Author Topic: The Dark Tower Trailer  (Read 2766 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Dark Tower Trailer
« on: May 05, 2017, 10:28:15 AM »
Stephen King is an ass, but this movie looks really good. Plus Idris Elba cancels out Stephen King by a factor of 1000. :)

https://youtu.be/GjwfqXTebIY
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: The Dark Tower Trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »
And I already have a favorite line:

"Do they have guns, and bullets, in your world?" "You're gonna like Earth."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
Countdown before someone whines about single actions with swing out cylinders in a make-believe world...

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »
Countdown before someone whines about single actions with swing out cylinders in a make-believe world...

Chris

already did that, on the Book of Faces.

I only read the books through the 3rd novel.  The first is uncharacteristically spare, the others typically SK verbose.  I bogged down.

But, yes, this looks interesting.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
When I saw it was Idris Elba cast as Roland I just about lost my freaking mind. I can't think of anyone who can RULE this character any better, and there are damned few who might do as good a job as I think Elba will.

I'm praying, however, that they don't try to take on all 7 books in a single movie. I'm sorry, it can't be done. It should NOT be done.

Matthew Mcwhatever is, I think, a pretty good choice for Walter, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »
On my faceplace page a few days ago we were talking about characters who would play Roland.

I really don't think there are many. This is what I had to say about it....

"I just don't think of Clint Eastwood when I think of the gunslinger...

Tom Berenger MAYBE... and that's a huge maybe.

Djimon Hounsou likely would have been another good choice, but I don't think he's gnarled and craggy enough...

Danny Trejo... yeah, he's craggy enough.

Ron Perlman could have done it, but I think he's too stocky...

Know what? Jeff Bridges, after his role as Rooster Cogburn, likely could have pulled it off..."

Someone else said that they thought Timothy Oliphant would be a good choice. I think he'd be a better Walter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »

A black storm-trooper!!

already did that, on the Book of Faces.

I only read the books through the 3rd novel.  The first is uncharacteristically spare, the others typically SK verbose.  I bogged down.

But, yes, this looks interesting.

I really liked the first book, but once he got his fingers bitten off by giant lobster-crab thingies, and then I seem to recall a bunch of interdimensional travel, or something. I don't really get into multi-volume fiction, or Stephen King, anyway. Dylan's Cadillac and The Dark Tower is about all I've ever read of his. Those were great.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »
You need to read The Stand.

The unabridged version.

It is, simply put, one of the most perfectly woven stories I've ever read.

Bag of Bones is also incredibly well done.

A lot of people don't give King much credit as a writer because of the kind of work he produces. If you can look beyond the subject matter and look at the story telling, especially in his earlier books (The Stand, The Shining, Salem's Lot) you'd find that he really is a master storyteller.

Some of his mid career stuff was pretty much crap, though. Tommyknockers wsa a perfect example of him churning out books to capitalize on his popularity and to possibly get a TV or movie deal.

Many of his short stories are equally well crafted.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 02:35:58 PM »

Referencing For a Few Dollars More was a nice touch.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
Interesting.  Per Wikipedia article on the movie, it sounds like a retake* (eternal recursion implied by the end of "The Dark Tower") with variations, covering roughly the first novel with bits of the third.

---edit to add---

*To clarify, the movie is not the recounting of Roland's pilgrimage from the books.  It's the next go around, after he's dumped back into the desert to repeat the cycle, at the end of the last novel.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:49:12 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 03:53:53 PM »
Interesting.  Per Wikipedia article on the movie, it sounds like a retake (eternal recursion implied by the end of "The Dark Tower") with variations, covering roughly the first novel with bits of the third.

The scene with Jake going into the abandoned house, and almost being eaten by it, is definitely book 3.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 04:20:12 PM »
Oh crap, just picked up this tidbit from Wikipedia...

"Stephen King and Nikolaj Arcel have confirmed that the 2017 film The Dark Tower is a sequel to the events of the The Dark Tower book series, following Roland Deschain on his "last time round" the cycle to the titular Dark Tower, equipped with the Horn of Eld.[2] The film is set to be released on August 4, 2017 in 3D and 2D by Columbia Pictures.[3][4][5] The film has been stated a combination of the first novel, The Gunslinger, and of the The Waste Lands, while also incorporating significant story points from The Wind Through the Keyhole."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 01:48:17 AM »
I'm currently working my way through the novels. Recently finished the 5th book, but I need to go back and read The Wind Through the Keyhole since it's like book 4.5 and I skipped it. I had heard that the movie is a sort of sequel. I figured that the last one ends in a sort of resetting of everything like it's a cycle. Basically allows them to tell the books their own way without having to worry too much about the transition from book to film, also helps take care of the fact that his skin color was important to the story line since they have cast Idris Elba.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 07:13:09 AM »
Referencing For a Few Dollars More was a nice touch.

True. And using Remingtons, instead of the boring, old Peacemakers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 02:24:55 PM »
Anyone seeing the new Blade Runner 2049 trailers?

I know it's just trailers and the ability to completely cherry-pick shots, but it damn well looks like they're doing a good job of updating it, and keeping true to the source material all at the same time.

There's even some minor tidbits like they're sticking true to the original timeline/dates of "Los Angeles 2019" etc. despite it being not nearly a Blade Runner-ized looking future in real life.

They also seem to be putting some tongue in cheek references to the "Blade Runner Curse". How every brand/company except for Coke in the holograms and light boards on the sides of the buildings went out of business, or mostly did in the years after Blade Runner's release.

There's a shot of a Spinner or Spinner-like flying car going between some large buildings with a giant "Atari" logo on the side of it.

And the music in the trailer seems to be doing a decent job of channeling the original Vangelis without being hokey.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 02:30:16 PM »
I'm very excited about The Dark Tower, but I'm almost out of my freaking mind over a sequel to Blade Runner.

There's supposed to be a new trailer out in a couple of days, and I'm absolutely chomping at the bit.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »
That they have Denis Villeneuve directing, Ridley Scott is stepping back as producer, and some of the original writers involved also gives me great hope.

Villeneuve is young, has the French-Canadian "arty" thing going for his style, but not so much of it that it's unbearable, and seems like he'd respect the original slower and mostly moody pacing of the original Blade Runner.

I could always be wrong, but it really seems like they're trying to respect the original Blade Runner, and it's not just some studio effort to beat some money out of a "sure thing" with a modern day formulaic take on what drives box office sales driven by market research or whatever. And when there were broad exterior shots, we were given what we always wanted in the original, to "see more of that world" etc. Because "Los Angeles 2019" was the real star of that film. Maybe other cities elsewhere in the world. Presumably the big orange dusty place was somewhere plagued by dust storms/haboobs, as contrast to the perpetual rain in Los Angeles...

Also, the scene with Gosling walking behind the big street-sweeper hover-bus or whatever that was, it looked to be snow, or ash, and not rain. So it evoked similar shots in the original Blade Runner, but was still "different".
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 02:58:40 AM »
Full Blade Runner 2049 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4

Please, please, please studio folks, don't *expletive deleted*ck this up.  I couldn't take it.

If Alien Covenant turns out to be worth anything, Ridley Scott might single handedly save decent film making.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 06:47:53 AM »

Please, please, please studio folks, don't *expletive deleted*ck this up.  I couldn't take it.

If Alien Covenant turns out to be worth anything, Ridley Scott might single handedly save decent film making.

OH GOD I CAN'T WAIT FOR BLADE RUNNER!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »

I am going to assume they will screw it up and maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 09:45:53 AM »

Do they kill Harrison Ford in this one too?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
Do they kill Harrison Ford in this one too?

Maybe that will be his cameo appearance.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »
Maybe that will be his cameo appearance.

Wake up! Time to die!

Again!