Author Topic: Religious litmus test or discovering if you can serve all Americans?  (Read 1263 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/09/532116365/is-it-hateful-to-believe-in-hell-bernie-sanders-questions-prompt-backlash?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170609

Interesting issue.  I wonder if the response would have been different if the candidate had testified that his beliefs were that all Catholics, Jews and most other Christians are condemned to Hell.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Religious litmus test or discovering if you can serve all Americans?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »
Polls show about half of all Christians in the U.S. believe that some non-Christians can go to heaven. But particularly among evangelicals, the traditional view of damnation remains widespread.

Yeah, no.

Firstly, that would more correctly be described as a scriptural view, rather than a traditional view. While it may be traditional, it is not based merely in some tradition some people decided to believe in. The fact that we're all damned to hell (apart from Christ) is something we have literally from the mouth of God, and recorded in scripture.

Secondly, that some people can't (or won't) distinguish between unpleasant truth, and hatred, is of a piece with political correctness.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/09/532116365/is-it-hateful-to-believe-in-hell-bernie-sanders-questions-prompt-backlash?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170609

Interesting issue.  I wonder if the response would have been different if the candidate had testified that his beliefs were that all Catholics, Jews and most other Christians are condemned to Hell.

Is that in fact what he believes?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 07:52:06 PM »
A lot of people have been convicted on circumstantial evidence.  Why can't we apply the same principle to immigration?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
Is that in fact what he believes?

I don't know, but would the candidate face more opposition if he had those beliefs as opposed to the Muslims being condemned to Hell? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
One tires of this talk of this group or that group going to hell. Christianity doesn't single out one group as being more deserving of hell than another. "All have sinned and fallen short," etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 07:54:45 AM »
I think my response would have raised more than a few eyebrows...

"Given that you're a godless atheist communist, Senator, you have no right to ask that question, and no reason to believe that I would stoop to defend my beliefs to a person so prejudiced as yourself."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
"Hussein Rashid, founder of the religious literacy consultancy Islamicate L3C, doesn't agree that the belief itself is a problem.

"I think we have to accept that there are theologies that are what I would call exclusionary..."

Oh, you mean like... Islam, where Christianity is statutorily illegal? 

Especially as it's practiced in, say, Saudi Arabia?

Or am I being Islamaphobic?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.