Author Topic: Journalism is a Business ...  (Read 2901 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Journalism is a Business ...
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/06/okeefe-undercover-bombshell-cnn-producer-admits-trump-russia-story-bullsht-video/

Bonifield laughed off the notion that the media has an ethical responsibility and said ‘it’s a business’ and ‘they gotta do what they gotta do to make money’.

I feel naïve for having thought otherwise ...   :facepalm:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Journalism is a Business ...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:57:07 AM »
Is that the guy that just got fired from CNN for his fake story?

Nope, different guys, but probably involved somehow.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/26/media/cnn-announcement-retracted-article/index.html
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »
Ben that way for pretty much the entire existence of "journalism".
The goal is to SELL something in order to make a profit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
I sense more resignations coming from CNN in the near future.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 04:53:40 PM »

I mean, he's right and this has nearly always been the case. There have been yellow journalism 'ages' in the past. Spanish American war is a famous example, where the media essentially started the war without a shred of proof.

But normally journalists hide behind some degree of deniability and professionalism put limits on how far they would corrupt the news for a specific agenda. Good business reasons as well. If your brand is considered junk, it is priced accordingly. Less ad money. It gets harder to get more respectable people to do interviews. People refuse to talk to you.

I'm far from any sort of Trump supporter. Minus Mattis, I'm not impressed by any of his decisions so far. That might change, especially if suppressors are deregulated. But it is blatantly obvious the media flat out hates the guy. They're far worse than they even were during the Bush years, and it was embarrassing back then.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:33:46 AM »
They're far worse than they even were during the Bush years, and it was embarrassing back then.

Hmmm... there's this thing we've been doing that's been costing almost our entire industry customers/consumers and we're all in decline. The few exceptions like Fox and the WSJ at least to some extent are doing the opposite...

I KNOW! LET'S DO WHAT WE'VE BEEN DOING HARDER!

:rofl:
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »
. . . But normally journalists hide behind some degree of deniability . . .
The movie Absence of Malice (1981, Paul Newman, Sally Field) does not paint journalists in a very flattering light, and it was released 36 years ago.

More people should see it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 04:44:39 PM »
Hmmm... there's this thing we've been doing that's been costing almost our entire industry customers/consumers and we're all in decline. The few exceptions like Fox and the WSJ at least to some extent are doing the opposite...

I hope so, but the guy at CNN said Trump bashing was really good for their ratings.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »
I hope so, but the guy at CNN said Trump bashing was really good for their ratings.

Oh I know. MSNBC has shot to the top of the ratings because all the distraught Democrats and Leftists are tuning in.

Thing is, it's not sustainable. Best case scenario, they get 7 1/2 years of a boost out of this because Trump becomes a two-term president, and the Left can maintain the energy needed for this much agitation/hate. Meanwhile the Internet, Streaming video, tablets smartphones, the DVR, the proliferation of narrowcasting cable/satellite TV channels... all the usual suspects are still eroding the fundamental viewership base and profit model of the MSM.

Fox's long-term bump from being the sole conservative/centrist outlet in the entire media-scape isn't really reproduceable long-term by the likes of MSNBC and CNN.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »

I just read that Greta Van Sustren was fired without notice from MSNBC today. According to the article at CNN, it was because she was not being confrontational enough, which I think is the reporter equivalent  of antifas throwing urine bombs.

While certainly Fox has bomb throwers like Hannity, they have way more people like Brit Hume, who actually do the "who what why where" thing. MSNBC seems to be predominately bomb throwers, and I saw their audience was mad that they were going another route in a few instances and hiring actual reporters. I guess they're lstening to their audience. Van Sustren was there barely 6 months.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:29:56 AM »

The media on both sides are businesses. Honest, well reasoned, non-inflammatory content does not generate views, clicks and eyeballs. The modern business environment is driving more and more inflammatory content and conduct. Fox has LONG had a low reputation for accurate news. Even most Rightists would admit that, they just don't see that part as important as it not being so over the top Leftist as most other services. Substantially more Leftists than Rightists go into journalism, often ones that are pretty far left. Give it a couple decades, and you have our current ecosystem.

A lot of people believe Fox is ueber wonderful and that's why it's successful. Which isn't the case. Fox News is pretty junk stuff, but they're not facing any substantial opposition. If you had a half dozen major competitors, they'd be in the middle of the pack at best. The more numerous Leftist networks have a much more competitive environment. They're fighting for the attention in a field with a lot of competition. Hence why you will continue to see their journalists do weirder and wackier stuff. There's a half dozen times as much pressure as Rightist journalists are facing. Both sides have around 40% of the country that would maybe voluntarily watch their services. The rightists are slicing up that pie into much fewer portions.

An interesting exercise for folks here...

What can mainstream Leftist news entities DO with the eroding industry due to economic pressures and competition with the internet? (Skip the standard "they can join the correct side, by which I mean my own" answer)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »
If Fox News is "pretty junk stuff," then  what is  MSNBC,  NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN?   Fox sure ain't perfect,  but it's  a sight better than the competition.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »

What can mainstream Leftist news entities DO with the eroding industry due to economic pressures and competition with the internet? (Skip the standard "they can join the correct side, by which I mean my own" answer)

That seems like an exercise for our friends in the establishment press. If they want clicks and eyeballs, why not troll the left-wing base with tales of scandal on the left? They don't even have to be real scandals, given the mileage they get from non-troversies occuring on the right. Surely, they could have found more to talk about with the shooting of Scalise, et al.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »

They can die.  =)

And they can be replaced by RSS feeds and small shell scripts. I'm sort of coming around to the conclusion that journalism is an inherently flawed endeavor, and as strange as it may seem, a free society and western civ in general may do no better or worse with journalism whittled down to whatever bare minimum the Darwnistic free market and technological forces sees fit.

Because even when journalism is "accurate" and largely non-partisan, due to the limitations of the mediums... any of them, it's still embedded within a greater context of falsity.

Falsehood through semantics. Falsehood through how much or how little something is presented. Falsehood through omission. Falsehood through the premise of the questions asked.

And when you see how often they're just plain wrong on any particular technical subject when you're something of an expert on it, firearms, science, aviation whatever.. even when such errors are devoid of any intentional bias, you've got to wonder if they're that wrong about everything?
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »
If Fox News is "pretty junk stuff," then  what is  MSNBC,  NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN?   Fox sure ain't perfect,  but it's  a sight better than the competition.

I have no ideology loyalty to either. I'm not a strict Rightist or Leftist so I have no particular brand loyalty. I'm free to saying both can be junk. MSNBC is absolutely the worst dreck outside of HuffPo regardless of ideology. What you mean to say is that Fox is a friendlier network to your ideology. Which is not a terrible or judgmental thing. I regularly skip media that makes my head hurt. Even folks I enjoy listening to about certain things give me blinding headaches on others.

My own personal thing is to rely on bias and indifference. Reuters is probably the sole best single source or for regional overviews. AP wire is hit or miss on what agenda is being pushed. Fox or CNN are decent, not great but decent, on things they don't care about. Asia, South America, etc. I go to BBC and other foreign news for domestic US stuff. al Jazeera for anything outside the ME. Fox/MSNBC/CNN 'care' about the US and follow their ideological political correctness for the US. BBC is a bad source for domestic UK news, because they're biased as hell about UK politics. al Jazeera is politically correct for anything about the ME. RT is good for checking the official political correctness of the Kremlin.

That seems like an exercise for our friends in the establishment press. If they want clicks and eyeballs, why not troll the left-wing base with tales of scandal on the left? They don't even have to be real scandals, given the mileage they get from non-troversies occuring on the right. Surely, they could have found more to talk about with the shooting of Scalise, et al.

Which would stop leftists from talking and cooperating with said news organizations. Tis why why you see more Leftists on MSNBC and more Rightists on Fox. Generally speaking. If you slam someone, they're not inclined to show up for interviews they expect to be hostile. Which is fine, if you can get by without them. But investigative journalism is far more difficult than "if it bleeds, it leads" and angry rhetoric normally practiced by all the major mainstream news types.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »
Which would stop leftists from talking and cooperating with said news organizations. Tis why why you see more Leftists on MSNBC and more Rightists on Fox. Generally speaking. If you slam someone, they're not inclined to show up for interviews they expect to be hostile. Which is fine, if you can get by without them. But investigative journalism is far more difficult than "if it bleeds, it leads" and angry rhetoric normally practiced by all the major mainstream news types.

But the interviews they get are boring, softball events where they say absolutely nothing.  

There are multiple competing priorities pushing on these news groups and almost none of them have anything to do with good reporting.  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:48:39 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »

The media on both sides are businesses. Honest, well reasoned, non-inflammatory content does not generate views, clicks and eyeballs. The modern business environment is driving more and more inflammatory content and conduct. Fox has LONG had a low reputation for accurate news. Even most Rightists would admit that, they just don't see that part as important as it not being so over the top Leftist as most other services. Substantially more Leftists than Rightists go into journalism, often ones that are pretty far left. Give it a couple decades, and you have our current ecosystem.

A lot of people believe Fox is ueber wonderful and that's why it's successful. Which isn't the case. Fox News is pretty junk stuff, but they're not facing any substantial opposition. If you had a half dozen major competitors, they'd be in the middle of the pack at best. The more numerous Leftist networks have a much more competitive environment. They're fighting for the attention in a field with a lot of competition. Hence why you will continue to see their journalists do weirder and wackier stuff. There's a half dozen times as much pressure as Rightist journalists are facing. Both sides have around 40% of the country that would maybe voluntarily watch their services. The rightists are slicing up that pie into much fewer portions.

You ought to know very well that the "If if bleeds, it leads" crap is a secondary consideration.

The press has sat on scandalous information several times (that is publicly known) because it would hurt the liberal cause.

If the "If it bleeds, it leads" were truly the case, why did Representative Scalise vanish from their reporting within hours of an attempted assassination?

Why the "Yawn, local news" to what was likely the most prolific serial killer in the history of the United States?

Oh, right. Because those stories are detrimental to liberal causes. So they get ignored, buried, or given minimal attention.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »
Religion is a business, too, at least to the extent that some people have to be paid. But we all feel safe knowing that we're not being told blatant lies by our ministers and priests.