Author Topic: Firefox improves memory usage and performance  (Read 2007 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Firefox improves memory usage and performance
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »
http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/108229-firefox-quantum-flow-big-impact-app-loading-memory/

I reference the above article because of this:
Quote from: From Above Link
Mr Ayala could be called an extreme user of Firefox and has been working for Mozilla for over a decade. His default browser profile means that when Firefox loads it loads with 1691 tabs. In previous versions of Firefox, including recent ones that usually means a startup time of 5 minutes or more on Ayala's Macbook computer.
Emphasis by me.

WTF do you need to open 1691 tabs at the same time?  Has he ever heard of bookmarks?

Anyways with versions 55 and 56 the opening of 1691 tabs takes almost no time at all.  They also drop the RAM usage to under .5 GB whereas other version were using over 2 GB of RAM.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Firefox improves memory usage and performance
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
Well, I usually don't have more than a half dozen tabs open at a time, but I sure have noticed over the last year or more what a memory hog FF has become. It's always using 1-1.5 gig with me by the end of the day. I've always figured it was memory leaks, but I guess it could have been bad coding and bloating as well. I'll have to monitor after the next update to see how it performs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 08:20:58 AM »
I often have 20-30 tabs open. =D I've noticed that even without all them open, Firefox was a resource hog.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »
I can't stand having multiple tabs open unless I am actively using them.  Is that the internet version of "get off my lawn."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:57:22 AM »
TOR browser gets kinda hoggy with a bunch of tabs open as well. 

In my unscientific testing Chrome* doesn't slow down much at all with 12-15 tabs open while Firefox noticeably would.  Maybe I should try the new version.

*Chrome is probably spying on me back to Google more though.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 09:51:14 AM »
I often have 20-30 tabs open. =D I've noticed that even without all them open, Firefox was a resource hog.

Including this (Middle click forum quote button to open in a new tab), 8 are open.  That's about the most I'll have open at any one time, unless I'm researching something.

Firefox was a resource hog.

Firefox has always had that reputation. 

For a long time it was the only non-toy option on Linux.  Now we have Chrome and it's derivative Chromium.  I've never like them that much.  Harder to tweak.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 01:56:59 AM »
Unfortunately, starting in Firefox 57 they're going to drop support for XUL/XPCOM, which is the framework that makes many browser plugins possible, particularly those that let you modify the interface.  :mad:

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 06:43:36 AM »
Unfortunately, starting in Firefox 57 they're going to drop support for XUL/XPCOM, which is the framework that makes many browser plugins possible, particularly those that let you modify the interface.  :mad:

Does that mean that Classic Theme Restorer won't work? If so, I may have to stop at version 56.x.x
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »
What version of Firefox are youz guyz at? I don't always check anymore with auto updates and versions being in the 50.x.x ranges, but just looked and see I'm at 54.0.1 with no new updates available. Are some of you running betas of 55.x.x?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »
I'm on the ESR (Extended Release) channel. I'm at version 52.2.1, which is the current ESR version.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
I'm on the ESR (Extended Release) channel. I'm at version 52.2.1, which is the current ESR version.

I'm on ESR, and it's telling me it's 54.0.1.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
I'm on ESR, and it's telling me it's 54.0.1.

Mozilla drives me nuts.

My Firefox was updated (by Mozilla's prompting, not by my going to look for an update) to 52.2.1 only a week or ten days ago. I just checked their Firefox ESR download page, and 52.2.1 is what they're offering now:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

So how the heck can you have 54.0.1?

It says here ( https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/52.2.1/releasenotes/ ) that 52.2.1 was first offered on June 29, 2017. Are you in a beta test program or something?

According to this schedule ( https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar ), There is no Firefox 54.0.1, and never will be. Version 52.3 isn't due out until next week.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
I've also got 54.0.1, just as a regular user.  It updated last week.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 06:21:05 PM »
Does that mean that Classic Theme Restorer won't work? If so, I may have to stop at version 56.x.x

Yes. That's where I learned about it.

https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer/issues/299
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 06:39:38 PM »
Firefox updated to ver. 55 automatically today.  It seems faster, but I've not used it much yet.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »
Firefox updated to ver. 55 automatically today.  It seems faster, but I've not used it much yet.
Mine upgraded at the beginning of the week and it is noticeably faster.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »
I've only used on APS so far, and just this one session.  Pages load noticeably faster.