Author Topic: Trump Tax Cuts.  (Read 1313 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Trump Tax Cuts.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »
It is a good start.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »
Despite the fact I could be on the short end of the stick, Wisconsin still being a "Top Five" or "Top Ten" state for tax burden, the one thing that really has me excited and hopeful. (which, after it goes through the House, Senate, Reconciliation etc. is almost zero "hope") is the proposal to eliminate the state and local taxes deduction.

It essentially provides some back end subsidy for the states who go crazy on taxes, and lessens the pain, and the motivation on those taxpayers to rein in their local politicians and spending. Arguably where personal opinions and input has much more impact.

And I'm sad that cutting the corp. tax rate to 15% would even be controversial. Honestly, it should be slashed down to 10%. That and the current admin's attitudes about agency-level regulations would have the world running back to the U.S. for all sorts of manufacturing in an instant. Not even getting into the fact that any/all "corporate taxes" are all just pass-along costs onto end consumers anyway.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »
Despite the fact I could be on the short end of the stick, Wisconsin still being a "Top Five" or "Top Ten" state for tax burden, the one thing that really has me excited and hopeful. (which, after it goes through the House, Senate, Reconciliation etc. is almost zero "hope") is the proposal to eliminate the state and local taxes deduction.

Same here in Illinois.  It's especially "helpful" for those getting only retirement income, as that's one type of income that Illinois doesn't tax.....yet.    They can claim their property taxes and then sales taxes which often help get them over the hump from the standard deduction to being able to itemize.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
Not a bad start. I don't know how crazy I am about the top designation. While he lowered the rate (to a lesser extent than he originally said he would) he also lowered the bottom tier, which increases taxes for a lot of individual business owners, farmers, etc. who previously fell into the middle bracket.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:32:06 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 08:38:51 PM »

And I'm sad that cutting the corp. tax rate to 15% would even be controversial. Honestly, it should be slashed down to 10%. That and the current admin's attitudes about agency-level regulations would have the world running back to the U.S. for all sorts of manufacturing in an instant. Not even getting into the fact that any/all "corporate taxes" are all just pass-along costs onto end consumers anyway.

It shouldn't be controversial at all, but stupid people. Really you could almost go 0%, except for the idjits that would complain incessantly. Realistically most(pretty much alll) corporations don't really pay taxes. They may pay some taxes in some way on profits, but in reality for the most part all that means is they charge enough for the products they produce or supply that the buyers or subscribers are actually paying those taxes. Or they have some ".Fed" way to offset  transfers of money such that the income is not taxed.

Just another reason that I'm for some kind of flat tax, the only fair way; everyone just pays the same percent no deductions or any other way to reduce the taxes, etc., what have you.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:23:36 PM »
Just another reason that I'm for some kind of flat tax, the only fair way; everyone just pays the same percent no deductions or any other way to reduce the taxes, etc., what have you.

To make it fair, everyone should pay the exact same dollar amount.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 01:13:01 PM »
Or do what I heard Ron Paul mention a while back.  Eliminate the income tax entirely and don't replace it with anything.  Just reduce spending to match the loss in tax revenue. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
On the business side, it looks like he wants to eliminate taxes on business income made overseas.  That is a pretty big departure from past practice.  Between that and the 15% tax rate, there is much much less incentive for businesses to relocate. 

One-time tax on trillions of dollars held overseas
Would this be a one-time tax to move the money back to the US? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »
Just reduce spending to match the loss in tax revenue. 

This is the other (harder) half of the equation. The tax cuts are great, but I don't believe they are going to "pay for themselves" and spending needs to be reduced to match. I would rather have higher taxes to cover what we ARE spending than have lower taxes without the matching spending cuts to balance it.

http://www.redstate.com/jaycaruso/2017/04/28/republicans-need-stop-chasing-gdp-growth-fantasies-justify-tax-reductions/
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »
If the income tax rates are cut right (like Reagan did -- twice), you don't have to "pay for them."  More $$$$ in the private sector stimulates the economy, which then employs more people, which means there are now more taxpayers, which ultimatly increases government revenue.  Reagan's cuts essentially doubled the revenue.
Or would have .......
If the *&&%$%^ kongress hadn't then spent it and then some! :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 02:26:13 PM »
Congress never wants to cut spending.  So "paying for tax cuts" is not something I worry about on the front end.  If you wait around for Congress to cut spending, you will die of old age. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »
If the income tax rates are cut right (like Reagan did -- twice), you don't have to "pay for them."  More $$$$ in the private sector stimulates the economy, which then employs more people, which means there are now more taxpayers, which ultimatly increases government revenue.  Reagan's cuts essentially doubled the revenue.
Or would have .......
If the *&&%$%^ kongress hadn't then spent it and then some! :mad:

Problem is more and more people would rather put their hand out than work.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!