Author Topic: Paul Ryan out  (Read 1038 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Paul Ryan out
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-sources-house-speaker-ryan-125849912.html

Ryan will not seek reelection this year.  I'm smelling a scandal behind the scenes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Paul Ryan out
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:26:38 AM »
I liked Ryan, back before he became a VP candidate. He's been very disappointing since then.

I'm not feeling any sense of loss, unlike when Newt was forced out.

I will note one thing though: Republicans have shown a far greater willingness to give up their positions of power than the Democrats who seem to hold on to the bitter end, fighting tooth and nail to keep their power. (E.g. Nancy Pelosi who is a millstone about the neck of the Democrat Party. Note, I'm not suggesting she leave as that's just where I'd like her to be.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »
I liked Ryan, back before he became a VP candidate. He's been very disappointing since then.

I'm not feeling any sense of loss, unlike when Newt was forced out.

I will note one thing though: Republicans have shown a far greater willingness to give up their positions of power than the Democrats who seem to hold on to the bitter end, fighting tooth and nail to keep their power. (E.g. Nancy Pelosi who is a millstone about the neck of the Democrat Party. Note, I'm not suggesting she leave as that's just where I'd like her to be.)

Partially because of the stuff Mak mentioned, I'm really not a Ryan hater. Whichever party the speaker is from, that's a really tough job where you can't please anyone.

Possibly bias, but I believe doubly so on the Republican side, where there is a lot more "diversity" of opinion than on the Dem side. The dems tend to do the "mob rule rally" which makes things a little easier on the Dem speaker. Republicans seem to always have at least a half dozen factions fighting tooth and nail, and five out of the six will always say that the speaker is doing a lousy job or has F'd up, depending on the issue. Same with R voters vs D voters (IMO).

I have to think it is an even harder job having to deal with the current President.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »
. . . Possibly bias, but I believe doubly so on the Republican side, where there is a lot more "diversity" of opinion than on the Dem side.  . . .
Republicans embrace RINOs, Democrats would cheerfully lynch DINOs.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »

I have to think it is an even harder job having to deal with the current President.

Especially if you make it harder by ignoring the fact that the populace elected the current President for the purpose of accomplishing an agenda, and you set out to sabotage that agenda at every opportunity.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »
Especially if you make it harder by ignoring the fact that the populace elected the current President for the purpose of accomplishing an agenda, and you set out to sabotage that agenda at every opportunity.

Hey, don't be so hard on these guys. It's not that they hate the President (though they do), they've been attempting to sabotage the will of the American people over immigration for at least 2 decades.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 11:17:45 AM »

Trump signed the budget.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 11:18:19 AM »
Ryan was ok where he was, before he was a VP candidate and esspecially before he was speaker.

Imo his tenure as speaker in particular has been a constant disappointment. Instead of embracing the sentiment that gave Republicans the congress and Donald Trump the presidency they've squandered it at every opportunity by caving on pretty much every single issue I can think of and, aside the the President, failing utterly to have any control of the message.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 11:54:05 AM »
Lot of GOP retirements this year.  =|

He now seems like a throwback from a bygone era, when voters expected their politicians to be straight-laced, honest, and sincere. He was serious, and dedicated himself to trying to tell stories to the American people about the fiscal direction of the country – stories which voters mostly ignored because they always seemed to involve hard news and histograms. Wisconsin nice and a truly decent person, Ryan’s approach was doomed in an era that values none of those things. It values the ferocity, the abandon of confrontational politics, not grand bargains and compromise.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »
I was under the impression that Ryan was doing an awful job as speaker, esp regarding immigration and the budget.

Now hopefully McConnell will go away.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Paul Ryan out
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-sources-house-speaker-ryan-125849912.html

Ryan will not seek reelection this year.  I'm smelling a scandal behind the scenes.
I'm smelling a "I ain't got a chance to be reelected, so I'm taking a break before my next political job" scent.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 02:03:45 PM »
I'm smelling a "I ain't got a chance to be reelected, so I'm taking a break before my next political job" scent.....

According to his statement, he wants his children to know him as more than a "weekend daddy".

Because I'd like to believe that people who actually value their families do still exist in politics, I'm going to take him at his word and wish him the best.

I would hope he'd keep as far from DC as possible.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 02:06:46 PM »
According to his statement, he wants his children to know him as more than a "weekend daddy".

Because I'd like to believe that people who actually value their families do still exist in politics, I'm going to take him at his word and wish him the best.

It's a good cover story. I don't believe it for a nanosecond.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 09:30:33 PM »
He knows he won't be speaker after the mid-terms.  It's a good time for him to bail.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.