Author Topic: DUI of a Tiger ( eye of the tiger )  (Read 2712 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
DUI of a Tiger ( eye of the tiger )
« on: May 30, 2017, 01:24:40 AM »
I done wrote it myself, can you tell?

DUI of a Tiger.
He's drinking up, driving down on your street, its his dime he's taking chances.
Was in a bar now he's back in the seat, he loves his car and he will drive.
He's loves the drinking mans sport, his hands on the club , made him rich that's the story , but now he's in jail , he's crushed in defeat tells the Judge that he is sorry.
D.U.I of a Tiger
Thrill of the night
drinking them all under the table
and he closed down the bar, driving drunk in the night
we are all watching DUI of a Tiger.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: DUI of a Tiger ( eye of the tiger )
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 08:18:01 AM »
DUI of a Tiger.
He's drinking up, driving down on your street, its his dime he's taking chances.
Was in a bar now he's back in the seat, he loves his car and he will drive.
He's loves the drinking mans sport, his hands on the club , made him rich that's the story , but now he's in jail , he's crushed in defeat tells the Judge that he is sorry.
D.U.I of a Tiger
Thrill of the night
drinking them all under the table
and he closed down the bar, driving drunk in the night
we are all watching DUI of a Tiger.

Not bad.  Correct "He's loves" to either "He loves" or "He's loved."  That apostrophe is wrong in context, even for poetry.

No sure I go for the tie-in between "Eye of the Tiger" and "D.U.I. of a Tiger" in the subject line of your post.  You shouldn't have to explain how a poem means externally.  It should come out in the expressive mode of the poem.  Note the "should."  Poetry in its broad sense really has no rules.

I was going to suggest you submit it to "Modern Drunkard" magazine...

http://www.drunkard.com/

...which publishes poetry, but most of their submissions are adamantly "pro-drinking" with only an occasional exception.  You might get some helpful feedback from them.  Their editing and publishing staff are very astute and "literary," despite their self-admitted constant state of inebriation.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:30:26 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »
My wife told me the story. My only response was: "Well, at least it's not his usual criminality."

(His poem is referring to this: http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/29/us/tiger-woods-arrested-dui/)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
Only it turns out he wasn't drunk OR driving!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »
Only it turns out he wasn't drunk OR driving!

REF?

The assumption of the poem was that his impaired driving status was from alcohol.

I was commenting on the poetry, not examining its presumptions.

He claims he wasn't drunk, it was mixed medications, but this was a holiday weekend where the drunk patrol and checkstops are all over the place, like outside of bar parking lots and such.  Has the police report come out yet? Did he take a breath test?  And he offered a big apology as if he knew he done wrong.

We'll see.  The poem itself, with some changes, could be applied to almost any drunk driving incident.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 04:32:23 PM »
It's not really "poetry" but substitute lyrics for the Survivor song "Eye of the Tiger", from one of the Rocky movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »
REF?

The assumption of the poem was that his impaired driving status was from alcohol.

I was commenting on the poetry, not examining its presumptions.

He claims he wasn't drunk, it was mixed medications, but this was a holiday weekend where the drunk patrol and checkstops are all over the place, like outside of bar parking lots and such.  Has the police report come out yet? Did he take a breath test?  And he offered a big apology as if he knew he done wrong.

We'll see.  The poem itself, with some changes, could be applied to almost any drunk driving incident.

Not looking up a news source, but according to my news junkie boss, he had taken his medication (he's currently recovering from back surgery) but when it made him feel woozy, he pulled over and nodded off. The cops arrived and he refused the breath test which is why he got hauled in.
Initial news reports stated that he was pulled over while driving erratically (except later it was reveled that he wasn't driving at all), that everyone in the vehicle smelled like booze (except he was alone) and then spent the rest of the time dredging up his past sins.

Based on that, I have a feeling that perhaps Tiger actually didn't do anything really wrong (should have taken the breath test if he really hadn't been drinking, though if he had voluntarily pulled himself over to sleep it off, I'm not sure why it matters) and he's going to be yet another victim of "fake news". Apparently they're still holding a grudge over his habit of sleeping with the ladies.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 08:21:19 PM »
Not looking up a news source, but according to my news junkie boss, he had taken his medication (he's currently recovering from back surgery) but when it made him feel woozy, he pulled over and nodded off. The cops arrived and he refused the breath test which is why he got hauled in.
Initial news reports stated that he was pulled over while driving erratically (except later it was reveled that he wasn't driving at all), that everyone in the vehicle smelled like booze (except he was alone) and then spent the rest of the time dredging up his past sins.

Based on that, I have a feeling that perhaps Tiger actually didn't do anything really wrong (should have taken the breath test if he really hadn't been drinking, though if he had voluntarily pulled himself over to sleep it off, I'm not sure why it matters) and he's going to be yet another victim of "fake news". Apparently they're still holding a grudge over his habit of sleeping with the ladies.

THIS. It was on FOX News and that's why I said what I did.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 02:09:10 AM »
OK, thanks.  Good extra information.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 06:57:38 AM »
DUI is not limited to alcohol. He was driving under the influence of prescribed medications but still DUI.
John Q. Public would still likely get convicted.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 08:32:15 AM »
The fantastic thing about DUI laws is you can often get them in most states even in a parked vehicle.  Sleep it off in the parking lot but you're running the heater so you don't freeze to death (keys in ignition)?  DUI.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 08:56:51 AM »
In FL, if you have the keys in your possession, or they are in the vehicle, and you are alone in the vehicle, you are considered to be operating it for DUI purposes.  As I have said during the DUI discussions, you don't need to be drunk, or driving to get a DUI.

FL specifically lists being too tired as "impaired".  So you could pull over at a rest stop to take a nap, get rousted by FHP, fail to walk the line because your sleepy, and get a DUI.  No chemicals needed.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »
In FL, if you have the keys in your possession, or they are in the vehicle, and you are alone in the vehicle, you are considered to be operating it for DUI purposes.  As I have said during the DUI discussions, you don't need to be drunk, or driving to get a DUI.

FL specifically lists being too tired as "impaired".  So you could pull over at a rest stop to take a nap, get rousted by FHP, fail to walk the line because your sleepy, and get a DUI.  No chemicals needed.

And that is just WRONG! You pull over BEFORE you become a danger to get some rest so you won't be a danger and get popped? That is Total BULLSHIT! You ruin a man's life for doing the right thing? THIS is why some people despise and do not trust cops.
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
And that is just WRONG! You pull over BEFORE you become a danger to get some rest so you won't be a danger and get popped? That is Total BULLSHIT! You ruin a man's life for doing the right thing? THIS is why some people despise and do not trust cops.

Suffice to say I have real issues with the way the US has chosen to try and curb drunk driving.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 11:23:08 AM »
Suffice to say I have real issues with the way the US has chosen to try and curb drunk driving.

Yeah, I do too, and I don't even drink.

MADD is the new Prohibition and Temperance movement.

Same old story, take extreme cases, make a stink, get a moderately restrictive law passed, then keep nibbling away until the activity is prohibited entirely.

So what's the next step for MADD?  0.00004%?  

Now there's a new campaign, "Buzzed driving is drunk driving."

See how it works?

Sound familiar?

This is not to say there aren't horrendous drunk driving stories, but what I really object to is the "successive nibbling" strategy which all do-gooders use to great effect.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:35:15 AM by 230RN »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 04:15:37 PM »

When did that happen? Because when a guy who wasn't taking his diabetes meds correctly (and he knew he was being negligent) went into a diabetic coma while driving and killed my Dad's friend we found out that it's not illegal to be unconscious behind the wheel in FL.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »
I used to drive drunk all the time, imo the most common things get you a dui.
its not the drinking its getting pulled over for a tailight/rolling thru a stop sign/not signalling etc.
I never got dui due to rigorous adherence to driving laws while actively drinking.
I always used my signals, always stopped at the stop sign and took the time to look both ways ( carefully ) ...
I was truly anal about obeying every single traffic law - when I was drunk I did those things due to habit.
90% of folks with a DUI got the DUI by driving the same way they do while sober, only they were tanked.
A guy once told me about the "two stupid" rule/law.
Never do two stupid things at once, if you're drunk? If you're smuggling guns? Got 10 pounds of weed?
Whatever it is - do not also fail to use your turn signal, do not drive fast etc.
My late girlfriend was killed in a dui wreck, so I have a dog in this fight - but I think most of the madd agenda is unfair and I am against the police state.
if you're a bit over the limit but not hurting anyone I see no reason to ruin your life , the cops should just do what they did when i was a kid - take your keys and let you call a cab or walk
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 05:38:33 PM »
The cops got to get their "quota" in. A little over a decade ago I was a pretty frequent inhabitant of the bar at my VFW post. Cops loved to stake the place out. We even got to the point of sending out decoys. Send out a sober guy to drive off and maybe catch a little of the curb on the very narrow driveway or something.
The local cops even made a couple of sweeps of the bar looking for people to bust for public drunk. Had one guy that lived less than 100 yards from the bar, he got arrested for public intoxication a couple of times, neat thing about that is they don't even have to have any kind of proof, just the cops say so.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
I just saw the dashcam video.

Whatever he did or didn't do, I have a question for all of you: Can you recite the alphabet backwards without hesitation? I'm stone sober, but I guess I'm going to jail.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »
Seems most of those preliminary tests are weighted in favor of the $.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
Had at least 2 flats with busted rims and a scrape on the back of the car. The plot thickens!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 04:22:39 PM »
Any bullet holes in the trunk lid?