Author Topic: "Illegal" Satellite Launch  (Read 990 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"Illegal" Satellite Launch
« on: March 11, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »
I thought this was pretty interesting. A US company was denied permission to launch four small test satellites a a precursor to a large swarm to be used for Internet connectivity. They went ahead and launched anyway, using an Indian rocket.

I actually see the FCC's point for denial. Having hundreds, or thousands, of tiny, untrackable projectiles racing around in Earth orbit could cause great havoc. On the other hand, any foreign companies or governments could have apparently just gone ahead and done this. There doesn't seem to be anything in any international space agreements that would require them to meet a standard in this regard.

From the tinfoil side, 50 years from now, what would keep some backyard jackass from launching his own rocket with 50,000 ball bearings as the payload?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/10/17102888/the-fcc-says-a-space-startup-launched-four-tiny-satellites-into-orbit-without-permission

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: "Illegal" Satellite Launch
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 01:15:36 PM »
Does the FCC license Russian and Chinese satellites -- or the radio frequency used to communicate with them?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »
. . .
From the tinfoil side, 50 years from now, what would keep some backyard jackass from launching his own rocket with 50,000 ball bearings as the payload? . . .
Didn't the Russians or Chinese already do something like this some years back when testing their ASAT weapons?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »
Didn't the Russians or Chinese already do something like this some years back when testing their ASAT weapons?

I don't know. I was thinking more along the lines of, given technological advances in 50 years, that it might be possible for any schmuck (not to mention every terrorist in ragistan) to send (or try to send) a small payload into orbit for the cost of say, a DJI 4 drone.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 03:34:25 AM »
Does the FCC license Russian and Chinese satellites -- or the radio frequency used to communicate with them?

In general, the country with jurisdiction over the ground station would be the licensing authority, and would handle that in accordance with ITU guidelines.  I think ITU also handles satellite comms in general, so I don't see how FCC has a leg to stand on if they just went to another ITU signatory.  It's roughly equivalent to going to Cabela's for your fishing license after the WalMart sporting goods counter refuses you over some store policy.

ISTR there are also some international guidelines that kick in when no effective national jurisdiction applies directly.  (For example, you set up your ultra-high-powered radio jammer on a Somali-flagged ship and park it just over the line in international waters near DC, or somehow successfully set up a micronation then start a 500,000W 24 hour polka station on 121.5MHz.)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:50:25 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.