Author Topic: End Gun Violence!  (Read 2265 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: End Gun Violence!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 11:16:29 AM »
From what I have heard, violent crime in London and GB in general is and has been very high.  It just wasn't gun violence and fewer people died so the liberals didn't care about it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
I have to wonder if the culture that brings this to the table -
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5918750/richard-osborn-brooks-hither-green-burglar-stabbing-bailed/

Is the reason for the increase in violent attacks in formerly Great Brittan.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »
Have to be careful with any crime data from the UK. They have very strange reporting vs the US. Crimes are counted for example when the case is resolved if I recall correctly so cases that don’t have convictions are not counted. They also have some sort of weird thing with how coroners classify deaths that make it so many potential murders aren’t actually labeled as murders.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 12:30:14 PM »
Have to be careful with any crime data from the UK. They have very strange reporting vs the US. Crimes are counted for example when the case is resolved if I recall correctly so cases that don’t have convictions are not counted. They also have some sort of weird thing with how coroners classify deaths that make it so many potential murders aren’t actually labeled as murders.

So you're saying the statistics could be far worse than they are presented?

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »
So you're saying the statistics could be far worse than they are presented?

Most likely yes. I’ve read about these issues with their stats a few different places.

Just a quick search showed this blog by someone explaining some of it.

http://rboatright.blogspot.com/2013/03/comparing-england-or-uk-murder-rates.html?m=1

He could be wrong as could I be. I’ve run across these exactly explanations in a few places though so I think the issue is real.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 03:15:18 PM »
This is the same country that had multiple child sex rings uncovered.  The police knew they were there and couldn't be troubled to do anything about it.  I would guess their statistics are far worse than reported.  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/11/1000-children-may-have-victims-britains-biggest-ever-child-abuse/
https://www.rt.com/uk/421032-child-sex-telford-abuse/
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/mar/12/1000-children-victims-worst-uk-abuse-ring-telford

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal
Wikipedia has an entry for a different one.  

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-22522232
I think this is a different one than the first set of links.  

I caught a little news on all this the other day, but didn't have time to go into it.  Maybe I need to start a new thread on this.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:29:37 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 03:24:51 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 02:07:40 PM »
If I lived in England especially in certain areas I'd invest in a chainmail shirt and wear it under a loose sweater or sports jersey or some such garment.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 02:09:17 PM »
If I remember right, doesn't England already have very strict knife laws?  I seem to recall that pointed chef knives had to be replaced by sontoku style blades because of those law.  Pocket knives are pretty  much illegal, especially lockblades.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 02:37:25 PM »
If I remember right, doesn't England already have very strict knife laws?  I seem to recall that pointed chef knives had to be replaced by sontoku style blades because of those law.  Pocket knives are pretty  much illegal, especially lockblades.

Check this page out: https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »

"Zombie knives". Well, we have "ghost guns" so I guess we can't make fun. Even most multi-tools are apparently illegal.

I can't recall the last time I went more than a day without using my knife for something, and without the lockblade, I'd be going through a lot more band-aids, or worse.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »
If I lived in England especially in certain areas I'd invest in a chainmail shirt and wear it under a loose sweater or sports jersey or some such garment.

That sounds an awful lot like self-defense.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 03:20:31 PM »
"Zombie knives". Well, we have "ghost guns" so I guess we can't make fun. Even most multi-tools are apparently illegal.

I can't recall the last time I went more than a day without using my knife for something, and without the lockblade, I'd be going through a lot more band-aids, or worse.

We have ~5-10 18-22 year old co-ops and I am amazed when I ask them if they have a knife in their pocket and they reply "No, why would I need that?"
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
"co-ops"?

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »
"co-ops"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_education

Cooperative education (or co-operative education) is a structured method of combining classroom-based education with practical work experience. A cooperative education experience, commonly known as a "co-op", provides academic credit for structured job experience. Cooperative education is taking on new importance in helping young people to make the school-to-work transition. Cooperative learning falls under the umbrella of work-integrated learning (alongside internships, service learning and clinical placements) but is distinct as it alternates a school term with a work term in a structured manner, involves a partnership between the academic institution and the employer, and generally is both paid and intended to advance the education of the student.[1]

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 05:30:22 PM »
Rule 9: Never go anywhere with out a knife

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »

"When guns knives are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns knives."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »

In Scotland, 16 to 18 year olds are allowed to buy cutlery and kitchen knives.

Well, that obviously has to be raised to 21. David Hogg will be over shortly to start the campaign.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 09:25:07 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwXpXg78VQA
At about 12 minutes in or a little more he talks about wearing mail armor.  I think he is in Italy.

My only concern would be some jurisdiction might outlaw body armor and want to mail is body armor.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0kgYHxOOZ0
He gives a couple links to buying it in this one.  Never thought about that.  Might be neat to have. 

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
It's not armor, it's full-body jewelry.  ;)
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

griz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 10:18:47 PM »
When I saw this headline from the second link:

'It used to be men in their 20s - now children in school uniforms arrive with stab wounds', says top London surgeon 

I was surprised it wasn't followed by a demand to ban school uniforms.  Problem solved.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »

Pretty sure that would violate the rights of the poor unfortunate criminal. Gives an unfair advantage making it harder to get his things.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 08:07:00 PM »
"When guns knives are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns knives."

Let me rephrase that:

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have knives.

http://www.newser.com/story/257611/6-detained-in-foiled-plot-to-attack-race.html

Police thwarted a conspiracy for an organized knife attack on a half-marathon in Berlin. No names or nationalities given, but the story provides enough information to allow formulating a semi-educated guess.