Author Topic: NY SAFE Act & Bureaucratic Blunder  (Read 664 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
NY SAFE Act & Bureaucratic Blunder
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
I saw this in an NRA email. A 70 year old in NY was incorrectly labeled "incompetent" via a social security number mistake. That made him guilty until proven innocent as he fought the state to get his guns back. An interesting point was that this "mentally incompetent" 70 year old immediately (and with the pressure of cops bearing down on him) caught the fact that the police paperwork had two different social security numbers on it. All the people that put the paperwork together missed it.

He eventually got his guns back. Another interesting point was that they were just going to give him his handguns, not his rifles, stating that the rifles would be going to a local gun shop. A judge countermanded that. Just goes to show why this law is such a bad idea. All it takes is some intern at the hosital transposing numbers, and someone is turned into a criminal because no one down the line bothers to verify data. Pretty similar to no knocks at the wrong address, IMO.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170804/firearm-registration-plus-bureaucratic-incompetence-seizure-of-innocent-veteran-s-guns-in-new-york

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2017/07/deputies_confiscate_a_cny_veterans_guns_they_were_wrong_what_happened.html

The reader comments (at least the ones I read) from the Syracuse article were all pretty anti-SAFE. Is that a conservative area of NY I wonder?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: NY SAFE Act & Bureaucratic Blunder
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 11:07:27 AM »
 ..... The reader comments (at least the ones I read) from the Syracuse article were all pretty anti-SAFE. Is that a conservative area of NY I wonder?

Upper New York is certainly more conservative than  NYC.   I spent 4 years at Syracuse University and that city is moderate to conservative.....though the university, sadly, has gone commie-pinko galore.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: NY SAFE Act & Bureaucratic Blunder
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »
Upper New York is certainly more conservative than  NYC.   I spent 4 years at Syracuse University and that city is moderate to conservative.....though the university, sadly, has gone commie-pinko galore.

Syracuse ain't unique in that respect.  I suspect that after the University of Colorado in Boulder built the massive Williams Towers dormitories, the shift to "galore" really started.  It's like the dorms created some kind of critical density of leftists which was unstoppable.  Prior to that, student  housing was pretty much scattered all over town, except for the Quonset-hut married student housing on Arapahoe Avenue.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.