Author Topic: Boy accidentally hangs himself after watching Saddam  (Read 1494 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Boy accidentally hangs himself after watching Saddam
« on: January 04, 2007, 08:54:15 PM »
This just plain sucks.  "Sad" and "unfortunate" don't seem adequate...
 sad

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070104/ap_on_re_us/accidental_hanging

Boy hangs himself after watching Saddam

Thu Jan 4, 10:40 AM ET

HOUSTON - Police and family members said a 10-year-old boy who died by hanging himself from a bunk bed was apparently mimicking the execution of former Iraqi leader
Saddam Hussein.

Sergio Pelico was found dead Sunday in his apartment bedroom in the Houston-area city of Webster, said Webster police Lt. Tom Claunch. Pelico's mother told police he had previously watched a news report on Saddam's death.

"It appears to be accidental," Claunch said. "Our gut reaction is that he was experimenting."

An autopsy of the fifth-grader's body was pending.

Julio Gustavo, Sergio's uncle, said the boy was a happy and curious child.

He said Sergio had watched TV news with another uncle on Saturday and asked the uncle about Saddam's death.

"His uncle told him it was because Saddam was real bad," Gustavo said. "He (Sergio) said, 'OK.' And that was it."

Sergio's mother, Sara Pelico DeLeon, was at work Sunday while Sergio and other children were under the care of an uncle, Gustavo said. One of the children found Sergio's body in his bedroom.

Police said the boy had tied a slipknot around his neck while on a bunk bed. Police investigators learned that Sergio had been upset about not getting a Christmas gift from his father, but they don't believe the boy intentionally killed himself.

Clinical psychologist Edward Bischof, of California, said children Sergio's age mimic risky behaviors they see on TV  such as wrestling or extreme sports  without realizing the dangers. He said TV appeared to be the stimulant in Sergio's case.

"I would think maybe this kid is trying something that he thinks fun to act out without having the emotional and psychological maturity to think the thing through before he acts on it," Bischof said.

Family members held a memorial for the boy Wednesday in the apartment complex activity center. Gustavo said the family is trying to put together enough money to send Sergio's body to Guatemala for burial.

"I don't think he thought it was real," Gustavo said of Saddam's hanging. "They showed them putting the noose around his neck and everything. Why show that on TV?"

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Boy accidentally hangs himself after watching Saddam
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 08:59:30 PM »
Sad.  sad
Andy

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 09:57:13 PM »
The analogy ends there, though.  If it didn't, that family would have to go over to their neighbor's house and kill them.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 11:03:50 PM »
Some 15 yr old gal in India too, weird!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 02:17:32 AM »
They bitch because it was shown on TV.  Why did they let the child watch it or do a better job of explaining what was going on once the child started asking questions.  To say that Saddam was a bad man and leave it at that.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 02:50:24 AM »
The analogy ends there, though.  If it didn't, that family would have to go over to their neighbor's house and kill them.
That's what I was thinking.  Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 11:33:31 AM »
And the Darwin Award goes to......Honestly at 10 years old I knew putting a rope around my neck and jumping off a bed was a bad idea.
A new place to disuss all things firearms related
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 01:11:35 PM »
Obviously George Bush's fault.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SomeKid

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »
Mimic nothing.

The dumb kid was committing suicide, and because he did it in a fashion similar to Saddam's (hanging) they automatically assume a link. People commit suicide by hanging. They did it before Saddam. They will continue. This is the media trying to make people feel bad who were happy to see Saddam hang. The implied thought is 'if only we had not gone into Iraq, these children would still be alive today'.

It is media doing a propagandist's work at its worst.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 03:12:17 PM »
Too bad for the kid. Oh well.
Now arrest every adult present in the house at the time it happened on child neglect charges.
This will put the brakes on the eventual law suit, which you know some sleazebag lawyer is already working on.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
His parents can probably have another kid that looks just like him, and maybe this time they'll keep kid #2 away from nooses.   rolleyes
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 04:35:42 PM »
The old saw "Monkey see, Monkey do" comes to mind.

It prevented my idjit brother from doing potentially harmful things to himself after seeing or hearing of something his friends had allegedly done.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 06:30:31 PM »
Mimic nothing.

The dumb kid was committing suicide, and because he did it in a fashion similar to Saddam's (hanging) they automatically assume a link. People commit suicide by hanging. They did it before Saddam. They will continue. This is the media trying to make people feel bad who were happy to see Saddam hang. The implied thought is 'if only we had not gone into Iraq, these children would still be alive today'.

It is media doing a propagandist's work at its worst.
Wow.   shocked  Even I am not that cynical about the media and its phony Iraq coverage.