Author Topic: Bill Cosby trial deadlocked  (Read 5590 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Bill Cosby trial deadlocked
« on: June 15, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
How interesting that despite several days of deliberation, the Bill Cosby trial remains deadlocked.  I wonder if a mistrial will end up being declared, and if the prosecution sets another trial.  I suspect a second trial may depend on how many jurors were voting for conviction.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Triphammer

• friend
Re: Bill Cosby trial deadlocked
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 11:47:21 AM »
How many think that these accusations and trials would never have happened if Bill Cosby had never broken ranks a told black men they needed to be fathers to their children.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Bill Cosby trial deadlocked
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:11:48 PM »
How many think that these accusations and trials would never have happened if Bill Cosby had never broken ranks a told black men they needed to be fathers to their children.
Why do you hate women and apple pie?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »

Meh. Plenty of black people have been saying that for a long time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »
He's rich, famous, powerful. A self made success. Can't let that stand if he won't tow the line.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »

Hopefully near none. More realistically, probably a couple.

The accusations and trials are over allegations that Bill Cosby engaged in sexual assault of drugged victims. If found guilty, the accusations and trials would have never happened if he had not done so. If found innocent, well, still not good for him. Media typically believes guilty regardless of whether found innocent or guilty. Unless said person hits some metric that is constantly changing.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »
Mistrial declared.

DA says he'll prosecute again.

More pay for swamp dwellers lawyers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 05:01:11 PM »
Cosby's spokescritter is making noises as if Cosby had been acquitted. Not so. He wasn't convicted, but neither was he found not guilty. A mistrial is like an annulled marriage -- it's like it never happened, and the parties are in the exact same situation as they were in before the trial began.

Stay tuned ...  [popcorn]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 11:33:55 PM »
We'll never know for sure, but my money's on that the defense did a good job in Voir dire, and found one or two holdouts who were just unwilling to convict Alexander "Scotty" Scott, Mr. Picture-Pages, and Dr. Huxtable no matter what.

I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 11:40:11 PM »
I suspect the jury thought he wasn't innocent, but the witnesses were not credible either.
"It's good, though..."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 12:15:53 AM »
I think the big challenge the jury faced is with how long ago this allegedly happened.  No physical evidence.  Only the testimony of the victim, and the accused.   I would have a really hard time (not impossible, but a very high mountain to climb) saying I believed someone was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt without at least *some* concrete evidence of their actions.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 10:17:47 AM »
The more I see, the more I think he needs to be re-tried ... and convicted.

http://pagesix.com/2017/06/18/cosby-knew-he-would-get-a-hung-jury-all-along/?_ga=2.129714703.2043691547.1497793965-2129158621.1497793965

On the one hand, he's still claiming that he's innocent. (Like, what else would he say, with multiple civil suits on the horizon.) But all he's looking for is ONE holdout to get him off. An innocent man, if there was really "no case," wouldn't be pinning his hopes on a lone juror engaging in jury nullification. He'd be expecting a finding of Not Guilty.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
I have difficulty with mistrials due to a hung jury.  Mistrial on technical grounds or suborned jury member, yeah, but it seems to me if a strong enough case can't be made to get a 100% consensus of guilt on the first go-round, tough noogies, Prosecutor, the defendant should be found innocent and that should be that, absent provable jury-tampering or new evidence or the Courthouse burned down or something.

Sorry, Mr./Ms./Mrs. Prosecutor, if you couldn't lay out your case with all the best evidence you have at hand well enough to convince 6 or 12 people to unanimously convict... too bad on you.

Just seems like the right way to go.  I'm sure there are abstruse technical-legal reasons to have a new trial, but on the face of it, as a non legal beagle, I still have a problem with "new trials" due to "hung" juries.

I'm not defending Cosby, I just have an ethical problem with hung jury mistrials / retrials.

Sometimes The Law is an ass.

And don't take that as an out-of-context quote.  Take it as a direct opinion of Terry, 230RN:  Sometimes The Law is an ass.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:37:04 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »
I have to disagree, Terry. Both sides are entitled to a verdict, and a hung jury does not produce a verdict. Your argument applies to the other side, as well: If the defense had a strong defense, they should be able to convince all 12 jurors to vote for Not Guilty. The standard for a criminal trial is "beyond reasonable doubt." If the jury is hung, that means the defense team couldn't even persuade all the jurors that there was reasonable doubt.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »
I loved the part where Cosby's attorney said Gloria Allred should go back to law school.   

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »
I have to disagree, Terry. Both sides are entitled to a verdict, and a hung jury does not produce a verdict. Your argument applies to the other side, as well: If the defense had a strong defense, they should be able to convince all 12 jurors to vote for Not Guilty. The standard for a criminal trial is "beyond reasonable doubt." If the jury is hung, that means the defense team couldn't even persuade all the jurors that there was reasonable doubt.

I submit that the very fact of a non-unanimous jury deliberation ("hung jury")  means there is ipso facto reasonable doubt.  The verdict should therefore be "not guilty" in such situations.

"Your argument applies to the other side, as well: If the defense had a strong defense, they should be able to convince all 12 jurors to vote for Not Guilty."  I find this to be illogical.  It does not apply to the defense side and merely stating it does not make it true.  All the defense has to do is present enough evidence to create reasonable doubt about guilt.

In the case of a hung jury, the defense obviously has done so.

I said it, and I'm stickin' to it, and I'm done with it.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:57:39 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
I loved the part where Cosby's attorney said Gloria Allred should go back to law school.   

I suppose, given the nature of the charges, telling her to go back to the kitchen would have been counter-productive.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »
I submit that the very fact of a non-unanimous jury deliberation ("hung jury")  means there is ipso facto reasonable doubt.  The verdict should therefore be "not guilty" in such situations.

"Your argument applies to the other side, as well: If the defense had a strong defense, they should be able to convince all 12 jurors to vote for Not Guilty."  I find this to be illogical.  It does not apply to the defense side and merely stating it does not make it true.  All the defense has to do is present enough evidence to create reasonable doubt about guilt.

Terry

In the case of a hung jury, the defense has NOT created a reasonable doubt in the minds of all twelve jurors -- and the prosecution obviously HAS convinced some of those twelve jurors that the defendant IS guilty beyond the aforesaid reasonable doubt. That's why the verdict should NOT be not guilty, any more than it should be guilty. A verdict requires all the jurors to agree.

Cosby's defense convinced some jurors that there was reasonable doubt, but they didn't convince all of them. Your suggestion that there should automatically be  a verdict of not guilty when not all the jurors think he's not guilty is what's illogical. Suppose the jury was hung with eleven votes to convict, and one hold-out who just wasn't going to convict Fat Albert regardless of what evidence was put in front of the jury? Why should the verdict be not guilty?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 05:26:03 PM »

Terry

I'm with you. If you can get a certain percentage of jurors say 1/4th or maybe 1/3rd to vote not guilty the defense should win.

I also think there should be three possible verdicts: Guilty, Not Guilty, and Proven Innocent. The difference in the last two being that with Proven Innocent (which would have to be unanimous) the jury has agreed that the case should not have been brought at all and that the prosecutor and the judge have thus abused the rights of the defendant and now must face a trail of their own to keep their jobs and maybe even their freedom. Plus losing opens them up to a civil trial as well.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »

I suppose, given the nature of the charges, telling her to go back to the kitchen would have been counter-productive.
Better than telling her to take a chill pill.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »
I have two problems with this.

1. The accuser already entered into a settlement with him in a civil matter. That should end it before a criminal prosecution starts. If not the accuser should be returning the monies in the civil matter at the very least. The libertarian in me says that two parties can have a matter decided outside criminal court and the government can't then choose to open those records to setup a criminal case without some justification that there was some fraud involved on one side or the other.

2. This happened a very long time ago, we have statutes of limitations for a reason. It can be very difficult to have a fair trial on either side after such a long time passes. This gets back to number one. The accuser had a choice all those years ago to have a criminal charge filed or pursue a civil case. I don't believe you should do one and then convert to the other years and years later. Some states are trying to change the statute of limitations on these types of crimes or have already. I believe that is also an issue for some of the same reasons. Evidence may no longer be available and memories are not infallible. Also potential victims do have a responsibility to pursue changes within a reasonable period of time. It can create doubt purely on them waitingon whether there was a crime at that moment or they decided maybe they felt different years later.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 07:17:42 PM »
Your argument applies to the other side, as well: If the defense had a strong defense, they should be able to convince all 12 jurors to vote for Not Guilty.

Except we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. It is up to them to prove that he is guilty.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 08:30:58 PM »
2. This happened a very long time ago, we have statutes of limitations for a reason. It can be very difficult to have a fair trial on either side after such a long time passes.

Not all crimes have a statute of limitations. Murder doesn't. Rape doesn't. Why should they? Oh you murdered someone 10 years ago and didn't get caught. Welp, statute of limitations is out so that means you're good to go. You murder, rape, grievously assault, then you should be punishable period no matter when it happened.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »
Not all crimes have a statute of limitations. Murder doesn't. Rape doesn't. Why should they? Oh you murdered someone 10 years ago and didn't get caught. Welp, statute of limitations is out so that means you're good to go. You murder, rape, grievously assault, then you should be punishable period no matter when it happened.
Ordinarily I'd agree. However with a case like I'm skeptical