Author Topic: How difficult is it to build a desktop PC?  (Read 4826 times)

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Re: How difficult is it to build a desktop PC?
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 01:20:53 PM »
It is definitely better to build your own mid to high performance PC.

As for the lower end:

You might see some pre-built PC for just $300, with what SEEMS like good specifications.

Example:

Super-Swish Mc Mega PC = $399

300Gb Hard drive!
Newest AMD64 CPU!
512mb Graphics!
1GB of RAM!
19" TFT Monitor!

Most people see that and think "WOW, OHHHHHHH---MIIIII----GAWD!"

The reality:
300Gb hard drive! - Yawn, that's small fries, and is probably a clunky 8Mb or less cache equipped model

Newest AMD64 CPU! - Yesterdays technology. AGING FAST.

512Mb Graphics! THE MOST MISLEADING OF ALL! - Unless they state what model it is, it is probably one of the asthmatic older cards, re-released by ATI or NVidia with extra video RAM. SLOW AS ALL HELL!

1Gb of RAM! - So? That's nothing special now, and is probably going to be be 2 sticks of crappy 512Mb budget RAM. When you get Windows Vista, that will not be much to shout about at all.

19" Monitor! - Again, so what? It is probably some generic crappy flat screen with not much to write home about when it comes to response times and resolution.

As a general rule of thumb, so long as you are willing to shop around for the best prices, and put it together, you can save $100 bucks EASY. Often more.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 07:43:40 PM »
The best thing about building your own is that you get ALL the documentation... The bad thing is that now you are your own tech support.

I'd really like a case that I can rack mount.

Blog under construction

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 02:08:44 AM »
You might see some pre-built PC for just $300, with what SEEMS like good specifications.

Uh, I was recommending this for people like my grandmothers, who's idea of high-end games are mahjong and solitare.

Super-Swish Mc Mega PC = $399

One set of grandparents are on disability and the other's on social security,  $400 is still expensive for them.

300Gb Hard drive!

They'll still never use all of it

512Mb Graphics! THE MOST MISLEADING OF ALL! - Unless they state what model it is, it is probably one of the asthmatic older cards, re-released by ATI or NVidia with extra video RAM. SLOW AS ALL HELL!

More likely a business edition on-board video card. Still, as long as it can play mahjong and solitare, they'll be happy.  Putting extra ram on a video card that's already been produced isn't economically worth it for a business.  Creating economy video cards is.

Newest AMD64 CPU! - Yesterdays technology. AGING FAST.

Still equals more than 10x the CPU they'll need/use.  My parents are still tooling around with a CPU from 2, my grandparent's are on a 400mhz machine.

1Gb of RAM! - So? That's nothing special now, and is probably going to be be 2 sticks of crappy 512Mb budget RAM. When you get Windows Vista, that will not be much to shout about at all.

It'll run XP, Office, Internet, and the aforementioned games just fine.  My relatives are on:  '98, ME, and 2000 respectivly.  They're not going to run out and go get Vista just for the heck with it.  We're lucky if they run windows update.  They're on dial-up internet.

19" Monitor! - Again, so what? It is probably some generic crappy flat screen with not much to write home about when it comes to response times and resolution.

The better to see you with.  They'll run it at 800x600, just so they can see the pictures.  Blurry is just fine.  Response time?  We're talking about the generation that grew up with radio and B&W TV's,  VCR quality video.  They won't be doing anything fast enough to be bothered by slow response times.  Heck, they run their CRTs at 60hz.

Know your customer and their requirements.

*Edit:  Fixed tags and removed unnecessarily large font.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 04:20:10 AM »
Good response, Firethorn.

Not all computer owners are gamerz.

Wise people wait until Microsoft releases at least one Service Pack before going to the next bloated OS, anyway.  Hence, Vista will be way down the road before XP falls by the wayside.  undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 01:06:53 PM »
Indeed, if you only intend to use it for basic home duties, then you are quite correct Mr. Firethorn.

Myself, however, I store a lot of multimedia (audio and video) and do game a fair bit.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 01:46:49 PM »
Indeed, if you only intend to use it for basic home duties, then you are quite correct Mr. Firethorn.

Myself, however, I store a lot of multimedia (audio and video) and do game a fair bit.

Then you may be a candidate for either buying a midline machine or building your own.

Storing multimedia is easy, you can go out and buy a 500 gb add-in HD for $160.  It'd be tough to buy quality DVD-R's for less.  Add another $40-50 and you can get a USB/Firewire holder for it if you don't have any more room inside your computer.  There's performance benefits associated with seperating your data files and program files anyways.

Computing has become a lot like guns.  You can spend almost as little or as much as you want, there's dubious benefits past certain price points, and you get the occasional great deal or lemon.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 01:33:27 PM »
Let's see...

Case with PS: $50
Mommyboard: $50
Processor with fan: $75
Drive: $50
DVD Drive: $50 (ish...)
RAM: $50 (ish)
KB and rodent: $25
Windoze XP: $100

Now, I can buy a refurbed business box for $200...

No brainer.

I'm not a gamer, so basically if the computer runs faster than my cable modem, I'm good. All I use this computer for is internet, powerpoint, word, excel, and Corel Draw...

I _would_ like to do a media machine... Probably a bit higher motherboard, better processor, more RAM, some external SATA hard drive connectors, all in a rack-mount case...
Blog under construction

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 03:27:56 AM »
I'm not a gamer, so basically if the computer runs faster than my cable modem, I'm good. All I use this computer for is internet, powerpoint, word, excel, and Corel Draw...

I _would_ like to do a media machine... Probably a bit higher motherboard, better processor, more RAM, some external SATA hard drive connectors, all in a rack-mount case...

I AM a gamer

Now, last time I built a computer.
Case:  $75, PS was another $75.  What did I get for 3 times the money?  A case with superior cooling qualities in a quiet package and a PS rated for ghastly conditions and still quite.  The only 80mm fan in the box is on the processor.  All the case and power fans are 120mm.
Motherboard:  $120, Came with hardware RAID capabilites, onboard surround sound.  Yes, I can get cheap motherboards with this today, but this was years ago.
Processor, Heatsink&fan:  $400.  The top of the line was over $800,  I got mine for 1/2 price by stepping down two notches (about 200 mhz)
DVD-R Drive:  $25, it was on special
Ram:  $200, 2GB was pricy then
KB & mouse: $50, I bought a better quality optical.
Windows:  $50, OEM special
HD's:  $400, I bought two of them
Video Card:  $200, on special, one step below best.

Result:  $1600 computer that'd keep up with 2.5k gaming machines from most manufacturers.

Result:  I'm still gaming on it four years down the road without problem.  Even new games work fine.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 04:02:40 AM »
Quote from: Firethorn
Ram:  $200, 2GB was pricy then

It is worth it though, isn't it?  grin I have 2Gb in my beast, and it really makes a difference in Battlefield 2 and in Oblivion.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 07:13:07 PM »
Firethorn, I didn't say that was an end-all-be-all machine... Just what it'd cost to do a relatively low end one... It's actually cheaper to buy a "box in a box" for folks who just need minimal capabilities...

My media machine will -hopefully- not have mommyboard sound... I'm going to want to add my own, and don't want the hassle of multiple crapola...

Now, my FIRST computer, I spent about what you did on the parts... lasted me a couple of years too... Had a "turbo" 8088 chip, 640K of RAM, and I upgraded the hard drive to 15 megabytes (a full-height, 5.25" wide Tanden), all in an "AT-style" case... I guess this proves I'm older than dirt...

Computers are REALLY cheap right now... And cheaper if you're satisfied with "internet/typewriter" type use...

Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2007, 07:22:32 PM »

My media machine will -hopefully- not have mommyboard sound... I'm going to want to add my own, and don't want the hassle of multiple crapola...

Now, my FIRST computer, I spent about what you did on the parts... lasted me a couple of years too... Had a "turbo" 8088 chip, 640K of RAM, and I upgraded the hard drive to 15 megabytes (a full-height, 5.25" wide Tanden), all in an "AT-style" case... I guess this proves I'm older than dirt...

Bogie, there are good reasons for not using motherboard sound in machines where performance is important.  Even if the board comes with it, you can usually disable onboard sound in BIOS and use your own board.

Your first home built sounds a lot like mine.  Makes me feel old, it does.  Thanks a lot.   laugh
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2007, 07:46:29 PM »
A couple of things...

The motherboard/CPU combo deals at Fry's almost always involve really nasty motherboards.  Both in terms of quality (meaning reliability!) and features.  Avoid like the plague.

Newegg is pretty good to deal with.  Their user reviews aren't "doctored" as near as anybody can tell.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 10:38:40 AM »
You know, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea sometime to see if we could do some group buys on computer parts... Granted, they won't be "custom" machines, but hey...

Blog under construction

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 05:18:09 PM »
Firethorn, I didn't say that was an end-all-be-all machine... Just what it'd cost to do a relatively low end one... It's actually cheaper to buy a "box in a box" for folks who just need minimal capabilities...

I think I've said that myself before.

You want something cheap, and don't know much about computers?  A Business box can be your answer.  Even for your multimedia machines, you should be good as long as you're only doing simple movie editing(IE not trying to remake SW Ep III). 

Your choice, my sound's good, that's all I care, and it's one less hassle.

When 8088's were around I was in elementary and, lacking a job, was dependant upon my dad for my computing resources.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 06:14:23 PM »
You know, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea sometime to see if we could do some group buys on computer parts... Granted, they won't be "custom" machines, but hey...

We'd need a count of how many and what type. I feel that the different types of processors, motherboards and RAM might pose a problem. I happen to prefer AMD processors over Intel, yadda yadda yadda
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2007, 06:50:36 PM »
Probably have to get EVERYONE who would want to participate on one wagon... A few dozen motherboards, a few dozen case/ps combos, a few dozen DVD-R drives, a few dozen chips, a few dozen drives, a few dozen fans... the ram can probably be relatively variable What am I forgetting?

Blog under construction