Author Topic: California makes knowingly transmitting HIV a misdemeanor rather than a felony.  (Read 2912 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/magazine/americas-hidden-hiv-epidemic.html

So California has decriminalized knowingly infecting someone with HIV, so that it's treated just like knowingly infecting others with other diseases.

I'm sure that won't cause any problems.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
How is intentionally infecting someone with any disease (presumably without their consent) not always a felony?

zxcvbob

• friend
What about knowingly transmitting a disease to a public official?
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
What about knowingly transmitting a disease to a public official?
Is it even possible to make a virus sick?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
How is intentionally infecting someone with any disease (presumably without their consent) not always a felony?

Particularly an incurable disease. WTF California?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 08:04:48 AM »
I'd say I'm surprised, but it's California so not really. I fail to see the reasoning in this stupidity.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re:
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
I fail to see the reasoning in this stupidity.

1. California
2. The people who have HIV/AIDS are extra special, so California doesn't want to hurt their feels.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If someone was to knowingly infect me, without my consent, with an incurable, debilitating and potentially fatal disease I can guaran-damn-tee a felony would occur.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
They are looking out for their voters.

HankB

• friend
If someone was to knowingly infect me, without my consent, with an incurable, debilitating and potentially fatal disease I can guaran-damn-tee a felony would occur.
^^^^^^^^^^^
This.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re:
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »
1. California
2. The people who have HIV/AIDS are extra special, so California doesn't want to hurt their feels.

Pretty much. While it is no longer a death sentence, it is a "extremely expensive, livestyle changing and life shortening" condition. If you're being a responsible human being. While I concur that people with HIV or AIDS should not be treated like lepers, really? Bloody really?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

agricola

• friend
What a barking decision.  Over here doing it deliberately is always one of the two versions of GBH and I don't think I have ever heard of anyone complain that it shouldn't be.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
GBH = Grievous Bodily Harm?

I'm gettin' damned tired of having to look up or "translate" acronyms.

No offense (offense), agricola, but it's a general gripe for me.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Terry

TTB SIL TTWIG QSS

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
1. California

Yep.

Knowingly infect another person with HIV?  Misdemeanor.

Possess a single round of tracer ammo?  Felony.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 12:47:36 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Well, jeez, why don't the legislators on that particular bit of garbage just go out and slap the victims.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Well, jeez, why don't the legislators on that particular bit of garbage just go out and slap the victims.

Wouldn't surprise me to see reporting someone for infecting you with HIV get labeled a hate crime in Kalifornia.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend

Agreed.

And someone needs to remind Ben that "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."  [ar15]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Guys, knowingly infecting somebody with HIV is still going to be a misdemeanor.  It's still covered by a more generic law that covers all diseases.  HIV simply won't be special anymore.

Personally, I'd rather have the option of it being felony level depending on the disease.  Turns out that some other diseases are as bad as HIV is now.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Guys, knowingly infecting somebody with HIV is still going to be a misdemeanor.  It's still covered by a more generic law that covers all diseases.  HIV simply won't be special anymore.

Personally, I'd rather have the option of it being felony level depending on the disease.  Turns out that some other diseases are as bad as HIV is now.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that intentionally spreading any disease should maybe be more than a misdemeanor...
 =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Uhm. I must be mistaken, but HIV is often lethal. Not on par with shooting yourself in the head, but not insanely far off. Yes, it should be a felony. Yes, other intentional infections should be felony grade.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Uhm. I must be mistaken, but HIV is often lethal. Not on par with shooting yourself in the head, but not insanely far off. Yes, it should be a felony. Yes, other intentional infections should be felony grade.

I agree with this. Somehow this (what CA did) seems to me to be similar to "hate crime" legislation, except from the other direction. We force harsher penalties on a "hate crime" murder than we do a "regular" murder, or murders on unprotected classes of people, even though the victims all suffer equally and are all just as dead.

Here, somehow they are deciding that to make knowing and malicious HIV transmission a felony is somehow a "hate crime" against the person committing the crime because of the statistics of what protected class of people might be most likely to commit the crime. Whether HIV or doping someone's food with cyanide, the victim can end up just as dead.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.
1.  I don't want HIV to be a "special snowflake"
2.  Diseases as bad or worse than HIV should be felonies, and I'm willing to talk on where the line is on "less lethal than".

That noted, Those refusing to vaccinate their kids could be facing some jail time.