucrats, though.

Järlström has continued his fight since then. I think some DC rights group has joined him in a lawsuit against the state for essentially being a bunch of officious idiots.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 10:10:01 AM »
The story is from 2014. Still illustrates why people hate bureaucrats, though.

Järlström has continued his fight since then. I think some DC rights group has joined him in a lawsuit against the state for essentially being a bunch of officious idiots.

Brad

Ah, sorry. I saw it posted today on Gentlemint and assumed it was a new story.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
Engineers are very protective of their title and many locales require anyone calling themselves an "engineer" to be licensed of hold a professional engineering certification.

This is not necessarily the state overreaching, but engineers themselves putting this framework in place to protect their "value".

ETA: often, "professional engineers" take offense at people like me, Revdisk, and others calling ourselves network engineers or security engineers because we don't have a professional accreditation as "engineers". 

Ayep. On one hand, I understand the desire to keep quality high with strict requirements. Problem is, structural engineering and whatnot has been around in an organized fashion for about two hundred years and guilds go back much further. Network and security engineering is about twenty years old in the modern sense of the term. Sorta.

The telco version of a network engineer goes back hundred years and it WAS a very strict guild. You had to work for AT&T and you did things the AT&T way. When telcos no longer owned communication, there was no guide/board/etc handover. The older engineering branches have zero interest in taking over this new branch of engineering. It's moving too fast to keep a good handle on anyways. There's no universal certs. The certs change all the time. Too many vendors issue their own certs. College and university programs often have nothing to do with the real world requirements.

I'm not overly worried. It'll be the wild west for another fifty or a hundred years before network engineering, security engineering, embedded device engineering, etc actually matures and becomes responsible. We're still in the days of lawlessness, making things up as you go, lack of standardization or meaningful credentials, etc. That's why experience matters to intelligent bosses and certs/degrees are for passing the HR filters.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
I think some DC rights group has joined him in a lawsuit against the state for essentially being a bunch of officious idiots.

But they're the state. They're registered officious idiots.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »
What I thought was interesting about the story was to wonder that if he had applied for registration as a professional engineer, would Oregon have recognized his Swedish qualifications?  The actual complaint noted that Sweden does not have professional engineer registration.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
Dang.  I'd better take that sign off my hall wall that apologizes:

SORRY FOR MY MESSY HOUSE.
  I'M AN ENGINEER, NOT AN
     INTERIOR DECORATOR.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 02:35:18 PM »

Chris

As I recall the term engineer and networks/IT started more or less with Novell and their CNE (Certified Novell Engineer program. There may have been some earlier, but not that I recall. Others started similar certification programs over the years such as MCSE and Cisco Certs and then it became somewhat generic. Colleges back then didn't teach what was going on in the real world if they even do now. And even back then we didn't always trust people with certs. Paper CNE was a well known term for people that passed a test, but couldn't do real work.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »
Fine every one of those engineers that can't prove his proficiency in train driving.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 05:12:35 PM »
Fine every one of those engineers that can't prove his proficiency in train driving.

I can drive just fine it's the stopping part that is hard.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »

Chris

TRue, but for both engineers and for architects (of which I are one), there are "title" statutes and there are "practice" statutes. In my state, for example, architects and engineers have "practice" laws, which means that it's unlawful for anyone to practice engineering (or architecture) in this state unless he/she is licensed as an engineer (or architect). On the other hand, interior designers have a "title" act, which means that nobody can call himself/herself an interior designer unless he/she is registered as such. But anyone can use alternate terms such as "interior decorator," "space planner," "facilities designer," ar anything else and practice interior design under that alternate moniker and be fully legal.

The case in the article sounds like they charged him with "practicing" engineering, and he wasn't practicing engineering. He didn't perform any engineering tasks, and he didn't take any money from any client. He wrote a letter. Maybe he is an engineer. Engineering has many branches that don't require a license to practice. He might be a chemical engineer, for example. Many years ago, I edited a book written by a gentleman who was a glass engineer. His entire working career was spent working for Corning Glass, and he didn't need a license to do that because he didn't have any clients and he didn't perform any engineering work that fell under the purview of the licensing board.

Bureaucratic overreach. This seems to be an attempt by the state to punish a well-meaning citizen for having the temerity to point out a flaw in the infrastructure. No good deed may go unpunished.

It's illegal for someone who is licensed in other states but not in this state to accept clients, take on projects, and perform engineering or architecture for projects located in this state, but if an engineer who is licensed in another state writes a letter, or shows up in a video or an article and says "I'm an engineer," nobody's going to fine him. He's not "practicing," he's just describing himself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 02:24:21 AM »
I hate my state........

Censorious, officious, bureaucratic asshats.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy