Author Topic: Lucky Duck  (Read 1345 times)

Lee

• friend
Lucky Duck
« on: January 20, 2007, 04:21:16 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2007-01-20-duck-fridge_x.htm

Shot duck survives 2 days in fridge
Posted 1/20/2007 5:13 PM ET    E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this Subscribe to stories like this
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP)  The duck wouldn't die.

Wildlife officials said the feathered Lazarus had been shot by a hunter and put into his refrigerator for two days. That's when the hunter's wife opened the door and the duck lifted his head, giving her a scare.

The man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her," said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. "She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The hospital's staff had the daughter take the 1-pound female ring-neck to Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75% chance of survival, but probably won't ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times.

He understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

"This duck is very passive," Hale said. "It's not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands."

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Lucky Duck
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 07:38:11 PM »
I'm surprised Preacherman hasn't "punned" this thread yet. 

It just seems like a perfect set-up for a real groaner.  grin
Andy

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 08:02:01 PM »
...Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said... He understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead...."This duck is very passive," Hale said. "It's not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands."

Kind of amusing I thought, that (my impression of) the vet's comments weren't malicious towards hunting/hunters. Not that vets as a whole are anti-hunting, just that the media usually presents that impression.

My first thought when I read the intro to the article was that the hunter was an idiot, but then after reading the vet's comment, I reflected, "have I always checked the exact spot of the birdshot impact when I retrieved dead game?"

I still think the hunter pretty careless for leaving game in the fridge for two days without cleaning/plucking.

I do think this little duck deserves a pass and a nice spot at the local zoo/park/sanctuary for surviving shooting in a refrigerator for two days.

I wonder if the lady discovered that her lettuce, spinach and collard greens were all ducky nibbled Cheesy
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 04:15:01 AM »
Yum... Cold Duck.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 09:42:23 AM »
Maybe he'll end up on an insurance commercial. 

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 09:46:17 AM »
What gun for zombie duck?

Since Peter is busy working Sunday, I'll take this one:  I'll bet the duck woke up in a real fowl mood. police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 10:12:24 AM »
I bet this has happened before, just that on those occasions the chilled fowl got its neck wrung instead of a trip to the vets.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:03:36 PM »
I have never hunted duck before, but don't you normally gut them or cut the head off at least? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 08:40:35 PM »
I have never hunted duck before, but don't you normally gut them or cut the head off at least? 

I always did with poultry/fowl. I don't think it's exactly kosher not to properly bleed an animal after you kill it. Any other persons religious concerns aside (meaning to say I'm less concerned for myself with regard to religious consideration, than with my own health concern) , it's a whole lot easier to get the blood out of a critter while it's warm (not "alive" in the sense that it feels anything, but if it's heart is still pumping it will bleed out a lot quicker), and I'm pretty sure it's healthier, and you're less likely to catch a parasite from a properly bled critter than otherwise. It's also a heck of a lot easier to pluck a bird warm.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »
wabbit season!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 09:29:03 PM »
wabbit season!

Duck season!! (grab, pull, bang, groan!)
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 02:49:52 AM »
I'll bet the duck was really down. police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 05:31:37 AM »
When my dad & I went fowl hunting, we always gave the pheasnats we shot a "whirl" (slung around with a grip on their head) to ensure no pheasant recovered while in our game bag.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 05:33:23 AM »
If the wife had gone on to prepare the duck for supper in a fowl mood, you can be her hubby the hunter would have gotten the cold shoulder.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton