Author Topic: RAISE Act  (Read 2426 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
RAISE Act
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:03:07 PM »
Well the left is once again losing their collective caca.

Looks like this caps the refugee visas at 50,000 total from all over the world.

Eliminates preferences for extended family.

Up to 140,000 employment based visas (H1B's ??) based on a points system.

Requires sponsors to reimburse the Fed.Gov for any and all benefits received by refugees.

Synopsis:

https://www.cotton.senate.gov/files/documents/170802_New_RAISE_Act_Section_by_Section.pdf  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Andiron

• friend
Re: RAISE Act
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:49:51 PM »
Kill the  H1B side and I think it's a good start.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
Kill the  H1B side and I think it's a good start.

Agreed. Gotta start somewhere.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »
That Hawaiian federal court judge is warming up his injunction machine right about now.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if he magically conjures the ability to issue an injunction against legislation that has yet to pass out of Congress.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:31:31 AM »
One of the talking heads on TV said it would also get rid of "diversity visas" . . . that nasty little program that says if in past years we admitted a lot of Indian doctors, Japanese engineers, and English mathematicians, in the future we'll reduce the number of slots for these people in favor of Afghan poppy growers, Somali goat herders, and Kalahari bushmen.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »
From the "bullet point" news that I've gotten on it, including the progressive outrage, I can't help but wonder why Trump (or any previous president that was pro immigration reform) doesn't sell these types of plans as, "using the Canadian model", or "using the Australian model". Both countries  (and many other "liberal" countries with stricter immigration polices than us) are beloved by progressives. Why not make the progressives argue against themselves instead of just leaving things open for them to call common sense reforms racist and nazi?

The left always uses "the Australian model" in their gun control arguments. They should embrace the Australian immigration model.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
The left always uses "the Australian model" in their gun control arguments. They should embrace the Australian immigration model.

Canada might be ok, but I'm not so sure Australian immigration is something we'd want to mimic too closely:
Nearly half (49%) of all Australians were either born overseas (first generation) or have at least one parent born overseas (second generation). The remaining 51% were at least third generation – born in Australia to Australian-born parents.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 01:24:07 PM »
Canada might be ok, but I'm not so sure Australian immigration is something we'd want to mimic too closely:

I don't really want to mimic it either - just using it as an example of a "socially acceptable" country's policy that's still tougher than ours. I probably should have used New Zealand though. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »
It's a very good idea.

For that reason, I'm certain it will never even come up for a vote.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
This bill is flawed but is a good start.

Kalahari bushmen

Oh come on! This would be hilarious. Find the highest concentration of lefty run farms and co-ops and sustainable eco-fraud ag businesses in the country and let the Bushmen loose there. Make sure to tell the !Kung that all those folks believe in sharing and it's not a problem to hunt wherever.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »
Swing state voters overwhelmingly support the RAISE Act.

If the Dems wanted to counter the Trump movement they would have to embrace this. They would need to throw illegals under the bus politically and go all-in for the American worker. (And protecting American companies from foreign competition.)

They would get so many votes out of that that it would dwarf whatever the amount of votes the illegals are giving them now.

As far as I can tell Trump ran on four main things: 1) Protecting the American worker by deporting unneeded surplus workers, 2) Protecting American businesses by putting up higher tariff walls and voiding bad international agreements and other things, 3) Encouraging more business by deregulating the economy, and 4) Having a zero-tolerance policy for miscreants. 

I don't see the Dems being attracted to 3 & 4 as their basic philosophy is to encourage miscreants and to hamstring wealth creation and to nit-pick everything in the commercial world. However the first two should be easy if they do the math and project what their net gain in votes would be.

However they are so wrapped up in identity politics they won't be able to do it. Not that I'm rooting for them though.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 09:10:35 AM »
This law is a wonderful idea.  The GOP will never go for it, because the rich people who want to drive down wages will oppose this.

I really despise the GOP.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »
The GOP will never go for it, because the rich people who want to drive down wages will oppose this.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.
Quote from: Lindsey Graham
If this proposal were to become law, it would be devastating to our state’s economy, which relies on this immigrant workforce.
Quote from: Ron Johnson
we need to make sure we have an immigration system that allows enough people into this country to make sure that we can staff manufacturers and dairy farms
:mad:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »

As far as I can tell Trump ran on four main things: 1) Protecting the American worker by deporting unneeded surplus workers, 2) Protecting American businesses by putting up higher tariff walls and voiding bad international agreements and other things, 3) Encouraging more business by deregulating the economy, and 4) Having a zero-tolerance policy for miscreants. 

You forgot 5) National carry reciprocity.

So did the Republicans.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
Do any of you travel even semi-often, and stay at mid-price or low-price hotels? If so, have you noticed how many Econo-Lodge and similar hotels seem to be owned by Pakistanis these days? Along with 7-Elevens and other quik-stop type gas station/convenience store places.

I had a cousin (who passed away a few years ago) who used to own a hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona. When my late wife arrived in the U.S. in 2004 we took a few weeks to drive around the country so she could see some of the country she was going to be living in. By 2004 my cousin had sold his hotel and was retired in Prescott. We visited him there, and he mentioned that he had sold his hotel just in time. The reason? He said ALL the low- and mid-price hotels were being taken over by Pakistanis ("And they're all named Patel" -- which actually seems to be true), and they put the entire family to work at little or no pay so they don't have to hire any outside staff. The American-owned hotels that hire Americans can't compete.

So, does the United States really need more hotels and quick-stops run by foreigners who don't hire anyone other than family members?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:04:11 PM by Hawkmoon »

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »
I don't see the Dems being attracted to 3 & 4 as their basic philosophy is to encourage miscreants and to hamstring wealth creation and to nit-pick everything in the commercial world. 

And right on cue they're doing both with one law!

These people are amazing in their ability to screw people over.