Author Topic: Brooklyn Barbeque  (Read 1623 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Brooklyn Barbeque
« on: April 06, 2018, 07:05:31 PM »
You can find the link and read it if you want, but I won't give Vice, or their affiliate "Munchies" any clicks. A real, "not The Onion" article they wrote: "Why is Brooklyn BBQ taking over the world?"

This is the saddest BBQ plate I've ever seen in my life. Go back to the drawing board Brooklyn:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Brooklyn Barbeque
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:06:46 PM »
Looks sad and bland.  Reduce the portion by half it could be the new mandatory meals after the US slides into communism :lol:...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »
Apparently there is some good BBQ in Brooklyn, but the lame hipsters at Vice used that photo for "best in the world" The restaurant it came from was apparently furious with them. I saw a few other pics, and those actually looked tasty.

I also have to give the restaurant credit for their name, "Fette Sau", which is German and a derogatory term for (usually a woman) translated as "fat pig" (literally "fat sow"). Pretty balsy for an SWJ city.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 07:12:48 PM »
Why would they post a photo of table scraps with an article about a BBQ? Where's the BBQ photo?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
You can find the link and read it if you want, but I won't give Vice, or their affiliate "Munchies" any clicks. A real, "not The Onion" article they wrote: "Why is Brooklyn BBQ taking over the world?"

This is the saddest BBQ plate I've ever seen in my life. Go back to the drawing board Brooklyn:

My 3 year old grand daughter will put away more brisket, or any other properly BBQ'd/smoked meat than that in one sitting.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 09:01:04 PM »
It's not just hipsters that produce lousy BBQ.

Some years ago some Bubba, his shrew and some kinfolk opened what they called an authentic down-home Alabama BBQ place. It was utter crap.

Tasteless, chewy meat. Tasteless beans. Rolls hard enough you could use them in a sling for taking down medium-sized game and cornbread that went to crumbs if you looked at it too hard, and just about the worst greens this Californian has ever had the misfortune to be served.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 10:50:21 PM »
I recall there was a barbecue place in College Station, TX that had a special where you got some brisket and a block of cheese served on butcher paper.  I can't remember if bread came with it.  It was really cheap and wasn't a whole lot more than that.  Catering to college students.  I don't think they are open anymore.  College Station has more big city stuff now days.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »
I recall there was a barbecue place in College Station, TX that had a special where you got some brisket and a block of cheese served on butcher paper.  I can't remember if bread came with it.  It was really cheap and wasn't a whole lot more than that.  Catering to college students.  I don't think they are open anymore.  College Station has more big city stuff now days.

I've been there.  And I can't remember the name of the place, but I can almost remember it.  "Tom's", maybe?  I think you got some pickle slices and raw onions too.  Not sure about the bread; it was about 30 years ago.

Thanks for the reminder :)
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 05:29:32 AM »
This few slices of dried up left over roast beef is what you get for BBQ after the meat sin tax takes effect

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 11:11:55 AM »
It looks fine to me -- if it's a half-portion.  It could be a full meal if it had some side dishes and some sauce.  Pinto or baked beans, potato salad... 

(what's with the sad dinner rolls?  Should be sliced white bread)
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 04:07:51 PM »
Brooklyn:

And a couple of samples from Rudy's, "The Worst BBQ In TexasTM"

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »

This photo of Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que is courtesy of TripAdvisor

The Z-man Sandwich:

Nick1911 will confirm what I and Anthony Bourdin say is one of the 15 places you have to go eat at before you die, Joe's Kansas City BBQ (formerly Oklahoma Joe's)

That Brooklyn BBQ looks like what prisoners get as a Sunday meal if they've been "good".  Those are the most pathetic buns I ever seen.   Like someone sat on the Hawaiian rolls on the way back from the grocery store...sad....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 09:35:28 PM »
Proper BBQ:

Blacks of Tejas.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 10:19:16 PM »
Quote from: Amy Schumer link=topic=57122.msg1156829#msg1156829 date=1523144987
Nick1911 will confirm what I and Anthony Bourdin say is one of the 15 places you have to go eat at before you die, [i
Joe's Kansas City BBQ [/i](formerly Oklahoma Joe's)

In the summer of 07 I was an intern at an outfit in Kansas City.  Myself and some intern friends had a thing going that summer: we would try a new BBQ place every Friday.

Oklahoma Joes was the best, in my opinion.  And that's back when it was only in one location; a gas station.

Despite opening more stores and rebranding itself, it's still very, very good.  However, perhaps three years ago, I decided that Woodyard BBQ tipped the scales for me personally.  Although now woodyard has had some exposure on food network... we'll see where it goes.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 11:04:05 PM »
KC BBQ will kick their butt the same as a grass fed KC strip beats an imported New York strip.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »
That....that is some shitty looking brisket.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 12:07:25 PM »
I think this belongs here:

https://youtu.be/R6_eWWfNB54?t=23
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »
I think this belongs here:

https://youtu.be/R6_eWWfNB54?t=23
Sometimes I think companies would do better rehashing old commercials than what they do now.  I guess their current advertising agencies wouldn't care for that.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:08:56 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »
My bad brisket this weekend, which ended up being glorified smoked roast beef, looked better than that *expletive deleted*it.
I've kicked the *expletive deleted*it out of chicken and pork shoulder, but haven't been able to accomplish a good brisket in my electric yet.  I bought a "flat" and it cooked way too fast at 220.  Need a big fat piece that will take forever to cook.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 12:23:43 AM »
If we're talking about portion size and sauce (lack thereof), doesn't the McRib beat this Brooklyn thing on both counts? (Never tried either one, myself.)

I'm guessing this has more to do with a poor choice of accompanying photograph than anything else. Still pretty skeptical about Brooklyn taking over the world, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 12:37:54 PM »
In the summer of 07 I was an intern at an outfit in Kansas City.  Myself and some intern friends had a thing going that summer: we would try a new BBQ place every Friday.

Oklahoma Joes was the best, in my opinion.  And that's back when it was only in one location; a gas station.

Despite opening more stores and rebranding itself, it's still very, very good.  However, perhaps three years ago, I decided that Woodyard BBQ tipped the scales for me personally.  Although now woodyard has had some exposure on food network... we'll see where it goes.

Next time I'm in KC, we'll have to go.   =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »
I so thought this was going to be about a fire in one of Trump's properties.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 01:31:34 PM »
I so thought this was going to be about a fire in one of Trump's properties.

Uh, I assume you're aware of this:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/29166/breaking-video-shows-fire-trump-tower-nyc-ryan-saavedra

In Manhattan, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
Uh, I assume you're aware of this:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/29166/breaking-video-shows-fire-trump-tower-nyc-ryan-saavedra

In Manhattan, though.

Yes, but doesn't he own property all over NYC?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 12:47:51 AM »
Brooklyn:

And a couple of samples from Rudy's, "The Worst BBQ In TexasTM"

Used to eat at Rudy's a fair amount when I lived in Austin.  I miss those joints.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.