Author Topic: Idiots at play  (Read 3798 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Idiots at play
« on: April 11, 2018, 11:31:58 PM »
Cyclists protesting a hit-and-run death of a cyclist shut down a maor street intersection, blocking the roads. What could possibly go wrong?

Well ... http://ktla.com/2018/04/11/1-person-hit-by-car-during-vigil-for-bicyclist-fatally-struck-in-south-l-a-hit-and-run-crash-video/

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Idiots at play
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 02:02:53 AM »
Interesting; not a word of it over at BikeForums.  This or the original incident.  Wonder if they were bright enough to keep it quiet and local until their idiocy is done.

Then again, I've also noticed a lack of discussions of Critical Mass and other protest-type activities, so it might be that everything other than Ride of Silence and specific, organized benefit/memorial rides gets shuffled off to one of the rant boards.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:41:56 AM »
Judging by the pictures, these aren't "cyclists" but city dwelling *expletive deleted*it bags. 
Re: critical mass
Speaking of *expletive deleted*it bags.  I showed up to check it out once, and mostly it was urban youths who ride bicycles around downtown, live in loft apartments, and are the types that think traffic laws shouldn't apply to them. 

Side note,
I yelled at a fellow cyclist the other day.  She blew through a stop sign right in front of me, making a right turn into the lane of travel I was driving in. 

Anecdotally, many cyclist and pedestrian accidents are preventable.  Cyclists need to follow traffic laws.  Pedestrians need to not jaywalk.  When you're not doing what cars expect you to be doing, and with the amount of distracted drivers these days, you're begging to be hit.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:46:34 AM »
Judging by the pictures, these aren't "cyclists" but city dwelling *expletive deleted*it bags. 
Speaking of *expletive deleted*it bags.  I showed up to check it out once, and mostly it was urban youths who ride bicycles around downtown, live in loft apartments, and are the types that think traffic laws shouldn't apply to them. 

Side note,
I yelled at a fellow cyclist the other day.  She blew through a stop sign right in front of me, making a right turn into the lane of travel I was driving in. 

Anecdotally, many cyclist and pedestrian accidents are preventable.  Cyclists need to follow traffic laws.  Pedestrians need to not jaywalk.  When you're not doing what cars expect you to be doing, and with the amount of distracted drivers these days, you're begging to be hit.

Your logic has no place in modern society.  Off to the education camp, citizen.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Idiots at play
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 08:48:58 AM »

Side note,

If more cyclist actually bothered to have a brain, a lot fewer people would have the "*expletive deleted*ing cyclists" mentality. I applaud you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:53:11 AM »
From the article:
"The passenger side of its windshield appeared shattered after the hit-and-run."

There's a piece of information that might explain the actions.

Another amusing tidbit:

The sergeant in that LAPD vehicle had happened upon the gathering for Frazier by chance, and he was trying to clear the intersection when cyclists approached his vehicle violently, Ramirez said.

"The group started surrounding him, and then started damaging the police car," Ramirez said. "Hitting the vehicle, kicking it, throwing the bikes at it, and then also breaking a window and slashing the tires."

Around the time of the confrontation with the police vehicle, the hit-and-run occurred.

So, if the morons blocking traffic hadn't attacked the cop, he might have (1) cleared the intersection so no one was injured, or (2) been able to apprehend the hit and run driver.

Seems the morons got what they deserved.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 10:29:12 AM »
I would say the tombstones would be numerous of dead pedestrians and cyclists with the engraved words:  But I Had The Right Of Way.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:32:58 AM »
Virtue-cycling: helping priviliged white people feel like victims since 1992.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:51 AM »
I would say the tombstones would be numerous of dead pedestrians and cyclists with the engraved words:  But I Had The Right Of Way.

=D

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:21:29 AM »

I suggest an amendment: "I demanded the Right of Way even though I didn't have it."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »

Most accidents are caused by pedestrians and "cyclists" (just because you're on a bike doesn't make you a cyclist) who don't have the right of way, or assume they do merely because they are on foot or riding a bike.
64% of California's pedestrian accidents from 2007-2013 happened outside of intersections.
It also seems many "cyclist" accidents occur at night.  I've shared the story before of commuting by bike to work one early morning and nearly clocking a guy on another bike who was riding the wrong way, wearing dark clothing, and had no lights or reflectors.  Literally the cherry on his cigarette is what kept me from nailing him at high speed.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 12:39:43 PM »
From the article:
There's a piece of information that might explain the actions.

Another amusing tidbit:

So, if the morons blocking traffic hadn't attacked the cop, he might have (1) cleared the intersection so no one was injured, or (2) been able to apprehend the hit and run driver.

Seems the morons got what they deserved.
There are times like that I could be okay with a cop just shooting everyone involved.  Once you go full riot, you get what comes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 03:08:01 PM »
One time I was in NYC on a business trip and I saw a (presumed) bike messenger zigging and zagging down the street between cars, blowing through a crowded passenger crosswalk, turning the corner . . . and slamming right into the tailgate of a stopped delivery truck.

Wham.

Truck just drove off. Dazed cyclist and thoroughly smashed bike got no sympathy from the passers by he'd nearly run down.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »
I've shared the story before of commuting by bike to work one early morning and nearly clocking a guy on another bike who was riding the wrong way, wearing dark clothing, and had no lights or reflectors.  Literally the cherry on his cigarette is what kept me from nailing him at high speed.

See?  Smoking saves lives.

I've nearly left hooked one, and only knew it even happened because I heard his freewheel buzz at the last second.  (Nice quiet freehubs save lives too.)  Even then, after turning around to see what the hell that was, I could barely pick him out on a primer gray bike with no reflectors, wearing a gray sweatshirt and jeans.  My headlight (though it claims 8,000 lumens, I've tested it alongside some reputable brands and I'd put it around 500 on low, reasonably comparable to the 700 a car low beam should be producing, which is where I normally run it) was barely enough to give him some contrast against the old asphalt.  For comparison, I can generally see a car's taillight reflectors faintly at a half mile, or quite clearly at about a third of a mile with that same light.

People like him are the reason I keep red, yellow and white reflective tape around the shop and tend to slip bits of it onto any bikes with no reflectors during repairs.  Either disguised in a similar colored area of paint or in places where it'll be a PITA to peel off.  Even a 1" square of it in the right place is surprisingly visible at night.

FWIW, if anyone wants a GUEE Sol 200 (without the useless clock, and I disagree with their "unclear" assessment of the low battery warning: the ring around the switch lights up yellow at least 20 minutes before it dies in normal mode) for $22 plus shipping, (should fit a Flat Rate Small fine, so $7.20) let me know.  Our vendor got stuck with a case or two when they were discontinued, so I'm passing on the savings in hopes of getting more lights on bikes.  USB rechargeable, compact, 3+ hours on normal setting, and plenty bright to be a good backup plan or a primary commute light if your commute tends to stay under 15mph on dark streets.  Also has slow and fast strobe modes if you want an attention getter for daylight riding.  I've already grabbed one as my backup, and didn't get too nervous doing 28mph downhill a couple nights ago while trying it out though I'd recommend more light if one makes a habit of such speeds.

OTOH, have you ever seen a pristine traffic cone or barrel in the wild?  There's just not enough light, reflectives and bright colors to get someone's attention when they're focused on their phone screen.  Hell, we had a fire truck (complete with the big yellow and black chevrons down the back) rear ended a couple weeks ago in full daylight when it slowed to turn left.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
On the way home from Florida last week we saw a guy on a bike that was very visible.  He had a large strobe on the front, was wearing bright clothing with reflective tape and as we passed by, I looked in the mirror and he had reflectors and another strobe on the back of the bike.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 08:08:24 PM »
Tombstone:

Had Right of Way.
But not Right of Brain.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:21:45 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »
Around here of mountain roads, beautiful scenery, log trucks, and the like I have come around a blind corner to find a gaggle of cyclists conferencing in the middle of the road.  Mountain bikers are often out past dark with not the greatest in lighting. I expect non of them to follow traffic laws be ause they don't.

I have limited exposure to urban millennials and their bikes and I don't want to. I saw a custom welded belt drive fixie at Harper's Ferry, complete with, no doubt bespoke, leather hand grips and seat. I left before spotting the owner who I hope someone castrates before reproduction.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 10:35:57 PM »
On the way home from Florida last week we saw a guy on a bike that was very visible.  He had a large strobe on the front, was wearing bright clothing with reflective tape and as we passed by, I looked in the mirror and he had reflectors and another strobe on the back of the bike.

Saw a guy a few months back that had the same set up. Only problem was that his billion-lumen front strobe light was positioned so that it blinded drivers coming the other way.  :facepalm:

Oh, and this was on an narrow, 55 mph country lane.

I've never seen him again; I have to wonder if he ended up causing an accident.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 11:28:35 PM »
We had a 50 something cyclist killed a couple years ago on a county road.  It was a two lane road with little or no shoulder, 55mph speed limit, it was dusk nearly dark, a hilly area, he had no lights and wore darkish biking gear.

The biking community was outraged and wanted the motorist charged with manslaughter.  It ended up with the motorist not being charged with anything, not even a ticket.  Good call by the prosecutor.  I feel sorry for the dead guy's family, but he had only himself to blame for getting killed.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 11:36:26 PM »
Saw a guy a few months back that had the same set up. Only problem was that his billion-lumen front strobe light was positioned so that it blinded drivers coming the other way.

I can't stand front strobes at night; I'm trying to have a bike ride, not a rave.  In general, I only run one around dawn, dusk or in fog, and even then only in places where I'm concerned about left turning traffic.  At night, a solid light or two, plus maybe some good reflective tape should be plenty.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 01:42:53 AM »
Just because you're on a bike doesn't make you a cyclist.

Please explain.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 05:01:46 AM »

Quote from: jamisjockey on April 12, 2018, 10:18:05 AM
"Just because you're on a bike doesn't make you a cyclist."

Please explain.

Just because you have grandpa's old .22 in the back of a closet doesn't qualify you as a "gun owner."  Not even if you have a half box of "bullets" for it.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 07:13:46 AM »
Just because you have grandpa's old .22 in the back of a closet doesn't qualify you as a "gun owner."  Not even if you have a half box of "bullets" for it.
Sure it does. It may not make you a responsible gun owner, or a political gun owner, or a knowledgeable gun owner, but it does make you a gun owner.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 09:37:16 AM »
Sure it does. It may not make you a responsible gun owner, or a political gun owner, or a knowledgeable gun owner, but it does make you a gun owner.

But does it make you a "shooter"?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »
I can't stand front strobes at night; I'm trying to have a bike ride, not a rave.  In general, I only run one around dawn, dusk or in fog, and even then only in places where I'm concerned about left turning traffic.  At night, a solid light or two, plus maybe some good reflective tape should be plenty.
From what I have seen, just a small LED light will do.  It doesn't even have to be very power.  In the dark it will stand out.

I walk a lot in the area near my house.  Often I am out after dark or at dusk without light and sometimes darker clothing.  As far as I am concerned, it is up to me to walk defensively and I behave as if cars have the right of way.  I don't even like it when cars stop to let me go by.  I would rather they just go ahead and let me cross behind them. 

The other night I happened to be crossing through a nearby intersection right when the little league baseball fields were emptying out.  I decided to wait for the cross walk to tell me when to cross as people were turning right on red without even stopping and obviously not watching for pedestrians.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge