Author Topic: Suggestions for getting Comcast off my back  (Read 570 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Suggestions for getting Comcast off my back
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:11:55 PM »
I was an Adelphia customer for three years.  When I moved in October I canceled my service, paid the last bill, and off I went.  At the time Adelphia had been purchased by Comcast but my account had not been switched over.

About a month after I canceled my service I got a bill from Comcast.  Seems they think I owe them for November as well as a cable modem.  I purchased my cable modem new at Circuit City and I was out of my old apartment by October 31st.

I called Adelphia and confirmed that I had a zero balance, and they did not have me listed as possessing any of their equipment.  I called Comcast, got no argument from the rep, and was told that I could disregard the bill and no further statements would be generated.

This happened twice more.  I repeated the above process each time, and each time a rep assured me that the phone call would be the end of my problems.

Today I got a letter from a collections agency acting on behalf of Comcast.  Fortunately for them it was too late for me to call customer service, so tomorrow morning when I'm nice and calm I'll give them a call.

Any suggestions on what to say?  If this hurts my credit score, how do I go about fixing it?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Suggestions for getting Comcast off my back
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 11:15:43 PM »
Forget frelling around with customer service.  They'll just tell you the same load of dren they've told three times before, then do absolutely nothing.  Its time to go for the jugular and start making sure that folks in the corporate offices start having an unpleseant experience on the phone.  Locate the main Corp. number and start there.  An assertive phone persona and a directive to speak with an executive in customer relations can provide satisfactory results at times.  If that should fail, home numbers work wonders in getting corporations in the wrong to stop pestering you.  Drastic, but it does work. <B.E.G>

But if you want to give 'em one more chance, get all the details you can about the script monkey on the other end, then speak with a Supv. and make you displeasure known.  Politely of course, but make sure its understood that if this crud continues you'll bring out the big guns.  Document EVERYTHING.  If local laws permit it, record the conversation and let 'em know that you are doing so.  If you've legal counsel, see if they will fire off an official letter to Comcast.  Saber rattling if you will.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 12:09:56 AM »
Frelling.... well said, Scorpius (or Harvey).   grin

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 05:33:41 AM »
NOTE: regarding the below advice - ALWAYS BE AS NON-CONFRONTATIONAL AS POSSIBLE. SPEAK SOFTLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY ALWAYS HAVE YOUR DUCKS IN A ROW AND KNOW OF WHAT YOU SPEAK. DON'T MAKE THREATS - MAKE PROMISES.
=================================================================================
Call customer service again. Ask them to record the call. Make sure you record the time and date. If you can then record the call your self and let the weenie you're talking to know you are. If you get any flack about that ask to speak to a supervisor and explain why you are recording the call.

After you're thru dealing with the customer service rep ask him to send you in writing a summary of what you were told. If he says he cannot do that then ask to speak to a supervisor. Summarize your tale of woe to the sup and again ask for a summary of the fact that you owe nothing in writing.

You might get lucky and actually get the letter; if so forward a copy to the weenies at comcast.

In any event make sure you get the names of both the supervisor and the customer service rep at adelphia so you can reference them in any written communications you make to Adelphia and comcast.

RE: Collections Agency
Make sure you communicate with them in writing. Send the letter as registered mail return receipt and keep the receipt. Let them know that you contest the bill and explain why. Give details. You have a limited time to do this before they will let loose the hounds. To contest the bill you must inform them in writing.

Don't waste your or their time by calling 'em to contest the bill they automatically assume you're a dead beat and phone calls (except as noted below) are pretty worthless. A letter is a whole different matter and is a paper trail that can be followed if need be.

Collections agencies make their money by getting a cut of whatever they collect - usually anyway sometimes they'll buy a debt. What that means is they want to put as little time and effort into collecting a debt as possible. Make it tough on 'em. Communicate often. Written is best for legal purposes but call 'em if you want and tell 'em to get off your back. There are laws that cover when and who they can call. Get familiar with those laws and if they break 'em then explain what law they broke, reference the actual law number, tell them to cease and desist in both verbal and written communications and let them know you will take civil action if they don't comply. Collections agents thrive on intimidation; they eat, sleep, and breathe it as long as they are the ones doing the intimidating.  They don't like it when someone tries to intimidate them - ESPECIALLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 06:43:42 AM »
Your first stop should be back at Adelphia, to get a letter stating that at the time of the sale their records show you as owing no money and possessing none of their equipment.

If this ends up on your credit rating, your option is to contest it in writing with a statement that will be added to your report.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.