Author Topic: One of those double-edged sword kind of things...  (Read 805 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
One of those double-edged sword kind of things...
« on: January 07, 2007, 05:21:39 AM »
I've been working a freelance project for the past several months. It's going well, and it has really helped me get rid of, at this point, all but a few hundred in credit card debt and has really provided some breathing room for getting some necessary things done around my house, like getting a new fridge. They're paying me what I consider to be stupid money for work that's a bit tedious, but overall is pretty easy.

Originally I had thought that it would go through to the end of March or so, which was just fine with me, but it's now looking as if there's going to be work going through until the end of 2007, and possibly a bit longer.

Yeah, I like the money, and continuing this project would really go a long way towards eliminating all of my debt other than the mortgage. But it is still a large chunk (10 to 20 hours) of time out of my week.

I've not decided 100% what I'm going to do yet, whether I'm going to try to ramp back my hours, or whether I'm going to ask for a raise (which might ramp my hours back totally Smiley )...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: One of those double-edged sword kind of things...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 05:30:29 AM »
I'd stick with it.  If I could find freelance work that allowed me to work from home, be paid reasonably well, and was easy (even if tedious), I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 05:37:59 AM »
WWMD?

What Would Mtnbkr Do? Cheesy

No, I'm not going to up and quit, that would be very stupid, especially when I look at the segment I'm working on right now. I had to install sequal (?) server on my computer, and that's something I've never dealt with before. It was interesting from a learning aspect.

I've also gotten quite familiar with a whole new suite of authoring and graphics tools, which is never a bad thing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 06:26:13 AM »
WWMD?
What Would Mtnbkr Do? Cheesy

The world would be a better place if everyone followed that philosophy. Cheesy

BTW, it's SQL Server.  It's pronouced "Sequel", but it's spelled SQL.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 06:36:28 AM »
"BTW, it's SQL Server.  It's pronouced "Sequel", but it's spelled SQL."

Yeah. What he said. Smiley

You know, had I know that I was going to be adding almost a dozen different applications to my home computer, I think I would have bought bought another computer just for this project.

Even a bottom of the line Dell would have more than enough horsepower to run the stuff that I'm running.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:51:27 AM »
It sounds like you've already accomplished alot with this outside project.

At this point, I'd ask for more money.
Upside: more money.
Downside: see ya. More free time to shoot, longer payoff schedule on debts.