Author Topic: Retirement Ages Around the World  (Read 1010 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Retirement Ages Around the World
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »
I found this interesting. It appears to be "official" retirement ages for various countries. The most interesting part to me was the retirement age in places like Russia and China.  I would actually have expected those values to be the same or higher than US values. Without looking at longevity charts, I don't think they are much different than US longevity. Lower ages in countries in Africa or other third world areas would have been less surprising to me, given the lower longevity.

https://aperioncare.com/blog/retirement-age-around-world/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Retirement Ages Around the World
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »
Without Life Expectancy data, that chart is fairly worthless.

Also with life spans increasing using a number that was for 1880's (when very, very very, few people lived that long), is going to cause a global implosion as fewer and fewer people are working to support those that are retired.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:05:17 PM »
Also, official retirement ages don't really mean much if you're too poor to retire. Also, even with the USA being 65-67, many people retire before that age.  So that means that the actual average retirement age the USA might not really be all that different, and could possibly actually be lower than in Western Europe.
Formerly sumpnz

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:16:58 PM »
Without Life Expectancy data, that chart is fairly worthless.

Also with life spans increasing using a number that was for 1880's (when very, very very, few people lived that long), is going to cause a global implosion as fewer and fewer people are working to support those that are retired.

My take, looking at the map, is that higher retirement age maps pretty closely to longer lifespan.  Mostly.  What's up with Afganistan, Madigascar, and Botswana and Nigeria?  An official retirement age that amounts to a seldom encountered technical formality?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:28:01 PM »
Wikipedia, but life expectancy by country. China's official retirement age is still pretty low for their 76 year life expectancy. US is 79 (both sexes average).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."