Author Topic: No Lee, seriously?  (Read 3244 times)

griz

• friend
No Lee, seriously?
« on: August 23, 2017, 10:07:10 AM »
ESPN reassigned football commentator Robert Lee because they thought his name might offend some viewers.  You know, I think we have finally crossed the line between satire and mental illness.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: No Lee, seriously?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »
In all fairness his first name is Robert.

I predict the Onion will soon be dark, after all how can they compete with real life anymore? ;)

bob

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:19:28 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:39:54 AM »
We have an intern working with our aerodynamics group right now whose name is Robbie Lee.  Smart kid, very capable.  I hope he gets an offer here when he graduates.  Happens to be black.  I have to wonder how he'll fare back at school.  It's not like he's going to like Hillsdale College.  He's at U-Wisconsin in Madison. 
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:43:36 AM »
I don't watch sports. Is the guy Bedlamite posted the guy in question? If so, seems like he has the option for the "retire to Tahiti" lawsuit for racial discrimination and hostile work environment.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 11:41:22 AM »
In all fairness his first name is Robert.

I predict the Onion will soon be dark, after all how can they compete with real life anymore? ;)

bob

"In all fairness?"  Really?  ???  

America is going nucking FUTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going? Going Nutz.... we passed that point a while back IMO. Now it has fully arrived!!!

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 12:34:37 PM »
Going? Going Nutz.... we passed that point a while back IMO. Now it has fully arrived!!!

bob

Embrace the madness.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »
America's always had a component of irrational passion.  Usually concentrated in sophomore college classes.  It was always kind of amusing, but now it's mutated into an epidemic, like the black plague.

Which was transmitted by rats and their fleas.

Hmmm... apt analogy?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »
Mark Steyn has helpfully explained that the name is no longer racist if pronounced as "Lobert Ree."

Also, is Sheila Jackson Lee a Confederate sympathizer?  ???

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 01:06:20 PM »
ESPN reassigned football commentator Robert Lee because they thought his name might offend some viewers

ESPN has a reasonable explanation. Who knows if it's true.

This wasn't about offending anyone, it was about the reasonable possibility that because of his name he would be subjected to memes and jokes and who knows what else.

The reaction to our switching a young, anonymous play-by-play guy for a streamed ACC game is off the charts — reasonable proof that the meme/joke possibility was real.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 01:50:16 PM »
Please explain how it was reasonable.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »
Like it's not a meme/joke now !?!?!?!?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

And, IIRC he is of Korean descent.  And everyone knows the Joseon Empire backed the Confederacy.    ;/ ;/ ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 02:38:43 PM »
Like it's not a meme/joke now !?!?!?!?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Exactly. Being mocked for making a stupid decision proves you made the right decision.

The one way their decision was "reasonable" would be if we assumed the network wanted to be firmly to the far left of every other network on American television. Which, given ESPN's behavior so far, seems to be their intent.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
Please explain how it was reasonable.

They didn't want the guy (and by extension the network) to be the butt of a bunch of jokes & memes. Obviously it didn't work, but it's not unreasonable.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »
They didn't want the guy (and by extension the network) to be the butt of a bunch of jokes & memes. Obviously it didn't work, but it's not unreasonable.

Actually, it is unreasonable. They drew attention to something that was only a potential problem and in doing so turned it into an actual problem.
That's not a very reasonable approach to dealing with anything.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
Actually, it is unreasonable. They drew attention to something that was only a potential problem and in doing so turned it into an actual problem.
That's not a very reasonable approach to dealing with anything.
So you agree it was a potential problem?

To my knowledge, ESPN did not intentionally draw attention to it at all. They made the change quietly with no announcement and someone else made a big deal out of it.
This would never have been an issue at all, except for the fact that it was leaked to Clay Travis of Outkick the Coverage, who frequently critiques ESPN and has accused the company of having a liberal bias.
Travis wrote about it on his Web site Tuesday night and it exploded into a national story, with Travis appearing on Tucker Carlson's Fox News program.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 03:15:31 PM »

Just speaking for myself, I do not agree it was a potential problem. It is not reasonable to treat trivialities as problems.

To my knowledge, ESPN did not intentionally draw attention to it at all. They made the change quietly with no announcement and someone else made a big deal out of it.

Who could have foreseen that? ??? I wouldn't be surprised if they leaked it themselves.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »

They drew attention to it by making such a stupid decision.  Don't blame the messenger.  If this was a reasonable management decision, no one would care.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, America is fine.  Leftists are going nuts and they are leaving more Americans behind the further they go. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »

Actually, I don't think it was a potential problem, although apparently someone else did.

And if it had become a problem, the meme's/jokes could have easily been turned on the idiots who got offended making ESPN look good, not bad.

These people are (technically) a part of the news industry. They should know how to spin something by now. Instead a poor decision has turned them into a bad joke, offended a lot of people and potentially gotten them in legal trouble with an employee.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
Just speaking for myself, I do not agree it was a potential problem. It is not reasonable to treat trivialities as problems.
Things online can take on a life of their own and something that seems trivial can grow much larger than the one would expect. With stuff like Cecil the lion, Harambe, Kendall Jenner’s Pepsi Ad, Pepe the frog - I can certainly understand a network/person trying to avoid being an easy target for the online meme machine. It's hard to predict what will blow up on twitter, but swapping announcers no one knows for a game no one cares about probably seemed like a pretty low risk proposition to avoid that happening. It's not like they fired the guy or anything, he's just calling a different game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they leaked it themselves.
Someone working at ESPN supposedly leaked it so yes, in a sense that's true.

They drew attention to it by making such a stupid decision.  
A competitor drew attention to it to stir up 'outrage' (this thread and the many others like it) and get himself ratings\clicks\ad revenue. I'm sure ESPN makes plenty of stupid decisions that get nowhere near this much attention.

They should know how to spin something by now. Instead a poor decision has turned them into a bad joke, offended a lot of people and potentially gotten them in legal trouble with an employee.
I think at this point everyone, even the people who made the decision, probably recognizes it would have been better for them to leave assignment alone.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
IMO, America is fine.  Leftists are going nuts and they are leaving more Americans behind the further they go.  

The Left may be having a melt-down, but they have their hooks in this country pretty deeply. We are not fine.

Things online can take on a life of their own and something that seems trivial can grow much larger than the one would expect. With stuff like Cecil the lion, Harambe, Kendall Jenner’s Pepsi Ad, Pepe the frog - I can certainly understand a network/person trying to avoid being an easy target for the online meme machine. It's hard to predict what will blow up on twitter, but swapping announcers no one knows for a game no one cares about probably seemed like a pretty low risk proposition to avoid that happening. It's not like they fired the guy or anything, he's just calling a different game.

Thanks for explaining to me that online stuff gets out of hand. Had no idea!

Actually, it explains why you, and ESPN, are wrong. We allow things that shouldn't be a problem to become a problem, because we're worried about stuid people saying stupid things. So we let online goofiness affect real-world decisions, like how a large media organization distributes its personell.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
We allow things that shouldn't be a problem to become a problem, because we're worried about stuid people saying stupid things. So we let online goofiness affect real-world decisions, like how a large media organization distributes its personell.

Boom.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 05:20:25 PM »
Actually, it explains why you, and ESPN, are wrong. We allow things that shouldn't be a problem to become a problem, because we're worried about stuid people saying stupid things. So we let online goofiness affect real-world decisions, like how a large media organization distributes its personell.

Believe it or not, a large media organization is going to be worried about public perception. They have no choice but to be worried about those stupid people and what stupid things they will say because many of those people make up their audience. I don't expect the jokes made about Lee calling the game would have hurt ESPN much, if at all, but not having any of those jokes in the first place would still clearly be preferable.

The guy didn't want to be "internet famous" and ESPN didn't want to be the butt of a joke of so they switched assignments and he's calling another game. That's not a problem in the real world. I don't follow college football but I've read he's covering a better game now anyway. The only problem is all this "online goofiness" over the switch.