Author Topic: AR M4 recommendations for under $ 750  (Read 2136 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
AR M4 recommendations for under $ 750
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »
If you had up to $ 750 and wanted to walk into your LGS and get the best pre-built M4 for your money, what brand and model would you choose?  Just a stock model, nothing to assemble or build yourself, and no optics or electronic sights.

I am pondering this, and thought I would enlist the brain power of the Collective.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Andiron

• friend
Re: AR M4 recommendations for under $ 750
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »
Smith M&P

Going further afield from your original boundaries,  I picked up a barely used Colt 6920 last weekend for $700 on Armslist.  And those come with Magpul furniture and perfectly serviceable iron sights on em.  And that was the ask price.  Seriously,  the AR market is saturated,  shop a bit.  That $700 M&P is like 500-550 all day long on the secondary market.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »
*shrug* Probably another Bushmaster. I know some people have issues with them, but our two have been perfectly good for what we wanted.

edit: Scratch that. Wyndham.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:16:04 PM by bluestarlizzard »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:12:56 PM »
The Springfield Saint looks interesting.  A bit more than $ 750, according to MSRP, but that is not a big deal.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 10:24:51 PM »
I have seen sale prices on the S&W for $500.  Get it and buy some ammo and mags.

At the gun show in Houston weekend before last I saw Colt AR rifles for $700 to $900.  I saw $500 name brand AR rifles at that show also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:32:20 PM »
I picked up a S&W M&P 15 Sport II Sunday for $579 + tax.
It comes with 1 P-mag and a magpul MBUS flip up rear sight.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii

S&W warranty is reported to be good to very good.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 11:19:11 PM »
Any of the major name brands.  It's really about what features you want.  Handguard styles, twist rates, barrel length, sights, etc.  And if you are planning on walking into your LGS with $750 in your hot little hands, you are going to get whatever they have on the shelf.

Or you can go to CDNN and check out their offerings.  But have an idea of what you want it to do.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
I'm not a serious AR user but my M&P Sport15 has been excellent. I was going to try the Ruger until I learned about the proprietary parts, all I wanted was a quality no frills AR platform and it delivers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:07:32 AM »
I've heard nothing but good things about the S&W.  
LGS can be a mixed bag of what they might carry that's going to fit the bill.
I'm not a fan of that most rifles in that range don't have a free float option.  They're all the fixed front sight post design.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
I'm not a serious AR user but my M&P Sport15 has been excellent. I was going to try the Ruger until I learned about the proprietary parts, all I wanted was a quality no frills AR platform and it delivers.

I'm not a serious AR guy either, and currently don't have one, but right after my move out of CA, my plan is to celebrate and get the M&P in a carbine. Yes, I could get one now, but "featureless" in CA costs more than "Featured" in the rest of the country.

Since I'll likely only ever have one, I might toss out a couple hundred extra for this:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-moe-sl-mid-magpul-spec-series-flat-dark-earth

It'll be nice to have something with a flash suppressor. The "CA compliant" muzzle brake on my M1A is ridiculously loud.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »
I'm saving for the M&P Sport II myself.  Reviews are very good, it has the features I want (forward bolt assist, dust cover, barrel, Picatinny rail on the upper) and the furniture will serve me fine unless/until I want to change it out.  At my LGS, it's listed NIB for $637.  So, if I had your $750, I could get the rifle and a few PMags, and walk away pretty happy.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
I should point out that I already have a pre-ban Colt SP-1 Sporter and a Ruger stainless Ranch, so I don't really need a new AR or .223, but maybe it is time to feed the inner mall ninja.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
I should point out that I already have a pre-ban Colt SP-1 Sporter and a Ruger stainless Ranch,.

So, you do need an AR.   :-*

A modern AR is a much better rifle than the two you have.  Since the prices are so low right now, you might as well buy one.  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:43:22 PM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »
Easy, PSA. They are 10 minutes down the road from me
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »
I was chatting about this with my neighbor, the gunsmith, who recommended a DPMS recon, but said that he could build something much better for me in that price range.  So I am going to see what he is thinking about.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »
These days for absolutely cheap but functional AR, I point to PSA. At least on the lower. If you have a good gunsmith buddy who is willing to do the assembly for cheap, might be worth considering.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 11:28:46 PM »
I was chatting about this with my neighbor, the gunsmith, who recommended a DPMS recon, but said that he could build something much better for me in that price range.  So I am going to see what he is thinking about.

What kind of factory warranty does he offer?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
Better buy it quick- WA state just went full California yesterday. - the left now has both houses and the Governors office. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 01:40:44 PM »
I was just chatting with my neighbor, and he recommended using the 'AR-15 builder' tool on Brownell's to come up with a configuration that I want, and then he will recommend specific manufacturers and parts, get them via his FFL and build the rifle for me.  We were also talking about off-the-shelf models, and he mentioned that he is very impressed with the S&W M&P series, especially the Tactical and Sport series.