Author Topic: Florida Non-Resident CCW Renewal?  (Read 757 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Florida Non-Resident CCW Renewal?
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:17:39 PM »
I just got my renewal notice for my first renewal of that permit. They want me to send in fingerprints again. Does anyone else have a FL non-resident? Is that new? I did not have to do that for Utah or Arizona renewals.

Of course they want them on a card versus electronic, and there's an additional $42 fee for them to process the prints, above and beyond what I pay for getting them done locally.

I'm kinda thinking of bagging the FL permit. I'll have to doublecheck, but I don't think it gives me any more than what UT and AZ do (it used to give me WA, which the others didn't but now do).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Florida Non-Resident CCW Renewal?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:13:36 AM »
Not new. I have Florida as a non-resident. I had to send fingerprints when I got it, and I had to send them again when I renewed. The renewal was probably about three -- maybe four -- years ago.

I don't remember a $42 fee for processing the prints, though. I might have paid it, but I don't remember it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »
Thanks, Yeah, it's $45 for the renewal plus $42 for the print processing.

Interestingly, for an extra $15, you can renew for up to six months after expiration. I forget what the time limit is on my others, but am pretty sure it is much less, if you can let it expire at all without having to do everything over again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:23:39 AM »
I'll try to look up the Florida check when I get home from the SHOT Show. Can't do anything from Las Vegas.

My PA non-res license expired in 2014 when I was recuperating from open chest heart surgery and not allowed to drive. For PA, you now have to appear in person, to be photographed and to sign the new license to have your signature scanned in. I had gotten mine from Centre County. The sheriff, Danny Nau, is very pro gun. I e-mailed the general info address for the sheriff's office to explain my situation, and I got a person response from Sheriff Nau himself explaining that there was a grace period (don't recall if it's three months or six months), so I should be okay.

And I was. As soon as I was cleared to drive (and before I returned to work) I took a road trip to PA and renewed. In and out in less than a half hour. That included waiting for a couple who were there ahead of me, and several minutes chatting with the sheriff when I asked if I could thank him personally for responding to my e-mail.

Florida is PITA. When I first applied, they rejected my first fingerprint card even though it was done by the police department in the town where I then worked because the officer who signed it didn't sign where Florida wanted him to sign, he signed in the box reserved for the officer to sign. They had to send me a second card and I had to ask the guy to do it over.

On my renewal, FL changed their rules and they now accept the officer's signature in the box for "Officer's signature."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 10:59:58 AM »
Thanks,   I need to re-new my Virginia Non-Resident.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »
Ben,

The next time you are in Idaho you should plan a day (or plan a trip around that date) at Center Target Sports in Post Falls and do the ID Enhanced permit. It gives quite a few states.

https://www.isp.idaho.gov/BCI/concealedWeapons.html

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 11:15:44 AM »
Ben,

The next time you are in Idaho you should plan a day (or plan a trip around that date) at Center Target Sports in Post Falls and do the ID Enhanced permit. It gives quite a few states.

https://www.isp.idaho.gov/BCI/concealedWeapons.html

bob

Well, I haven't really brought it up, but it looks like if things go without a hitch, this will be my year to move to Idaho, so I won't even need a permit anymore (except to go out of state). :)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 01:18:23 PM »
Do you non-res plebes have to do fingerprints every time?

I just renewed my FL permit, and I did it online.  Uploaded a new picture (from my cell phone*), gave them a CC number and the shiny new card showed up in about 3 weeks.  Weird that they make it so much harder for non-residents.

*Yes, my CCW is now a selfie.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 01:59:51 PM »
Do you non-res plebes have to do fingerprints every time?

I just renewed my FL permit, and I did it online.  Uploaded a new picture (from my cell phone*), gave them a CC number and the shiny new card showed up in about 3 weeks.  Weird that they make it so much harder for non-residents.

The renewal form I got seems to be for both resident and non-resident, and the "fingerprints required" part is in an "if applicable" section specifying out of state residents. FL sent the renewal paperwork and fingerprint card all on their own. My permit doesn't expire until June.

I like the upload the photo thing. That's what I did for Utah. Arizona does not require a photo on theirs. UT let me do it all online, but AZ had me mail the paperwork.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
I hope you duckfaced.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 07:43:51 PM »

I like the upload the photo thing. That's what I did for Utah. Arizona does not require a photo on theirs. UT let me do it all online, but AZ had me mail the paperwork.

On-line renewal is sooooo civilized. I'm going backward. In the past, I could renew PA by mail or on-line but I had to go to state police headquarters to renew my home state. Now my home state allows mail-in ... but PA now requires me to show up in person.  :facepalm: