Author Topic: 'Mischievous Responders' Confound Research On Teens  (Read 1119 times)

MechAg94

• friend
'Mischievous Responders' Confound Research On Teens
« on: April 10, 2018, 11:10:33 PM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2014/05/22/313166161/mischievous-responders-confound-research-on-teens

In a 2003 study, 19 percent of teens who claimed to be adopted actually weren't, according to follow-up interviews with their parents. When you excluded these kids (who also gave extreme responses on other items), the study no longer found a significant difference between adopted children and those who weren't on behaviors like drug use, drinking and skipping school. The paper had to be retracted. In yet another survey, fully 99 percent of 253 students who claimed to use an artificial limb were just kidding.

I had to laugh at this when I saw it earlier.  My reaction to seeing this story is I can't believe someone did an anonymous survey of teenagers and didn't have some way of weeding out this sort of answer. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: 'Mischievous Responders' Confound Research On Teens
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »
That ranks right up there with Boaty McBoatface in the funny levels...

Or, even better, Trainy McTrainface, which is actually happening.

https://www.thelocal.se/20171017/its-official-sweden-names-new-train-trainy-mctrainface
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »
Years back, when I first got involved with the juvenile justice system, there was a "major study" of youth done in the area, by some college professor trying to help design a program to address unruly and delinquent behavior.  He went to all the local schools with surveys, promised complete anonymity as well as immunity for any criminal behaviors admitted to in the survey (which really got him in trouble with the prosecutor's office, which was not consulted before the professor made the promise of immunity).  The survey results showed that 40% of males had committed sex offenses, almost 70% of youth were using drugs on a regular basis, and there were confessions to around 25 murders.  Yeah, surveys for teens aren't real accurate...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2014/05/22/313166161/mischievous-responders-confound-research-on-teens

I had to laugh at this when I saw it earlier.  My reaction to seeing this story is I can't believe someone did an anonymous survey of teenagers and didn't have some way of weeding out this sort of answer. 

I remember taking such surveys in high school.  Basically if my survey was to be believed, I was smoking pot and cigarettes while drinking booze and having sex every day.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »
I remember taking such surveys in high school.  Basically if my survey was to be believed, I was smoking pot and cigarettes while drinking booze and having sex every day.

Alternatively, the locker room talk of every teenage boy.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 11:04:45 AM »
Teenagers aren't the only ones who give false answers.

How many Harris/Gallup/Whatever phone polls about gun ownership have been seriously skewed by people who understandably WILL NOT truthfully answer questions about their ownership of guns (or any other valuable item) to some voice on a phone?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »
When I was in high school, we had a very long, sex, violence and drugs survey we were forced to fill out.

One of the questions was "What age were you when you first had sex?"

Virginity was not an allowed option on the answers. ;/

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »
When I was in high school, we had a very long, sex, violence and drugs survey we were forced to fill out.

One of the questions was "What age were you when you first had sex?"

Virginity was not an allowed option on the answers. ;/

They didn't nessecarily mean with someone else.....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »
Heh.  Due to this thread, I browsed around on fakery in general. I discovered this, a fake identity generator:

https://www.fakenamegenerator.com/gen-random-us-us.php

Holy crap, can you believe anything on the net at all?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:25:30 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.