Author Topic: Anyone Ever Get Good Deals With Their NRA Member Benefits?  (Read 859 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Anyone Ever Get Good Deals With Their NRA Member Benefits?
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:03:31 PM »
Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, but several times now I've tried using the NRA "discount number" at various travel related businesses for the "super discount". I've never gotten a better deal through the NRA program than I get just doing a Travelocity search. Today I was booking some travel to Florida. Every hotel site said, "This discount code not valid at this location." When I went to book a rental car, the NRA price was in one case equal to, in the other cases higher (though by very little), than a standard Travelocity car search.

So any of you ever get good deals through the member discounts??
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DrAmazon

• friend
Re: Anyone Ever Get Good Deals With Their NRA Member Benefits?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 04:19:51 AM »
I got an excellent price on moving using my NRA discount, (Allied Van Lines) but since it still exceeded my moving allowance, I wound up moving myself (won't do that again).    The quote was a binding, not to exceed quote and the estimator was really nice.  She commented that the company was very happy with the business that the NRA brought. 
Experiment with a chemist!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 04:40:58 AM »
Thanks Doc. I'm kinda guessing with the tight competition in things like hotels and rental cars, the NRA discount just doesn't work as well there, but maybe with the other offerings, like the moving van, they can compete better.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 05:24:15 AM »
I got a nice discount a couple years back at the Best Western hotel in Blacksburg, VA, just by asking the manager if there was an NRA discount.  He didn't ask to see my membership card or anything.  Probably it was a combination of B-burg being mostly rural-southern mindset combined with the idea that it's unlikely that someone who wasn't a legitimate NRA member would think to claim that particular discount.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 08:15:53 AM »
I have found that the NRA discount is not any different than all the other discounts that are out there.  I usually use my government benifits and get a better deal.  The biggest thing with the government deals usually is that they will hold reservations longer than most.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!