Author Topic: Austin bomber blows self up  (Read 3253 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Austin bomber blows self up
« on: March 21, 2018, 07:30:08 AM »
I thought this had been discussed elsewhere but can’t find it.

Austin serial bombing suspect killed in dramatic confrontation; ID'd as 24-year-old manhttp://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/21/austin-bombing-suspect-kills-self-with-explosive-as-police-close-in-report.html

Used surveillance footage and cell phone triangulation to find him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Austin bomber blows self up
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 07:33:42 AM »
Not an unusual fate for bomb makers. Too bad he didn't make that mistake before he managed to kill anyone.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 07:47:55 AM »
It's being discussed here, but more in a political context as to how once again Trump is to blame for it all, basically.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=56974.0

I'm REALLY hoping that this guy turns out to be a radical freaking leftist.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
Not an unusual fate for bomb makers. Too bad he didn't make that mistake before he managed to kill anyone.

I think he killed himself intentionally.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:02:38 AM »
I think he killed himself intentionally.

Yeah, I just saw that.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 09:15:08 AM »
A local police officer reported that 5 swat guys were surrounding the car when he blew himself up.  One of the swat guys had a small piece of glass hit his cheek.  No other injuries.  Since the media is basically ignoring this, I wonder if the dude's name is Mohammed.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »
Guy has been identified as Mark Anthony Conditt.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
Guy has been identified as Mark Anthony Conditt.

Guy? You don't know how the gunman self-identifies.  :mad:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 10:29:10 AM »
It appears to be a white male Christian (Fox News quotes his mom as saying he was thinking of going on a mission), so that should keep the MSM busy.

These things are always odd to me, because he apparently is intelligent enough to make sophisticated (at least according to news reports) explosive devices, but not intelligent enough to anonymously browse Google or to take the battery out of his phone.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/03/21/how-tech-caught-killer-tech-behind-catching-austin-serial-bomber.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 10:46:55 AM »
These things are always odd to me, because he apparently is intelligent enough to make sophisticated (at least according to news reports) explosive devices, but not intelligent enough to anonymously browse Google or to take the battery out of his phone.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/03/21/how-tech-caught-killer-tech-behind-catching-austin-serial-bomber.html

The fact he was all ready with a self-destruct device may imply he was just waiting to be caught.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »
I was interested to read about the cell phone triangulation, and locating the phone with the GPS to within 5 to 10 feet.  I do not routinely have the GPS in my phone turned on and use the location setting by wireless and phone networks.  I wonder if that means that I can only be pinged and located within several hundred feet.   If we can now locate a bad guy within 5 to 10 feet by the cellphone they have on them, I wonder when we will start to think about just taking them out with a drone armed with a tiny precision-guided weapon.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »

That article doesn't even begin to live up to its title. It's very unclear regarding the difference between cell tower triangulation and GPS geolocation. It seems to confuse a "subpoena" with a written request for assistance. And it doesn't tell us anything about how the FedEx store video tipped them as to the guy's identity.

Basically ... useless.

Longer article, but still very light on actual information on how they identified him as a suspect and zeroed in on him:

https://www.statesman.com/news/breaking-austin-bombing-suspect-dies-police-close-official-says/KZmUAGvKlNazDr31EzeUzI/

I wonder if the lack of information is intentional. That would actually make sense -- it's frustrating to us, who want to understand these things, but why tell other bad actors exactly what they need to do to protect themselves from being traced?

Slightly better article:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/austin-bombings-suspect-believed-neutralized-sources-n858576
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 02:29:53 PM »
Word is they evacuated a 5 block area around either the guy's home (or the home of his parents?) and wouldn't tell the people why.

Some other parts of town were also evacuated for unstated reasons.

After the guy blew himself up, one of the local news stations went to his parents' house and talked to them - before the police got there!   (Cops were right on top of this, eh?)

Parents claimed their son had moved out "years" before and had a roommate. Denied all knowledge that their kid was a mad bomber. Neighbors interviewed said the family was quiet and kept to themselves, never causing any trouble, and the mad bomber seemed just like a typical neighborhood kid as he was growing up.

Too bad the bomb that blew up the guy wasn't the first one to go off.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:34:56 PM »
"The suspect is deceased with significant injuries," Manley said, adding that he has not yet been positively identified by the medical examiner.

The ME involved in the suicidal guy who parked in the woods and blew himself up by firing a rifle into a bunch of Tannerite described the body as being severely fragmented.

I don't know how they knew but IIRC Officialdom said it was about 100 lb of the stuff.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:49:41 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 12:14:22 AM »
He blow'd up good.  Blow'd up real good.

"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 01:38:38 AM »
The ME involved in the suicidal guy who parked in the woods and blew himself up by firing a rifle into a bunch of Tannerite described the body as being severely fragmented.

"This could be him, or it could be hydraulic fluid.  I need somebody dumb to taste it for me."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 10:40:16 AM »
His blog:

http://definingmystance.blogspot.com/

Rather deficient in grammar. Not a poster child for the efficacy of home schooling ...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 11:26:08 AM »
It's probably the MSM being the MSM, but what are the "very unique battery packs from China"?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/22/austin-bomber-had-target-list-used-very-unique-batteries-purchased-from-asia-mccaul-says.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »
It's probably the MSM being the MSM, but what are the "very unique battery packs from China"?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/22/austin-bomber-had-target-list-used-very-unique-batteries-purchased-from-asia-mccaul-says.html

That phrase has featured in numerous articles, and I think it came from law enforcement, not the media. I'm also curious as to what "very unique" batteries he bought from Asia. Most likely, it's just some off-brand 9-volt transistor batteries he bought from Amazon. The "unique" may be nothing more than the brand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »
That phrase has featured in numerous articles, and I think it came from law enforcement, not the media. I'm also curious as to what "very unique" batteries he bought from Asia. Most likely, it's just some off-brand 9-volt transistor batteries he bought from Amazon. The "unique" may be nothing more than the brand.

I was thinking it might be nothing more than low self-discharge NihMs or whatever, or maybe Lithium batteries.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »

Probably.  After all, if you're just going to destroy it on the first use, why not get the 100/$9.99-with-free-slow-boat-shipping pack on eBay?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »
He apparently bought around 20 battery holders and other stuff from the local Fry's . . . which provided CCTV video and receipt information to the police on about 30 customers who'd bought similar items recently. (Presumably the cops had some idea of what they were looking for by analyzing fragments of the first few bombs.)

The battery holders shown on the TV news story looked like they'd hold about 4 AA cells.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 02:24:50 PM »
They were high-capacity, military-grade, assault-style batteries, with barrel shrouds.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »
After all, if you're just going to destroy it on the first use, why not get the 100/$9.99-with-free-slow-boat-shipping pack on eBay?
Because you want it to actually go boom instead of ... not?